What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick All the reasons of Hat Trick's struggle

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

I've but a very short video under 3 minutes, with everything that is wrong with Hat Trick, this is my last complaning video and hopefully helps ppl to understand why i don't believe simply giving him "more pressure" or "Hat only going away on the knockdown" will be fine.

For once, The hat going away as it is is fine, because that way Lao gets the ex spin threat back, the issue is not ppl poking out of traps because it goes away on one hit, is how exposed he gets, he loses everything aside from poking and teleport, which is a big call for a bad design

On The other hand, the way he stays without hat only works under one condition, the opponent needs to be in between KL and the Hat Trap itself, so Above Hat Trap and Away Hat Trap are extremely useless, Above Trap far more but away trap falls short due to one single thing, lao can't extend his strings or convert into combos once the hat is out and not behind the opponent.

We could discuss this all day, Hat Trick is already linear as it is, if he can't use Away or Above Trap to setup better traps than the obvious ones from low and mid trap midscreen which makes his game very linear, might as well just pick tempest or Buzzsaw and do the same thing with ex Hat Spin or ex Hat Toss at some extend.

The point is, in order for Lao to use all his traps on a viable way instead of just one, he needs to be able to land a hit~Call his hat~continue to land a hit and spin for an extention, i firmly believe this will make him far more technical and far more fun to play in general, it will also step away from the currently model of every if not almost all single character charging up with 50-50 mixups pressure like Sonya does.

The video is self explanatory really, there isin't nothing too complicated or too unfair IMO and nothing game breaking at all, so i will end this rant here, anything else related to the buffs below is all well presented in the video.

Just to list what i suggest to change if NRS still hasn't given up on trying to make all possible variations in the game viable, these are my suggestions:

Fixes
1. Hat Hitbox increased to stop whiffing on characters crouch blocking and neutral crouching to avoid it, like Cassie Sonya, Reptile, or Any one sized with a Sub-Zero's Hurtbox ETC.

Buffs
1. Same juggle Height for when HCB hits either stand or crouching opponents, same Juggle Height of low HCB for when it hits crouching opponents as well

2. Juggle Height lightly increased to ease up conversions
3. Ability to extend combos out of 11212~HCB with 44 string being a 2 or 1 frame link, so he can extend his combos when hatless this would also make his away and above traps more threatening

4. New Above Hat Trap command that places the hat upwards but forward or away to actually give usability to this tool set which in some MUs i feel is much needed like Takeda, Kitana etc.

5. Slight advantage when using 112124~hat trap, +3 should be enough to grand him at least a d4 check

So before entering posting up, take a good look at this video, then discuss it.

@ETC Mcfly
@I GOT HANDS
@Youphemism
@ThePantyChrist
@BigPampering
@ A F0xy Grampa
@Just2Swift

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yup, I realised that it's just missing things. I play it and I feel like it just doesn't add up and I can't seem to figure out what it is lol. He plays a game of trying to make people respect the hat traps since that's the whole point of the variation but they don't need to most of the time, I know they were buffed already but I actually think they need to be faster (which technically you already agree with me on because you want 112124~HT to be +3 and you'd have to buff the speed of Hat Trap to do that ;) )

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Yes, Hat Trick was my go to when game came out, and its utter garbage... hat needs advantage to follow with pressure, back hat and up hat need more options for placement.
he should have different string advantages on this variation. im sick of it never being used. id main the shit out of it, if the issues got fixed.

thank you @Eddy Wang : for starting this thread:)

@I Am The LK

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yup, I realised that it's just missing things. I play it and I feel like it just doesn't add up and I can't seem to figure out what it is lol. He plays a game of trying to make people respect the hat traps since that's the whole point of the variation but they don't need to most of the time, I know they were buffed already but I actually think they need to be faster (which technically you already agree with me on because you want 112124~HT to be +3 and you'd have to buff the speed of Hat Trap to do that ;) )
Yes there is that, but in general have only that doesn't solve his issue

