What's new

Question Alt for mirror match?

Hi, first time poster here on TYM.

As of right now, Sub is my definite main. I feel most confident when playing as him, with the exception of my current biggest gripe: the mirror match.

Currently, my alt is Smoke for zoners/teleporters that normally give Sub fits. (Scorpion, Noob, etc.) It works well so far, but I'm still stuck on a good switch for another SZ player. It seems like the obvious thing to do would be to play a zoner myself, but that's not really my playstyle, so I'm hoping for other suggestions.

So yeah, help? Anyone?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Go with one of the characters that gives your SZ iissues. If they are difficult for you to play against, they are likely hard for someone else's SZ to play against.

On a side note, how do you prevent a mirror match or a bad matchup? Are you always waiting for your opponent to pick first, then counter-picking?

If you find it hard to fight Sub, then perhaps you need to work a little harder on your own Sub. You should know the character inside and out, and should know exactly what the opponent's strategy and mindset is, so the fight should be a walk in the park. A few tips:
- Get the lead early, then do nothing but turtle.
- Make sure you duck the opp's ice instead of blocking it, so that you deprive them of the extra meter.
- If you're losing a round by a lot, and don't have time to gain the lead again, there's nothing wrong with getting yourself killed to build some meter (or just sitting back throwing ice and dropping clones).
- If you have XR, and the opp is throwing ice, armour through it to make them respect you the next time you have XR. Even if the dmg won't give you the lead, it's good to condition the opponent. Having them fear what you can do is often more valuable than actually doing anything.

When you fight Sub, you realise how scary the character actually is (and how annoying!) You realise how your opponents must feel, and it should empower you. The mirror-match is probably the biggest test a Sub player will face, and one should embrace it.

Face yourself!

Or just pick Ermac...

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Get Lead: Sit back behind a clone and wait.

He cant damage you from afar so he will come to you, and will likely land on a clone or iceball on the way to you. Just beware of ex icebeam trades.

All valid points, but I must retort.

As I stated, the characters that give me the most issues are zoners (i.e. Noob) which is not my typical playstyle, so I don't pick up on those characters that well. I prefer to stay aggressive, or at least play a switch game, which is why I main Sub-Zero. So while I agree with your logic, it's not a good call for me personally.

And by "you," do you mean me? Or just anyone in general?

I agree 100% about stepping up my game with SZ to feel more confident in the mirror match (which is currently a tough one for me), but I always like to have a plan B just in case. That being said, I know my game still needs work, and I'll be keeping at it, and taking every bit of advice that you just gave. I especially like the switch tactic of "go aggro, then turtle."

And even though you're probably joking, Ermac may not be a bad call. He has everything that SZ hates and then some. Maybe I should look into that...

You're saying you don't like sitting back and turtling? That's fair if so, but surely if it's something that could easily win you the match, it's worth doing. What don't you like about it?
As you basically said, Sub is good because you can choose to turtle or be aggressive, but certain match-ups require more of one than the other (or all of one). The mirror-match is one that requires the former. Otherwise you're just increasing the odds of getting caught in a Clone or something. And seen as Sub can't do any dmg from range, why be risky when you can just win?

By "you" I meant anyone in your situation, I guess. Seen as I'm replying in your thread, I guess I meant you specifically : P

I wasn't joking about Ermac. He's a bad match-up for Sub, so it's good to learn him (both for the match-up, and to learn the character in case you're facing one as Sub).

Glad my advice seemed to help.

lol i agree with mech about facin yourself but sometimes its a mentally annoying match up lol, so ill either use ermac or cyber sub zero

You're saying you don't like sitting back and turtling? That's fair if so, but surely if it's something that could easily win you the match, it's worth doing. What don't you like about it?
As you basically said, Sub is good because you can choose to turtle or be aggressive, but certain match-ups require more of one than the other (or all of one). The mirror-match is one that requires the former. Otherwise you're just increasing the odds of getting caught in a Clone or something. And seen as Sub can't do any dmg from range, why be risky when you can just win?

By "you" I meant anyone in your situation, I guess. Seen as I'm replying in your thread, I guess I meant you specifically : P

I wasn't joking about Ermac. He's a bad match-up for Sub, so it's good to learn him (both for the match-up, and to learn the character in case you're facing one as Sub).

Glad my advice seemed to help.
If turtling is what I have to do in a mirror match setting, then I'll do it. I'm just saying that I'd prefer to not switch to a character whose primary strength is just that. I know that Ermac is essentially that character, but there's quite a bit more depth to him that I've discovered that I have with Noob. I'd be more than willing to learn how to play EasyMac (heh) for the matchup, but he's gonna need a loooooooooooot of work. I'm currently decent with Ermac, but I'm not at all great on doing anything on instinct, except for block punishing (TKS, jk, Teleport, TKP/XRay). Either way, he's still winning out by a longshot.

Since you pointed it out, my primary way of playing Sub is aggro, but I know how to be selective in most matchups, but the one that I have the most trouble with is the mirror, hence why I was seeking help.

Oh, and I tried CSZ. In fact, I even considered maining him at one point, but I'm not very well-versed in bomb traps, and that seems to be the only thing he has over SZ (well, that and the Dive Kick), but for me, it lacks versatility, so I switched. As of right now, CSZ doesn't do anything for me against Sub-Zero, so I'll likely just go with Ermac for my Plan B.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
....but I must retort.
LOL

Oh, well, allow me to retort. What does Marcellus Wallace look like to you?

I think Quan Chi would be a good alt (specifically for Subz). Trance does wonders against people setting up ice clones, and it also nabs the slide. Plus, it leads to a full combo. Another would be Ermac, due to the insane range of TPS. Also, I could see Cyrax doing well, solely on the fact of using bombs to get Subz out from behind his ice clone.

Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie ever, so yeah, there's your reasoning. Thanks for catching that, too.

Quan Chi is someone I just never really bothered to give the time of day. Tried playing him a tad in practice, wasn't a fan. Cyrax is significantly better, and a worse matchup for SZ from what I've seen, but still not really my style I suppose.

I actually feel like CSZ's dive kick counters clone, slide, ice ball pretty nicely if you space and time yourself right

*Also his own slide is a nice mind fuck with the added ability of dive kicks and teleport*