What's new

Air priority and a lack of proper AA normals

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
you can anti air with normal if you space it out properly and you could always trip guard or armor the jump in. I wouldn't object to a universal d2 buff but I have no problems with the current system

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Online it's a joke, you can hop around like a mad fool for free. You just have to eat the block string. Offline the only true reliable aa seems to be d2. Some normals are effective but I feel you need to anticipate with it especially against certain characters jump ins i.e. Kotal, etc.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
As it stands right now, there are a bit too strong, as there seems to be little to no risk in jumping in this game, especially with run making it so easy to get in. This was an issue in injustice for a while too, and they ended up buffing d2's universally so I'm sure they are looking at it. Then again from what I've heard it was hard to anti air in mk9 at the beginning of the games life, and people figured it out so we will see.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Of all the things to say "it's fine" and "level up" about, the AA's are on the bottom of that list.
Why? Air attacks aren't breaking the game. No character is winning solely off of air attacks (well Tanya kind of but that was a character specific issue) so it's just a somewhat unorthodox part of the neutral where jumping is really good. I'm all for buffing specific character AAs if they are getting destroyed by jumping but I just think instead of bitching about the game you should either quit or shut up and adapt. Part of the reason I switched to tempest lao was because of his great AA.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Why? Air attacks aren't breaking the game. No character is winning solely off of air attacks (well Tanya kind of but that was a character specific issue) so it's just a somewhat unorthodox part of the neutral where jumping is really good. I'm all for buffing specific character AAs if they are getting destroyed by jumping but I just think instead of bitching about the game you should either quit or shut up and adapt. Part of the reason I switched to tempest lao was because of his great AA.
You're playing Tempest Lao, but telling every other character user to shut up because they actually can't AA jump ins on a read literally half of the time.

Hilarious.

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Please decrease active frames on jumping attacks and buff active frames and or hitboxes on jabs and d2's.

Why is there no risk vs. Reward meta in jumping? Very little risk for either free pressure or a free 50/50 is just silly.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You're playing Tempest Lao, but telling every other character user to shut up because they actually can't AA jump ins on a read literally half of the time.

Hilarious.
If you can't AA or get some kind of punish then your spacing was off. Also what God declared the law that AA needs to be good in a fighting game? Why can't jumping be a strong tactic? Also hell yeah I'm telling other people to figure it out and not bitch. I had a problem in this game and found an answer to it.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I had a problem in this game and found an answer to it.
Complaining about a problem is so normal I'm surprised there isn't a gene for it.
And there's also nothing wrong with complaining.

However, does this mean that you did, in your own words, "bitch" and consider "quitting" before you "adapted" to playing as a character with the best AA in the game; implying there was something to complain about or adapt from?

As for why jumping can't be a strong tactic, I am misunderstanding the question.
Jump normals lead to combos or jailed strings. Nothing to argue with here, that's how most fighting games work.

What people are taking an issue with is that, in efforts to halt an opponent's jumping with a normal (or sometimes even an enhanced special), they are consistently beaten and blown up for making a correct decision.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Some jumping attacks are really dumb. Scorpion jk being one of them. I have no idea what they smoked in NRS when they made his jk have like bazillion of active frames.

But hey i play Kenshi and i rekt jump in people with RK and crossups with EX RK. Especially online fools.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Complaining about a problem is so normal I'm surprised there isn't a gene for it.
And there's also nothing wrong with complaining.

However, does this mean that you did, in your own words, "bitch" and consider "quitting" before you "adapted" to playing as a character with the best AA in the game; implying there was something to complain about or adapt from?

As for why jumping can't be a strong tactic, I am misunderstanding the question.
Jump normals lead to combos or jailed strings. Nothing to argue with here, that's how most fighting games work.

What people are taking an issue with is that, in efforts to halt an opponent's jumping with a normal (or sometimes even an enhanced special), they are consistently beaten and blown up for making a correct decision.
I adapted to the fact that jumping is really good in this game and said, wow I really should play a character that deals with that well. I didn't really bitch or complain beforehand, I just looked at how the game was playing and what I needed from a character. I think there is something wrong with complaining when you do it instead of leveling up. With the question about "Why can't jump attacks be good?" I mean, why is there this idea that AA should automatically be better than jumping? Just because it's the norm in street fighter or whatever doesn't mean it's a law. And finally, if you are getting blown up then you clearly making the wrong decision (outside of glitches or whatever that literally make things inconsistent).

Immortal

Blind justice....
I adapted to the fact that jumping is really good in this game and said, wow I really should play a character that deals with that well. I didn't really bitch or complain beforehand, I just looked at how the game was playing and what I needed from a character. I think there is something wrong with complaining when you do it instead of leveling up. With the question about "Why can't jump attacks be good?" I mean, why is there this idea that AA should automatically be better than jumping? Just because it's the norm in street fighter or whatever doesn't mean it's a law. And finally, if you are getting blown up then you clearly making the wrong decision (outside of glitches or whatever that literally make things inconsistent).
God, you can't be that clueless nor ignorant...

There is no leveling up, since AA with normals is so weak it usually means you gonna get punish for doing the right thing. And no jump ins shouldn't be that strong for simple reason they lead to full combo obviously which means you lost 30-40% of life by making the right read/decision.

Also picking character on how the "game is playing" is the stupidest thing i ever heard. If that would be the case then everybody would play Tempest Lao atm.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
This thread was already done with >>>videos<<< showing how absurd jumpins are, so yes, they are NOT ok, they are broken and stupid and something should be done, yes.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
God, you can't be that clueless nor ignorant...

There is no leveling up, since AA with normals is so weak it usually means you gonna get punish for doing the right thing. And no jump ins shouldn't be that strong for simple reason they lead to full combo obviously which means you lost 30-40% of life by making the right read/decision.

Also picking character on how the "game is playing" is the stupidest thing i ever heard. If that would be the case then everybody would play Tempest Lao atm.

You level up your spacing by learning to trip guard better and things like that. Stop saying you are making the right decision when you are not - if you get hit you didn't make the right decision. Just because you personally think that you should be able to anti air in a certain way doesn't mean you should be able to. And if jumping really was that big of a deal everybody would be playing tempest. However the top players are not just jumping all over the place. It's simply not dominating the game to the point of breaking it. Stop complaining about strong tools because you personally think they are scrubby.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If you can't AA or get some kind of punish then your spacing was off. Also what God declared the law that AA needs to be good in a fighting game? Why can't jumping be a strong tactic? Also hell yeah I'm telling other people to figure it out and not bitch.
Not true. My secondary is Jacqui. Play Shotgun or High Tech and enlighten us all about how you can AA consistently on the earliest of reads. We'll be more than happy to listen.

Game-wise, it's the first game I've actually ever seen where on a read I can still get punished for AA'ing with half of the cast. There's nothing to "figure out" in this situation. If I say "oh look at this jump happy fool" and uppercut or standing normal on a read, and get full combo punished anyways, then it's game mechanics, not player fault.

I had a problem in this game and found an answer to it.
Yes, you switched your character to Tempest Lao. So basically your only logical solution is for everyone to switch to Lao so we can consistently EX Spin on reaction for AA's, since 95% of other AA's aren't reliable? Makes sense. Would be the best EVO ever.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

Hilarious.
Wait, who can't aa on read? Can't any character early njp and etc? Also on read you can walk back/run under punish. I know aa is difficult in this game and I'm not disputing that.