What's new

Advice on getting knocked down

As a beginner, I'm struggling a little with handling knock downs. I understand the 50/50 element, and I don't mind getting hit by a low when I block high because it simply means I was out played. What I have difficulty with is the reversal window. It's tight offline but not unfair, but online, getting armoured moves to come out feels random at best. Is this being caused by lag (the games I've played are pretty smooth mostly), or is the window large enough that I shouldn't be having these problems?

Also, rolls. I try to tech most landings, but only 1/3 come out. Do untechable knockdown exist in MKX, and are they just throws and sweeps, or other moves too?

some moves end in hard knockdown (cannot roll out on landing the ground) also i find reversals online is trashed. happens sometimes but even then i get interrupts from someone i just blocked. though they are usually using low frame spam with someone like liu kang

Is there anything in the move lists that indicate hard knock down, or do I have to figure it out for each character manually?

(D7)

I've studied all your moves
The timing on techs/wakeups is already pretty finicky but online lag and maybe even input delay will make that even more difficult. Practice is really going to be the only thing for it. As for hard knockdowns, yes they exist in MKX but they don't show up as often as you'd think. Knockdowns from throws are untechable, as are certain EX specials (like Quan Chi's meter burned ground blast). But any knockdowns from normal strings, uppercuts, and most non-EX specials are techable. The one place where I'm unsure is sweeps. I can never remember if sweeps are a hard knockdown or not...

hope that helps a bit m8

Is there anything in the move lists that indicate hard knock down, or do I have to figure it out for each character manually?
Go into practice and set AI to roll. If they don't roll it's a hard knockdown. Also I don't think D7 is right. I feel like there are plenty of normal strings that end in hard knockdown.

(D7)

I've studied all your moves
Go into practice and set AI to roll. If they don't roll it's a hard knockdown. Also I don't think D7 is right. I feel like there are plenty of normal strings that end in hard knockdown.
idk, I could be wrong. Personally I just found myself teching out of things I assumed would have been untechable. Testing is really going to be the only way to be sure of anything I suppose ;)

Ughhh... I just spent last night going through every combo to see who had the most mix up options (Cassie has 3 very nasty strings). Looks l'll be doing the same tonight.

I'm surprised that with all the information NRS chose to include, hard knock downs aren't mentioned.

delayed wakeup is your absolute friend.
I'm starting to see the benefit now. Buys you some thinking time so you plan whether to block high or low. I do have an issue with pressing down too soon on animations with a small bounce, ending up in a roll. The tutorial says rolls are caused by the 1234's, but I'm definitely getting them with directional inputs.

They also neglected to tell when moves have armor, that's been bothering me
Me too.

Who do we petition for info to be patched in?

Also, UltraChenTV confirmed the existence of hard knock downs existing, and if I remember rightly, they occur after some specials and combos. Finding out which is trial and error...