What's new

Breakthrough Advantageous downward Sword standing reset

I found a legit use for the downward Sword. The trick is to link 3~u4 after successfully landing 3d2~mbGS.

From testing I've gathered this much:
  • Ares is at least +12 frames when executed optimally.
  • More importantly, the opponent is reset on the ground within range of Ares' throw, i.e. within range of his fastest normal attacks.
  • It is a true frame trap--Ares' opponent is unable to move before a well-timed follow-up attack, i.e. opponent cannot jump or armor out.
  • Opponent must block all of the following potential follow-up attacks:
    • Throw
    • Standing 1... (will whiff if opponent crouches)
    • Standing 2... (will not whiff)
    • Forward+1... (will not whiff)
    • Down+1 (not worth it w/o sword)
  • It should be especially useful for unclashable shenanigans.
First and foremost, this tech is useful as an "am-i-gonna-throw-or-punch-yo-ass" 50/50 mixup. Secondarily, if you go the "punch-yo-ass" route, Ares can follow up with strings that build meter on block and allow for high/low mixups.

As it stands now, my follow-up of choice is the throw or 112 22~(d)d4 (upward axe hits low) or 112 22~mb df1 (which ends with an overhead), depending on the scenario.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Thanks for posting this. I've been messing around with a lot of different u4 set ups and this may be the one I was looking for.

Unfortunately there's still the fact that the very act of using this standing reset takes away his mix up, but I guess there's always dd4...
I will hit the lab and the battlefield with this and report back with my results

4x4lo8o

Noob
Can't test right now, but can you combo d1 into dd4 at least?
If the d1 hits the dd4 will combo. Your options after that are pretty limited, but I know you can at least follow up with b13 for 16%. I guess it's something to throw out there if you know they're going to block high

Awesome, I was looking for a set up like this but with a particular purpose.+12 you say?? Man, I suppose it isn't enough time to lay the MB GodSmack, if it was - that would be a guaranteed reset:)

ryublaze

Noob
WaywardStranger this is really good I can't think of any other setup besides this. You can also end combos with d2 trait but it leaves you too far away for a throw. Oh yeah and after this setup if your opponent crouch blocks then Ares' standing 1 whiffs so I think it's better to use standing 2 and going into 22 pressure or mix-up with 22 MB df1 or 22 axe trait.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Are you guys successfully landing throws after this? I know some MK guys (me included :() just don't tech throws ever, but some of the guys I play with tech throws like crazy and once they've seen the set up once or twice they never get hit by the throw.

I wish we had a set up that sacrificed less damage. I really like the idea and want to use it, but I just can't find any scenarios where it seems like a good idea to use. Too often it ends in me only getting a block string, and when I do get damage it's usually from low axe and at that point I just feel like I had to use my axe and my sword for damage that wasn't guaranteed and I still didn't get much more than I would have if I'd just finished the combo.

Are you guys successfully landing throws after this? I know some MK guys (me included :() just don't tech throws ever, but some of the guys I play with tech throws like crazy and once they've seen the set up once or twice they never get hit by the throw.

I wish we had a set up that sacrificed less damage. I really like the idea and want to use it, but I just can't find any scenarios where it seems like a good idea to use. Too often it ends in me only getting a block string, and when I do get damage it's usually from low axe and at that point I just feel like I had to use my axe and my sword for damage that wasn't guaranteed and I still didn't get much more than I would have if I'd just finished the combo.
I suck at teching throws too lol. For whatever reason the Capcom guys are dope at it.

Tbh, I've landed this setup against a skilled opponent maybe twice since discovering it. What it comes down to is that knockdowns grant you better options than standing resets in IGAU. The only reason to go for this setup would be to gain meter back after accidentally burning it on the GS.

If I'm not trying for a full combo punish after 3d2~mbGS, more often I've followed up with d2~dd4, which in turn links really well with a far-GS. As far as I can tell it'll hit whether they roll or not; they also cannot jump out without being hit. Roll, backdash is the only safe option out for characters without wake-up attacks that change their screen position. 'Tis a good setup if your opponent is a late clasher (by no means have I tested it fully).

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Can you use b1 after the standing reset? If so then this could give you more options. For example if they expect a throw or block low you can end b1 with close gs or mbgs