What's new

After going back to mkx for two days...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
...but added the scary oki setups/resets/pressure of mkx on top of it.... that would be a damn fun game imo.
Except that "scary oki set ups" like D'Vorah's puddle or Tremor's rock and crystallization, resets like Quan Chi's and Shinnok's, and pressure like Liu Kang's were aspects that players complained about the most, with the possible exception of 50/50 mix ups and armor, when everyone played the game.

If you need your dose of insanity for the day, you can always play Mortal Kombat 11 with custom variations.

ZBirdV8

Flocker
I like it except in zoning matches. I accept zoning as a completely valid style of play, and I also know how to play against it, but in this game if you lack a teleport, your game against a zoner will be a slow meticulous walking in, blocking, neutral crouching, and playing a strong footsie game. Meanwhile the zoner you are playing against gets to enjoy a lot of movement, and a lot of fun chucking out projectiles and so forth. Basically your game sucks, and their game is a lot of fun. This is because of the overall speed of the game. This is also why I am dropping Baraka. Once more, zoning is fine and I don't struggle against it, but the way it plays out in this game is extremely tedious. My suggested fix would be to slightly increase walk forward speed. I also don't really like KBs and FBs, because they feel gimmicky as hell, and some are very easy where others are extremely hard. There are some characters in this game that can choose to win a round more or less free because of how many KBs they can easily stack together, Geras and Liu come to mind. I'd like these turned off in tourney play because they are gimmicks.

MAN0

DevilApes
What I hate is that they keep revamping each game from scratch including all movelists, mechanics etc..

NRS needs to realize that it's not just the characters trademark special moves that need to return each time, but a solid base normal movelist as well.
Mkx was great in that department IMO so If something works, don't change it.. improve it!

DarkSado

Noob
To each their own, but MKX was IMO terrible because every single character was about set play, mix or get mixed, bullshit level strategies. You were outright punished for trying to play neutral and slowing the game down
Kitana was footsie sir

I think MKX did have footsies from watching pro's play in tournaments and Destroyer's tourny's, but personally when i played it sometimes I felt like every character's gameplan was to get you into the corner and mix you to death. And it was just that over and over and over again. Maybe it was the characters i played tho (cuttthroat and grapple kano, reptile). And sometimes the set ups could be hype too like with Cyrax and cyber sub, and the dirty Quan stuff.

I think the last balance patch MKX got put it in a really, really good place tho with tons of viable characters. But as cool as a game as it is, its dead on xbone. I don't wanna wait 5-10 mins between ranked games. MK11 with all its faults is the one to play. I guess i prefer MKX, but I'm not a fan of the variation system for either.

If i had to pick an NRS game to get a resurgence in popularity and new balance patches it'd be MK9 or either of the Injustices.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think MKX did have footsies from watching pro's play in tournaments and Destroyer's tourny's, but personally when i played it sometimes I felt like every character's gameplan was to get you into the corner and mix you to death. And it was just that over and over and over again. Maybe it was the characters i played tho (cuttthroat and grapple kano, reptile). And sometimes the set ups could be hype too like with Cyrax and cyber sub, and the dirty Quan stuff.
And the corner carry was so insane that often it only took one combo for you to end up there.. Haha.

DeftMonk

Noob
Except that "scary oki set ups" like D'Vorah's puddle or Tremor's rock and crystallization, resets like Quan Chi's and Shinnok's, and pressure like Liu Kang's were aspects that players complained about the most, with the possible exception of 50/50 mix ups and armor, when everyone played the game.

If you need your dose of insanity for the day, you can always play Mortal Kombat 11 with custom variations.
There should be a middle ground imo. Liu Kang basically had a block infinite with a 2-3 frame gap to poke out of (I am sure you remember). This was mainly due to how much chip it did which gave a bar everytime you did it almost. That wouldnt happen in mk11. When you have delayed wake up... how scary can oki be really? So why not make some of these set up moves in mk11 not hot trash.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
To each their own, but MKX was IMO terrible because every single character was about set play, mix or get mixed, bullshit level strategies. You were outright punished for trying to play neutral and slowing the game down
There were characters that flat out played neutral, don't kid yourself. Machine gun jacqui, Kitana in any variation, pyro tanya, Grandmaster subzero, predator and a few others forced you to play neutral.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I actually think mk11 has made me a better mkx player , ive neutral ducked throws and started whiff punishing too rather than trying to judt blow through everything with armour lol

