What's new

Question Am I a mascochist for playing bane?

So the title kind of speaks for itself. I love bane as a character in batman not only was he this hulking monster of a man but he was smart one of the few people to actually figure out batmans identity on his own. But it feels like i have to work 50x harder then the entire cast to get any wins. I either get zoned out by stupid 2 hit projectiles or half the cast have a multitude of moves that beat out mine. Im at the point where im wondering is it even worth it to keep with him or just switch to doomsday.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
So the title kind of speaks for itself. I love bane as a character in batman not only was he this hulking monster of a man but he was smart one of the few people to actually figure out batmans identity on his own. But it feels like i have to work 50x harder then the entire cast to get any wins. I either get zoned out by stupid 2 hit projectiles or half the cast have a multitude of moves that beat out mine. Im at the point where im wondering is it even worth it to keep with him or just switch to doomsday.
Character loyalty can be painful unless your favorite hero/villain starts with S and ends with Man...
It all depends what you want out of the game.. You want to win Evo? You want to win fortune? Fame? Girls? You want fun? Play for leisure?

Any of the above options you are going to have to put in work .. LOTS of work to stay competitive and on the winning side of things..

Keep your chin up man, don't forget, you love the character.. Use that to fuel your need to get better with him.. Besides.. Earning a win feels much better than lame lame lame.. Lame lame lame..

Ps: a lot of times when playing a lower tier character it pays to study the rest of the cast - find what gives the "fortunate ones" the most trouble, then see if your character has any of those traits/skill set in common or work your skill set to the best you can to get on the better side of uphill battles.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
As I always say:

If I wanted to play a character so I wouldn't have to work as hard, then I just wouldn't play the game at all. The way I see Bane, he isn't a character I "have to work with", he is a character "I make the opponent work" with. Plain and simple, you get in and make it so they have to work harder than any other time in their life to get you out. You need to fight like a younger man, with nothing held back.

Sadly ill probably end up dropping him he has nothing going for him maybe one day NRS will buff him and make him playable instead of making scorpion and batgirl op as hell but who knows. N reliable wake up of any kind check. Easily zoned out for day check. No way of reliably getting in check. Sorry bane i love ya but

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Sadly ill probably end up dropping him he has nothing going for him maybe one day NRS will buff him and make him playable instead of making scorpion and batgirl op as hell but who knows. N reliable wake up of any kind check. Easily zoned out for day check. No way of reliably getting in check. Sorry bane i love ya but
Block dash. Only takes about 2 to get across the screen, more or less.

Oh snap.

But seriously, with the improvement to Banes dash he can close in on zoners fairly well. The important part is once you are in, just go apeshit. Do not hold back or second guess your reads. You need to be as fluid as possible.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
I started to use him a couple of days ago. It's like Doombawkz said, you make the opponent work for it if they want to get you out. So far, I honestly think he's not a bad character at all, albeit not an easy one.

DesuBlade

Augmented Wallet Squeeze
Nah, you're not. It is harder for Bane to get in and deal some damage without burning Venom and doing full-screen charge. You just have to adapt to how he plays and how well you can make him work. Regardless of how low-tier a character is, you can still make it work if you're dedicated enough(Not the case for Hsien-Ko or anyone like her in any game).

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
My thinking is this.

NRS didn't want cyrax. So every character with the remote potential for bullshit, such as unblockables or command throws, is shit.

Well, except killer frost, but her command throw isn't really her gameplay, shes a slider. Bane is a thrower, so is grundy. And Shazam. And lobo. And they all suck.

Ares sucks because he has that unblockable set up. Same with Joker and his teeth shenanigans.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
My thinking is this.

NRS didn't want cyrax. So every character with the remote potential for bullshit, such as unblockables or command throws, is shit.

Well, except killer frost, but her command throw isn't really her gameplay, shes a slider. Bane is a thrower, so is grundy. And Shazam. And lobo. And they all suck.

Ares sucks because he has that unblockable set up. Same with Joker and his teeth shenanigans.

What about Black Adam and his corner bombs set-ups? He doesn't suck for sure...

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Fair enough.

I never played MK9 seriously...what happened with Cyrax and his "bullshit"?

Unblockable resets for piss easy damage around 70s and 80s last time I checked.

And he didn't suck outside that too. He had some pretty pimping tools too.

Honestly i want to stick with the character but i dont think i can deal with the rage that comes from getting cheesed out by dumb shit like runaway superman. Which i find it stupid that the iconic characters of dc have to be the top tier: superman,batman,aquaman.

I love Bane and will always play him and I don't think he's exactly god awful, but holy shit he has to work so much harder than the majority of the cast to do anything worthwhile. I love the character but I already tortured myself to death maining Kano. I'm considering picking up another main that doesn't get steamrolled by the vast majority of the top tier and keeping Bane as my sub.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
You can tell a person's personality by who they main in injustice, bane players want to be dominated in this game so they decide to play as the giant leather wearing gimp, Wonder Woman is for future transexuals, Lobo is for the suicidal, and deathstroke is for the sociopaths who want to see the online scrubs die and burn in hell... real talk

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
You can tell a person's personality by who they main in injustice, bane players want to be dominated in this game so they decide to play as the giant leather wearing gimp, Wonder Woman is for future transexuals, Lobo is for the suicidal, and deathstroke is for the sociopaths who want to see the online scrubs die and burn in hell... real talk

No wonder I've recently taken a liking to Bane and Lobo

Just kidding of course :)

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Bane takes patience and acceptance that he is a trade off character. His damage is insane and once on top of a man he can smother them with his positive frames on block allowing him to absolutely stifle someone's game plan once he makes it to them. The tradeoff is you have to accept that you will eat chip damage and have to play reactive to get in. He doesn't have super high priority hitboxes on jump ins like Doomsday that crossup and he doesn't have full screen tracking lows like Grundy. What he has is sick armor and great frame traps. To play Bane you have to learn to dash then block and how to punish certain stuff on reaction. He is a footsie character.

I stick with him because I love footsie characters a lot. I enjoy the feeling of a character who highly rewards me for reading my opponent's movement rhythms and responding to them with easy 30%+ damage everytime. He doesn't get a ton of mixups, but what he does well is blow up people's stuff and smother them. Sticking with him is just a matter of whether or not you play your matches based on learning your opponent or whether you play based on flowcharting or pure rushdown. The latter aren't bad ways to play and are fun, but that sort of playstyle wont help you with Bane too much (though there is a flowchart being made to help folks.)

I've been playing Bane since day 1 when I had to figure everything out on my own because it seemed like no one was playing him, and while he has some match ups that I think are borderline unwinnable unless you are significantly better than the opponent, he does fine against quite a bit of the cast.

I don't do very big combos with him, mostly just simple BnBs into Body Press, or just Double Punch/fd2 overheads if I think they're going to block low. I also very rarely meter burn anything, because the non-MB versions of his specials leave the opponent at the perfect distance to make them guess with high/low/Body Press, which immediately leads into another guessing game if it hits, and having a full bar of meter for super or winning a clash is better than what you get out of MB specials imho. These tear people apart a lot of the time in my experience, because it's a lot easier to guess right as Bane than it is to guess right against him. So, I guess try that if you aren't already.

He also gives a giant middle finger to most characters pressure games due to venom. I think Bane is a strong character, he just has a handful of godawful matchups that also happen to be against popular characters. He reminds me of Zangief in that way.