What's new

Advice For Arcade Stick Beginners

playing fighting games with arcade stick is a cool thing!
here some advices (assuming that you have a standard mad catz TE or something similar):

- first of all, if you are a good player with pad, in the beginning you will lose a lot using a stick but you have to go through! don't make the nr.1 mistake and grab to your pad again just to win some (salty) matches!
- don't use an 8 button layout! for mk games 6 buttons are more then enough!
-try always to use the same fingers for every button and for EX moves!

- there are two panel layouts for the standard mad catz stick "Japanese (curved)" and "American (straight)".
setup recommendation for the Japanese panel layout:
RUN-1-2 pointer-pointer-ring finger
BLK-3-4 thumb-pointer-ring finger
EX moves: 1+blk (thumb+ring finger) 2+blk (thumb+little finger) 3+blk (thumb+ring finger) 4+blk (thumb+little finger)

setup recommendation for the American panel layout (i use this one):
1-RUN-2 pointer-ring finger-little finger
3-BLK-4 thumb-thumb-little finger
EX moves: 1+blk (pointer+thumb) 2+blk (little finger+thumb) 3+blk (pointer+ring finger) 4+blk (pointer+little finger)

of course you can try a lot of other setups and use other fingers lol, but the most important thing is that you feel comfortable while playing!
here is everything you need to know about arcade sticks:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/introduction.html

as always, sorry for my bad English :/

Arkane Slim

I did a lot but I never hated...
The statement in bold is the biggest takeaway. I learned how to play on my fightstick while playing USF4 and now that's going to carry over on MKX. You have to condition yourself that you are playing to learn and not necessarily to win or else you will resort back to pad. My friends were whipping my ass but I still felt it was necessary to go through the growing pains. I went through many modifications from Pad to Stick (Square, Octagon, & Circle gates) and I even bought and sold a hitbox arcade stick. However, you can get use to any one of these options, you just have to commit yourself use to it.

FYI, my execution isn't even 85% on in USF4, but I feel more comfortable with it then I did 7 months ago. Go through the the trials and tribulations.