I honestly am starting to rethink my stance on mk11 being superior. Well to be more clear, I am not sure the direction they went with mk11 is superior when compared to what mkx could have been with the better engine. Mk11 has more engaging footsies sure... but there are way too many fuck neutral tools in mk for it to ever have amazing true footsies based gameplay. Imagine if mk11 was a mix of a lot more mkx style stuff with mk11 updated graphics... setups galore, hard to blockables, run cancels (ok get rid of run button but cancels that led to dash normals for pressure)+ krushing blows and I think the game might have been better honestly. Don’t get me wrong I like mk11 but...if I want to sacrifice everything for footsies I’ll just go play tekken. I want some crazy shit from my mk. Tournament moments like “wow this pressure... he’s blocking all of it!”. If you took mk11 with flawless blocks/krushing blows/updated visuals and smoother animations but added the scary oki setups/resets/pressure of mkx on top of it.... that would be a damn fun game imo.
I really think that is one of the main reasons why the game is so fucked up competitively: the fan base.

They claim for a "fair" game, and when they show, they start complaining because there are no shit a crazy stuff like in other games....and then, they change the game for worse adding crazy inexcusable shit, and the fans still complain because mk11 is not mk: marvel vs capcom again.

I really prefer footsies and neutral and it is amazing how much shit and how much dependent of things that actually you cant control with footsies and spacing this game is. How many matches were decided because the d1 jail, or that crushing blow pulled out from our asses....that ramdom jump ins that the 14 year olds here insist that is fair flawless blocking that and no effective anti airs....

People want the show....they give you the show....and a unfair game.

DeftMonk

Noob
I really think that is one of the main reasons why the game is so fucked up competitively: the fan base.

They claim for a "fair" game, and when they show, they start complaining because there are no shit a crazy stuff like in other games....and then, they change the game for worse adding crazy inexcusable shit, and the fans still complain because mk11 is not mk: marvel vs capcom again.

I really prefer footsies and neutral and it is amazing how much shit and how much dependent of things that actually you cant control with footsies and spacing this game is. How many matches were decided because the d1 jail, or that crushing blow pulled out from our asses....that ramdom jump ins that the 14 year olds here insist that is fair flawless blocking that and no effective anti airs....

People want the show....they give you the show....and a unfair game.
I initially totally ignored complaints about mk11. I just thought to myself”wow these kids have 0 footsies and just care about combos combos combos like some bobos”. But, why can’t you lose the run button, advancing mid crap AND have pressure tools if you win neutral/oki setups for suitable characters?

To be honest combo route improvements would also be good and it would silence the bobos. Add routes for side switching,corner Carry/more + oki but sacrifice damage etc. But to be honest the combo thing is the least of what I care about... ya combos are fun, but if “oh no my comboz” is the complaint about why u don’t like mk11... probably missing a lot about the game’s fundamentals.

MK11 could’ve been great if they didn’t put every character in a straight jacket. It seems like every character in 11 has one favorable mixup/pressure tool and that’s it. For example liu kang f4. His f4 is literally just a Rock Paper Scissors with your opponent on block. Is he gonna fireball, parry, or do the full string. And this f4 scenario plays out over and over again because it’s literally one of the few options he has. Same goes for jacqui f3. And jade b3. And so on. MK11 is just guessing the same exact situation over and over again. They could’ve at least given a little more variety to the Pressure situations. And yea, the neutral is just meh. Sure they slowed the game down and got rid of run, but did they really make it about footsies when they put Geras sand trap in the game? To me they kept the bullshit neutral and just made it happen in slow motion. I’ve had a lot more rewarding/fun experiences with SFV at this point and I’ll be sticking to that for the near future ‍♂

trufenix

bye felicia
Yeah I mean if you just ignore all the defenseless characters, useless variations, lack of zoning and pretend the game only consists of the five at the top like the third strike community players do, yeah mkx had a great engine and a lot of good ideas.

