What's new

Question - Impostor Air Tricky Teleport

Does anyone here have any good uses for it? I've been trying to learn Shinnok and I haven't found a way to implement that into my game. I would throw it out randomly and hit punch for a bounce and yeah it would work a lot and sometimes I would completely miss and people never really punish me for it (The reason for that is I don't play at a high level and I'm sure the randoms I play online don't either).

Can you guys tell me what situations I should be using it? When I shouldn't? How open am I when I miss it? How can I lead into it or follow up with it? Sorry for being so vague but with the way I have been playing Impostor I'm not understanding the need for it but I'm sure if I learn how to use it properly it would up my game that much better.

Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.

Bad Genez

Green
I use it as a gimmick sometimes, I condition an opponent with a bunch of Tricky Tele NJP until get used to trying to punish, either with a NJP of their own or an uppercut. Then I just empty jump, run up and whiff punish whatever they throw out.

Mainly though, it's used as a tool for his 50/50 Mimicry vortex. Granted that it's a move that leads back into the vortex, the idea with Shinnok is to end a combo in Mimicry, and then force your opponent to guess high or low. After Mimicry, you get that brief stun period in which you can Tricky Tele, and then from there your options expand.

Tricky Tele NJP - You follow up with your combo. If all goes according to plan, you should then use the stolen special move (You can follow up the NJP with a few strings, I use 2,2 mainly, but F2,2 works just fine as too, timing's just a little stricter.), with the EX properties most have a bounce, you just catch them with a Mimicry, rinse, repeat.

They block the NJP - You can now follow up with either F4 for a low starting combo into EX Hell Sparks --> Mimicry vortex. The alternative is B3, which is your low starter, after which you F22 -> Special/Mimicry.

The vortex can be done just fine without the Tele, but it does add a bit of depth dynamic of his vortex.

If you can manage to master the Instant Air Tele as well, it's an excellent way to punish slow projectiles full screen with full combos with the NJP.
Also, just for good measure, sometimes I like to throw out Tele -> Kick. His NJK has some pretty stellar downward range.

Hey, thanks for all this stuff you typed out. I do have a question though: When you say instant air tricky portal I'm assuming you're doing that off the ground but as low as possible, right? I can't pull that off but I also find that when I do the move even on mid height the NJP won't come out. It's only when I do it a little higher than mid height the NJP will actually come out and hit. Am I doing it wrong and would you you happen to know a way to do the instant air tricky portal more efficiently on an arcade stick? Thanks for any help.

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
I bought a fight stick after MK9 days to learn skullgirls and SF4 tech, so that i could be a little bit more well rounded by the time MKX came out. The trick to impostor is instant TAP's, and a simple up-down-up on a JLF stick is what can do it. I have 14000 mk9 matches played, all on a 360 pad. Sadly, my verdict is you won't get instant air portals if you're using a pad.

I can do IATP on a ps4 pad. I use two thumbs: right one presses up on the d-pad joystick, and the left one presses down up on the actual directional buttons. It comes out extremely low to the ground. GGA max says he does the same thing but pressing both up and down up on the directional buttons with both thumbs)