The was how is HCB is programed is beyond me, to actually have a different height on hit when it connects on ppl crouching and not comboable at all lol

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I agree with 1, 2, and 5. 3 might be a luxury buff. But 4 really seems like a waste of energy. I think every character has tools that are useless or just not as good as the others. This is just one of those whatever tools

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Wang these are the reasons why I don't play him. It's like playing cyborg all over again the struggle is to real for this variation great video. I hope they allow him to set hat traps while airborne and hat call out of teleport also. And in his break down on the NRS stream he could use spin without his hat lol

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
It would be nice if we hit mid with callback consistently, and if above hat trap worked and gave us some AA that we sacrifice to put hat up, however, the big issue is definitely the third one. Need to be a threat with hat out, as it stands it's just Tempests Hat Apin, except it requires a set up. This is really just a swag variation till it gets fixed, there is some utility in the 50/50 corner set up however it starts off a high, really this character is just a big gimmick until he gets some sort of link or something by whiffing HCB, it's super close as is

Well tbh, I have caught someone with it in a real match.
Pretty anecdotal. Any video of this happening? Because I'm betting every instance of someone getting caught in the above trap could quite easily be responded by pointing out how they did absolutely EVERYTHING they could to be caught by it (intentionally or not). Being able to put it further forward or back is not a massive buff, it also could use start-up or travel speed buffed. I think Travel speed would be an important fix for the characters trap triggers in general.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Yeah that Above hat is not viable in most situations, and like eddy stated, low and normal hat has some issues with connection. Back hat is utter garbage for anti teles...speed and collision should be fixed...i for one would enjoy Hat Trick being useful and a competitive Variation.

and for those that are scared of the variation becoming well competative, i say competative because usually thats what it seems opthers are conserned about... we need to allow buffs to hit the ground running, they can always be adjusted later on if it is to crazy... it needs to be done, and for that to happen, the very well known community fear of
Needed buffs needs to be forever forgot and buried!

Noone in this forum should say, Hat Trick doesnt need a buff, because he could become to strong... he is nowhere near strong. and needs many adjustments, i would even go as far as that variation Needing Variation Specific Strings with something to offer (like Frame advantage and or Positive strings or safer juggle catching strings to use in conjunction with Hat Call).
this could add a reason to use Hat Trick Over the dominate Tempest.

i feel if Hat trick was at least brang to a normal setting, we could find real skill with this character in ways not imagined from Kung Lao

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well tbh, I have caught someone with it in a real match.
I've caught someone with it too, but not intentional, he just happened to jump forward in the corner with above hat out, but that can't be done intentionally, is virtually impossible to AA someone with above Trap on reaction or conditioning.

Yeah that Above hat is not viable in most situations, and like eddy stated, low and normal hat has some issues with connection. Back hat is utter garbage for anti teles...speed and collision should be fixed...i for one would enjoy Hat Trick being useful and a competitive Variation.
[/USER]
Against teleporters is the worst, they will switch sides on reaction to get you on a stance where you and your hat are useless, that is why i told the panty christ that links from hat call should be a thing, definitely not a luxury buff, how the hell will he control space if he can't do shit when he is hatless. That is not a luxury buff.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Oh that.
Pretty sure that wasn't there when they buffed ex Hat, but after a few weeks i noticed the damage wasn't the same we were cashing out when we got the patch, i didn't quite knew what it was until today.

Pretty sure Colt added a new script that scales damage when you use a second ex hat in the same combo.

Actually the biggest issue is that if I see u do a string into the hat setup ur getting full combo Ed. U can't get the hat out safely in strings.

That's the biggest issue. And thank god.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Yes, Hat Trick was my go to when game came out, and its utter garbage... hat needs advantage to follow with pressure, back hat and up hat need more options for placement.
he should have different string advantages on this variation. im sick of it never being used. id main the shit out of it, if the issues got fixed.

thank you @Eddy Wang : for starting this thread:)

@I Am The LK

@I am The LK