What's new

Strategy After Spending Some QT With Good Ole Doomy

Gamble

Noob
This is a very basic, broad spectrum strategy discussion from a guy who just usually scrolls through the forums and finally decided to contribute. I definitely do not claim to be some sort of pro, or an end-all be-all Doomsday guru. However, I have spent quite a bit of time with Doomsday on and offline, and I'd like to get some feedback. I understand there are guides kicking around, but those were made mostly day one, and this is less of a knowledge dump and more of a "I want to talk Doomsday with other Doomsday mains" post.

So, a few bad points. And of course these are not all of them. Doomy has holes in his game all over...

1. Doomy's combos are trash.
Even after a we discovered his JIP d1, ES MB combos and squeezed 42% out of it, its still nothing compared to the rest of the cast. You can throw a few of these into a match, but that's if you get some good oki setup pressure going and you catch a JIP d3 on wakeup. All in all, the guy can't keep up with Grundy players putting out 50+ with their hands tied behind their back.

2. Even with an armor trait, zoners are trouble.
Good zoners, and especially ones that use Deathstroke/Joker can spam out gunshots all day, stop your Supernova takeoff animation, and then wait for your jump in. Doomy's armor trait lets you run through a few of those shots, but it's not always around. His EX Venom is a good way to get in as well with the armor built in, but if you're playing someone who has played a decent Doomsday at least once they are waiting for that full screen EX Supernova or an EX Venom to close the distance. Using these moves and having them whiff for a wasted MB move... that's the bane of any Doomsday.

3.But that meter tho, brah...
Doomsday is one of the most meter dependent characters in the game, as even the crap combos he puts out rely on an MB ES. EX Supernova is GREAT against anyone that can't put out a projectile fast enough to stop startup frames, or remember to dash. Once people start remembering to dash when they see it though, it will only be there for some mixup game. EX Venom is extremely useful too, and all of these great EX moves end up leaving you starving for just one more bar half of the match.

And so, on to the good.

1. The Oki/Pressure King.
For close up pressure, there aren't too many characters that do it better. A low hitting super move that can bounce, an unblockable air attack, and a shoulder charge that's safe on block; Doomy can rush you down like a boss. Getting a knockdown, and especially a corner knockdown, Doomsday SHINES. His JIP d3 is arguably the best crossup attack in the game and his special moves can lead to some crazy mixups. A couple Supernovas,a belly flop, and an EX Air Venom to get around that block for a bounce will throw the best of them for a loop.

2. You can get around almost anything, even those zoners.
I've watched a couple other people play Doomsday, and I have to say, most of them underestimate the use of EX Air Venom. Most zoners, especially if you're playing more than just one match, will figure out how to dash the Supernovas, block the EX Venom for two hits, and turtle/run away when they see the armor trait pop. EX Air Venom gives us that one more tool we needed to keep them guessing. Block a few Deathstroke shots, make him think you're about to go for the full screen Supernova, and then when they dash catch him on the way down from your EX Air Venom for the bounce, and a full combo (albeit a low dmg combo, but still a combo).

3. We're still learning.
Day 1 and 2 people were straight up yelling at me about using Doomsday. It's still there a bit, for those people that can't figure out the pressure, but the OP discussion has died down. However, I'm thinking late-game and especially once we all start to see different matchups, we will see Doomy up there in the tiers. He has too many great tools to ignore him because of some crap combos and bad strings. So have faith when you get your ass kicked by Raven (still sort of figuring out how to win that one) that eventually you can win any matchup.