What's new

Advice on dealing with jumping Kung Jins?

Landonio

n00b
Particularly Bojutsu Kung Jins who who just spam NJP? This move (and this character in general) is just dumb. Safe, causes pushback, has a huge hitbox, and leads into a full combo. It's pretty absurd. My main is Sonya and it seems like she has nothing for it, but my other characters are Sub, Reptile, and Kenshi. If anyone could help me with this match-up or just dealing with this move in particular, I'd greatly appreciate it.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Hmm well kenshi I'm guessing could do the over head and flurry(I think that's what its called) in balanced. Sonya...arc kick? Idk, and reptile...mm slow acid ball? So it hits on his way down? Just some ideas. I don't play with any of em so I might be totally wrong.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
The start-up to that move is slow so an air normal of yours would beat it out every time. Spamming that move shouldn't get someone very far.

Death

Noob
Have good spacing and when he lands try and whiff punish or at the very least get him in a blockstring. Will cause the Kung Jin player to actually think...for once lol

Landonio

n00b
Hmm well kenshi I'm guessing could do the over head and flurry(I think that's what its called) in balanced. Sonya...arc kick? Idk, and reptile...mm slow acid ball? So it hits on his way down? Just some ideas. I don't play with any of em so I might be totally wrong.
Arc Kick actually gets beat out by a LOT of shit. Kinda annoying. If I time it just right, it'll usually work, but gets beat out more often than not. Slow Forceball is too slow. And I play Kenjutsu Kenshi btw. Should have specified. My bad.

Landonio

n00b
Have good spacing and when he lands try and whiff punish or at the very least get him in a blockstring. Will cause the Kung Jin player to actually think...for once lol
But it's hard to judge "good spacing" against KJ because that move has an absurd hitbox. Any further and I'm out of range for anything I can do with Sonya except projectile spam or something.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Arc kick has armor in EX yes? so that would answer. As well as what others have said on top of just blocking his incoming attack.

Just go into training and find something that will hit it consistently. Or back dash and wiff punish maybe?

Not sure, seems there are alot of moves intended to be anti airs that his jump punch just stuffs.

It even ignores armor as ive found.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yeah backdash or forward dash under his jump, especially if he's spamming it like you say, will probably mess up his inputs or at least keep you mobile. The people who just spam jump attacks online get CRUSHED if you just think for a second and punish them. Remember Backdash and Forward dash are invincible on startup

Death

Noob
But it's hard to judge "good spacing" against KJ because that move has an absurd hitbox. Any further and I'm out of range for anything I can do with Sonya except projectile spam or something.
Agreed on the hitbox but you can space it out well or time a ring toss to hit him on the ground. Theres ways for Sonya to deal with it.

E

Eldriken

Yeah backdash or forward dash under his jump, especially if he's spamming it like you say, will probably mess up his inputs or at least keep you mobile. The people who just spam jump attacks online get CRUSHED if you just think for a second and punish them. Remember Backdash and Forward dash are invincible on startup
Forward dashes aren't invincible at all. They use up no stamina whereas backdashes do and it's because they have invincibility on startup.

SZSR

Noob
You can usually run-cancel into f2 from that far of a range.

Death

Noob
Arc kick has armor in EX yes? so that would answer. As well as what others have said on top of just blocking his incoming attack.
I wouldnt recommend EX arc kick as a reversal only because it takes 1 bar and does crap damage. I mean it potentially could be good to push him to the corner but the 1 bar of meter is costly. especially in this game.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
listen if a kung jin does that spamer njp cheater tactics just quit. it's not fair that he can hit you into the air and keep juggling you while you have no chance to even block smh no honor

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Stand outside of Njp range. If they see you are out of range they may try to dive kick instead. If they do you can full combo punish on block. Go to the lab to see if any of your air normals beat out the Njp. (This is really important because I have seen some Jins just never learn and keep using the move anyways.) Remember that you can stand at a range where his f2 won't combo into 30%+ dmg. Don't hit buttons if they are already in the air. If you do then they will be able to react into divekick. Also don't throw out a projectile when the Jin is mid screen away. He will usually be able to read that and punish with dive kick. Learn Kung Jin's wake up spacing. If he has meter he will probably do ex bow swing and once you start punishing that they will add ex flip kick. (If you read EX bow swing just jump over him and it will wiff for you to punish). If you are full screen dont mindlessly throw out projectiles unless he has no meter or your projectile is multi hitting to beat out his armor flying grayson kick (cant remember the real name.) Do NOT jump in on a Kung Jin to start the match. You are generally better off blocking or walking backwards.

Hope this helps and happy gaming!

Tremor

Pet Rock
Well, you could always utilize the same solution everyone else seems to in these situations... play Kung Jin yourself.

When in doubt, Bojutsu Kung Jin is the answer. Learning match-ups takes time, but Bojutsu button mashing doesn't. ;)

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Particularly Bojutsu Kung Jins who who just spam NJP? This move (and this character in general) is just dumb. Safe, causes pushback, has a huge hitbox, and leads into a full combo. It's pretty absurd. My main is Sonya and it seems like she has nothing for it, but my other characters are Sub, Reptile, and Kenshi. If anyone could help me with this match-up or just dealing with this move in particular, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reptile's ex claw scratch move will absorb a jump hit and cause a ground bounce leading into a combo. It's an excellent anti-air if you have the meter.