What's new

Am I the only one who misses the cartoonishness of MK9?

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm sure you're not the only one, but I disagree. MK's world and characters are way too cool to be relegated to a tiny niche audience and pop cultural irrelevance.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
I'm sure you're not the only one, but I disagree. MK's world and characters are way too cool to be relegated to a tiny niche audience and pop cultural irrelevance.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I haven't been on TYM in quite some time, but if I recall correctly, there always seems to be a desire in a significant part of the community here to "promote" or "grow" the franchise, with the thinking that this will somehow better these games as a result. I think that is a very suspect proposition. The bigger the franchise grows the less influence purists and enthusiasts like those on TYM will have as the value of their contribution to the profits of the company will have decreased relative to the increase in non-purists. This means that the developers will tailor their strategies to a wider, casual audience that doesn't care all that much about the traditions of the game, its lore, obscure characters, etc.

Taking FPS shooters as an example, a lot of the games that were all quite distinctive at one time--Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six, Battlefield, COD--have all experienced significant convergence as they attempt to appeal to largely the same massive, casual audience that didn't give too much of a damn about how any of them were originally envisioned. The larger MK gets the less developers will care about continuity, and more about grabbing as a large an audience as possible at the risk of diluting some of that distinctiveness.

I wouldn't say I want the "cartoonishness" back (letting slide the fact that shtick of MK was always its motion-captured, "photo-realistic" characters), as I actually like the more realistic aesthetic that sets the game apart from most other fighters. Conversely, I dislike the distinctly caricatured look of SFV (visuals are good, just the designs) -- even when compared to SFIV. Injustice 2, one the other hand again, I did not mind the look of.

However, using MKX as a measure (more than the inconclusivity of what M11K has shown us so far), I do miss the Mortal Kombat themology that MK9 captured well. I felt MKX lacked the environments and general overall feel of a 'pure' MK game. It felt almost like... hmm, a cross-over game.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
most opinions are not unique.. I'm sure people agree with you... but I look at MK9 and it is like looking at that 1960s Batman TV Show.. it may still be cool.. but it just looks camp and childish as hell. MKx and 11 has taken things to a new level. I never want it to go back, personally.

Last edited:
I haven't been on TYM in quite some time, but if I recall correctly, there always seems to be a desire in a significant part of the community here to "promote" or "grow" the franchise, with the thinking that this will somehow better these games as a result. I think that is a very suspect proposition. The bigger the franchise grows the less influence purists and enthusiasts like those on TYM will have as the value of their contribution to the profits of the company will have decreased relative to the increase in non-purists. This means that the developers will tailor their strategies to a wider, casual audience that doesn't care all that much about the traditions of the game, its lore, obscure characters, etc.

Taking FPS shooters as an example, a lot of the games that were all quite distinctive at one time--Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six, Battlefield, COD--have all experienced significant convergence as they attempt to appeal to largely the same massive, casual audience that didn't give too much of a damn about how any of them were originally envisioned. The larger MK gets the less developers will care about continuity, and more about grabbing as a large an audience as possible at the risk of diluting some of that distinctiveness.
Just think they might even, gasp, do what Tekken did with Akuma.

Make guest fighters canon to the story! The horror! The horror!

MK9 looks a bit cartoonish now, but at the time I actually thought it was going for a much more grounded and gritty look, especially compared to previous MK games. MKX did have my least favorite stages overall though. They all felt too monotone. I'm glad things seem to pop much more in MK11.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I miss the tower challanges, these new procedural towers are so wack! Mileena that wanted to give Scorpion that teddy bear was super funny.

Besides that I like this new style though. Both Skarlet and Kitana's new designs look way better than they used to be in MK9, and I'm sure Jade's going to be just the same.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Something about the atmosphere of MK games have definitely felt off since WB picked NRS up, seems there's more emphasis on presenting MK as a violent, gritty game first, and a fighting game second, whereas previously, the violence was more of a bonus. I really disliked how even the most 'other-worldly' stages in MKX like the Jinsei Chamber would have guitars thrashed over it's background music.

That being said, the look of the returning characters we've seen so far in MK11 are far more MK-ish than they were in MKX in my opinion, except maybe Sonya.

But leave MK9 to be MK9. You can tell they took waaaay too many notes from SFIV for it's nostalgic/ironic presentation.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I do miss the color, the music and the stages. MK11 so far has the color, but based on what (little) we saw the stages are still looking kind of bland other than Shang's Island and I couldn't hear the music...did MKX have music?

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
I dont miss it in regards of how the game looks, but I do miss it in things like babalities, frienships, some kombat kodes... Some of MK9s challenge tower missions were just so fun, I feel like that is been absent.
Well the new guiding principle of MK, at least since MKX anyway, appears to be no fun allowed. This is serious business.