What's new

Strategy Ambiguous Cross Up!

Found this out by pure fluke last night, but when you land F4 ~ Ice Ball on a crouched opponent, if you jump from the the spot you recover immediately and use 1/2 (most likely looking for 2 1 4 ~ Slide to finish), this causes an ambiguous cross up. The jump 1/2 hits as a cross up, but Sub Zero does not auto correct his direction and the spacing looks like he is landing in front of and not behind his opponent. You do end up however on the opposite side of your opponent and can finish the combo as normal. This could be useful to mess up breakers and get a little more damage as your opponent would be holding in the wrong direction thinking it's just a normal jump in. I have a feeling that learning the spacing from 2 2 ~ Ice Ball would also be possible.

I think he means because you have to hold F+BLK to break, that it will confuse opponents to hold B+BLK thinking he landed in front of him instead of in back of him.

I think he means because you have to hold F+BLK to break, that it will confuse opponents to hold B+BLK thinking he landed in front of him instead of in back of him.
Yeah he did, he says so right in the post. I guess Aleri_XV skipped it : P

Nice find, OP. I'll try it out later in training. Would be really useful when you only need to hit the opp once but they have a breaker.

Often in order to get the unblockable off when they have breaker I'll whiff a punch and cross them up, then go into an unblockable. It's a lot sneakier than just dashing up and charging.

kisan

Noob
Often in order to get the unblockable off when they have breaker I'll whiff a punch and cross them up, then go into an unblockable. It's a lot sneakier than just dashing up and charging.
this is very bad to do against experienced players. They have time to jump over you before you finish the charge and punish you with a full combo.
That's why it's better to walk up and do it since they have no way to get out of it without super armor. Then it just becomes a 50/50 mixup because if they touch a button/direction they will get frozen again but if you think they're not going to touch anything (which will cause the charge to combo and not freeze) you can dash,22,freeze and do the mixup again or finish combo.
most people don't know how to get out of it so 9/10 they're going to try to block/jump to avoid.