Espio

Kokomo
This community is so weird. It's fine if you like MKX or MK11 or have a preference, but people try to make it into the worth of either game.

I get if you like MKX so if you like it: get games, make content for it and promote it. You don't have to involve other games in the discussion. In order to build one thing up you don't have to tear something else down.

I'd like to add a point into this discussion. In MKX there are so many ways that you can explore and develop your preferred character by yourself with so many options so it becomes truly your own way of playing it. In MK11 what makes me sad is that there's so little options to choose. So at the end there's like only 1 effective route with a chatacter/variation, that everybody uses to win, it becomes a must. No Freedom. And, animations. Why in MK 11 it doesn't (for me) make you "believe" and "feel" those normals, specials, etc? I really don't understand. I get that it's just a game, but MKX makes me believe.

Played mkx , played mk11 . Mkx was a lot more fun to watch but it was hell to play , kinda opposite of 11 ( its not that i dont like to watch mk 11 matches , i dont like to watch top tier, + on all strings,mix to death with excelent zoning bullshit like johny , joker ,cassie .... ALL THE TIME ). The most hype match i ever watched was furious pillow vs jackal at CEO 2019 ( at that time both KK and SK were among the worst characters in the game ). Its not about game itself, its about same shit , top tiers vs top tiers , over and over aggain.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
There were characters that flat out played neutral, don't kid yourself. Machine gun jacqui, Kitana in any variation, pyro tanya, Grandmaster subzero, predator and a few others forced you to play neutral.
Just imagine if they had kept kitanas F22 string from MKX. God like neutral move that got replaced with the half assed F234 we have now.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Just imagine if they had kept kitanas F22 string from MKX. God like neutral move that got replaced with the half assed F234 we have now.
I honestly don't wanna think about mkx kitana especially with how much of a shell the current kitana has been. Also because i know this comment is going to come up. Idgaf about highborne.

After watching MKX Resurrection Tournament on Destroyer's stream for two minutes... it became clear in an instant why I enjoy MK11 better and why I would never want to return to X. MKX was so oppressive and rushdown based that matches was over in an instant. If there was a significant skill gap, you were destroyed in MKX. If there's a significant skill gap in MK11, you still have a fighting chance and that's a good thing IMO. Forever King tweeted that in MKX and Injustice 2 he never lost to random people and he was confident going into Ranked. In MK11 he feels he can lose to anyone so it's harder to be consistent in this game. He never meant it this way but I think it's the biggest compliment MK11 could ever get.

I hate that pro players call out the game for being scrubby and let lesser players take games against them even if they outplay them. Say whaat? Everyone has one Fatal Blow and if it's a long match maybe you have two Breakaways. Your opponent can steal a round by Fatal Blow if we accept that he doesn't deserve it even though you know about the mechanic and you still do something that is countered/punished by it. But if you outplay them, you should still win in the end. Have I ever felt that I was cheated out of a win? Yes, of course. But rewatching those footages I noticed a plethora of bad choices I made where I should have done much better. But it's still better than pushed into a corner by running on me when I'm knocked down then being overhead/low mixed to death in the corner or lose to to X-Rays.

And to be honest, I love the new wake up mechanics and the fact that I have options and my superior opponent who outplaying me can't pressure me mindlessly because I can roll under his ass and Krushing Blow punish it into oblivion. And it can be done to me anytime so it's back and forth. And I actually think that I had a better record in MKX but even losing feels better in MK11 if it's a good match and you opponent is not a toxic troll t-bagger

But the best thing is that all of you have options. You can simply not play this game if you don't enjoy it. There are a ton of people who just play and enjoy this game, obviously they have their own issues because there's rarely a thing that's 100% prefect. I don't say MK11 is perfect but I like it as it is. And that's because it's not MKX and not Injustice 2. Maybe the next game will be something else that's more for your liking and I won't enjoy it that much but I won't call for changing it for my sake.

It's time to accept what MK11 is about and adapt or drop the game.

Plop

Noob
I'm still devastated we never got UMK9. I like X and 11, but 9 is still the one. The things everyone likes about X and 11 are mostly all there in 9