What's new

Question Alternate blockstrings/frame traps with Cat Stance?

TheReflexWonder

Prepare For Trouble
Hello; I'm a relative scrub trying to pick this game up and main Catwoman. Being historically bad at technical skill, it's been a bit of a struggle so far, but, practice makes...closer to perfect...

Anyway, I wanted to bring up some questions that seem more relevant to her gameplay with the new patch on its way. Tomcat (1, F2) is getting brought down from +8 on block to +3, significantly reducing its braindead goodness, and giving Catwoman players less time to do whatever the hell they want in that scenario. It's worth noting that Cat Stance Cartwheel is currently +3 on block and it puts you in a different spacing position, just far away enough to get more use out of F1, perhaps the whip, etc. Hitting with Cat Stance Cartwheel also lets you follow into a standard B3 combo, allowing for something like ~33% without spending any resources (though you're welcome to spend the meter/trait if you want to), which isn't bad, given that the point would be to act as a frame trap while managing to be a solid alternate blockstring.

That said, I'd be very interested in seeing some of the veteran players test her cancels into Cat Stance, as the vast majority of her strings can be canceled directly into it on hit (what else would you expect out of a special move?), effectively replacing the recovery frames with the Cat Stance start-up. Depending on the string, I imagine having better frame advantage than the string would normally have would allow for the aforementioned frame trap Cat Stance Cartwheel into decent damage.

Would anyone be able to go frame-by-frame to figure out the number of start-up frames on Cat Stance? I'm absolutely sure that the 0 listed in her Move List is incorrect by a great deal. Best-case scenario would be that we could find some strings where Stance -> "Un-Stance" would improve our frame advantage, but that's getting ahead of ourselves for now. Either way, I think this is the most likely point where the next big stride in her gameplay will be found, so I would like to actively encourage testing with it. If need be, I can compile a list of moves that can be canceled into Cat Stance, but without the actual frame count involved, I wouldn't be able to do much more than that. Would love some help with that part.

ALSO, as an aside, the especially-low hurtbox that Cat Stance allows for makes me wonder what "important" moves could be avoided via Cat Stance, perhaps even during not-so-tight blockstrings. Any ideas on that?

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I've done some testing on Empty Cat Stance Cancels. Nothing of note in terms of combos. The scaling and gravity appear to make ECSC's useless, though I could've missed something.

On the other side, it would be interesting to go through specials and see what a Cat Stance evades that high evade doesn't, if any.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Justice

Noob
The best use I've found so far is as a kombo ender. Ending a kombo with Stance 3 puts you at jump/Low Whip range to continue your pressure.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I use cat stance cartwheel in corner to launch aftter any starter followed by f2 up whip, 112 MB Cat dash, and b3 if its a transition corner or f3 if not for 44 to 50% damage off of one meter.