What's new

Alternate story- what you’d write.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I was really disappointed when MKX did a timeskip instead of retelling MK4-7, and bringing back/updating many of the characters from the PS2 days. I think there was a lot of potential to turn many of the characters that people either didn't like or didn't know about into awesome mainstays, and bring them into the spotlight just like they did with MK9 Stryker and now with Fujin.

After MKX, I really wanted 11 to be about Dark Raiden and Earthrealm invading Outworld, and the Outworld people (led by a competent Kotal) being on the defending side of the tournament. Would have made for a great story with two sides that I wanted to root for.

After 11, I don't really know or care that much because it's all reboot now. I guess what I would do is bring back lots of lesser-known characters, and try to retell the PS2 era, but this time go past Armageddon without any time travel. I think there's potential there, and many characters have their arcs left on a cliffhanger because of the reboots.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
If I got to do a reboot? Oh god, I'd make too many changes.
  • Jacqui and Cassie would never have existed, at least, not as quickly as they were introduced. Don't get me wrong, I like both characters, but I feel like they shouldn't have been introduced so quickly after MK9. I wouldn't have done the massive time jump of 25 years, personally. Doesn't make much sense to me, but oh well.
  • Kitana becomes much more formidable. Call me crazy, but I've never truly thought that Kitana was actually... powerful? Like, she has a couple of great things to her story to call from that would ideally make her powerful, but it sucks that she never comes across as a truly powerful character. I love the idea of her killing Shao Kahn, mainly because it makes the most sense story wise because she was literally trained by Shao himself, the age old Apprentice beats Master, and also, no one has been more harmed by Shao Kahn than Kitana, besides perhaps old Sindel.
  • Skarlet AND Mileena are raised alongside Kitana and are said to be her sisters. I think the story of Kitana and Mileena being trained alongside each other as sisters and eventually Kitana learning the truth (the way the story is told in MK: Legacy) is much more interesting than the way it's told in MK9. So, I'd just throw in Skarlet as well, for flavor, cause I feel like Skarlet needs more story relevance, as I find her really interesting.
  • Cetrion needs to stop getting beat up. It's RIDICULOUS that an ELDER GOD can be beaten by regular old combatants with a little upgrade. Like, seriously? It's insane. Cetrion is an Elder Goddess, who has lived for countless lifetimes, and has the power of the entire world at her disposal. She's literally the Elder Goddess of Life, for goodness's sake!
  • Stop spending so much time on the Special Forces overall. They're cool and whatnot, but they aren't why I personally like Mortal Kombat. I'd put a lot of focus into the Outworld vs. Edenia storyline, the Orderrealm and Chaosrealm debacle, perhaps revisit Shujinko and the Kamidogu, or craft some entirely different stories.
  • Get the buck to stop at Kronika, but at the same time, keep her mentioned, yet hidden away, for a long time. I feel like Kronika is a great idea for a boss character, and I love her design, her voice (Jennifer Hale ate this role up), and the way her mind works is TRULY great in certain scenes, but she just feels... ineffective? Like, her plans make a lot of sense, but we never actually see them work. She never really feels... scary? Like, when Shang Tsung pops up in Aftermath in his final chapter, he genuinely feels scary. It seems like he is strong, powerful, and will destroy anyone in his path. For Kronika, it doesn't even come close. The most she ever really does is steal Liu Kang. Hell, D'VORAH seems like a more effective villain than Kronika; at least D'Vorah has a body count.
  • Then maybe lastly, cause this list is getting too long, I'd revisit the Taven/Daegon story as well as a central point. I liked that idea of the twins born of Gods that signal an eternal fight and condemn the world to Armageddon.