What's new

Video/Tutorial Advanced Raiden Tips and Strategies Video

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Fuck yeah, Claude.

One day, I'll put some serious time into Raiden.
I wish he didn't feel so damn slow, but I'm sure there's ways to make him faster.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Fuck yeah, Claude.

One day, I'll put some serious time into Raiden.
I wish he didn't feel so damn slow, but I'm sure there's ways to make him faster.
His normals are pretty slow, that's one of the things that keeps him from being godlike imo lol. Imagine if he had a low hit box and fast normals....

zaf

professor
Claudr it asks you when you are uploading. There should be a box to check off somewhere

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
121-tele leaves you at -13 whilst 1212-tele leaves you at -6 and safe. Gives you and extra hit of chip and meter build. On hit 1212-tele gives you a grab mix-up, as f2 can't be jumped.

Also, for a neutral option after jump-in against characters that can blow up 334 or b312, try 22vb on block. It jails on a jip and leaves at neutral, instead of doing 1212-tele that leaves you at disadvantage or any variant of 1212vb which doesn't jail at any point of the string. The 22 can be hit confirmed into electrocute for about 35%.

LaR

Noob
121-tele leaves you at -13 whilst 1212-tele leaves you at -6 and safe. Gives you and extra hit of chip and meter build. On hit 1212-tele gives you a grab mix-up, as f2 can't be jumped.

Also, for a neutral option after jump-in against characters that can blow up 334 or b312, try 22vb on block. It jails on a jip and leaves at neutral, instead of doing 1212-tele that leaves you at disadvantage or any variant of 1212vb which doesn't jail at any point of the string. The 22 can be hit confirmed into electrocute for about 35%.
Yea 22 is a way better string to use from a jump in punch you have so many options on block, its a pitty 22 vb doesn't jail on everyone . There is no need to ever use b2f1 unless you want to build meter from the free block string. You cant even do vb after it because it will always wiff but it does it looks cool though :).

B W1zZ

Noob
The problem with B2 F1 vicinity blast is against low hitbox characters like kitana and reptile, the vicinity blast will whiff on block. However using F23 vicinity blast is a good fix for this problem, but against reptile it's generally risky to use any vicinity blast setups.

I like the fact you talked about F3 in this video, I actually use this myself, it's a good advancing normal, safer than a superman and can be good for catching someone off guard or trying to jump in a wakeup situation, plus it's safe on block...the only downside is it can be ducked and the startup is slow, so you kind of have to use it in clutch situations where it's not expected. You can also combo off of it in the corner, but it's not likely to happen in an actual match.

Another thing with the B2,F1 is that you could opt to end it with 1+2 (although that is unsafe), same thing with the F23 string. Also on both strings you can choose to just do no ender, and wait for the recovery/then follow up with a mixup of your choice, whether its say a D3,F24 or tele if you predict your opponent will try to punish etc.

The following strings can be linked into En Vicinity Blast, followed by a full combo if they are cornered, or superman if done midscreen:

F23
B2F1 (someone mentioned earlier in this thread that this can be interrupted between the JIP and B2, this is true)

Don't remember if you can do it with 22 but i know for a fact it works with these strings. Example in the corner: F23 en VB, 4, 334, 33 shocker, F23 superman. It can be useful to use regular VB off of 33 as well since your opponent will want to stand block the 4 (if they aren't trying to interrupt of course), and any blocked vicinity blast is free meter, and any landed vicinity blast is a free mixup or pressure.

Off of the vicinity blast free jump it can be effective to go into a D3 throw, or a D4. If D4 hits go into more pressure, if it's blocked then you're back at a neutral mindgame situation, or you could cancel it into a teleport etc. You could also do say D3 into a stand 1 vb, and if they try jumping out they will get trapped in an anti air combo.

1212 tele is a good setup for a throw, however it's still escapeable. This can turn into a sort of 3/3/3 situation.

As far as 22 after a jump in punch, fairly good string but the B4 ender is punishable, however both 2 and 22 leave you at 0 on block. 2 by itself is safer than stand 1 by itself and you could do say jip stand 2, D3, F24 etc as a sort of mixup, tends to throw people off, or also a 2 into a throw. I occasionally like to use 22F1 as a combo ender in the corner to confuse the opponent, and 22F1 on block is decent meter building/spacing, the F1 is i believe -7 on block but your so far away that you can tele before your opponent can blow you up.

Theres all of this stuff and much more i've been wanting to cover in a sort of video guide, unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment ;(

Anyways shoutouts to claude for making this video. This is definitely more useful and productive then talking about how bad the character is.

4x4lo8o

Noob
The following strings can be linked into En Vicinity Blast, followed by a full combo if they are cornered, or superman if done midscreen:

F23
B2F1 (someone mentioned earlier in this thread that this can be interrupted between the JIP and B2, this is true)

Don't remember if you can do it with 22 but i know for a fact it works with these strings. Example in the corner: F23 en VB, 4, 334, 33 shocker, F23 superman. It can be useful to use regular VB off of 33 as well since your opponent will want to stand block the 4 (if they aren't trying to interrupt of course), and any blocked vicinity blast is free meter, and any landed vicinity blast is a free mixup or pressure.
I just tested all these. 22 can be linked to enVB and works midscreen or in the corner, as do all the others you listed except for 33. After 33 the EnVB will hit in the corner, or if they block the 33 then let go for some reason, but if 33 connects midscreen then EnVB will whiff.

B W1zZ

Noob
I just tested all these. 22 can be linked to enVB and works midscreen or in the corner, as do all the others you listed except for 33. After 33 the EnVB will hit in the corner, or if they block the 33 then let go for some reason, but if 33 connects midscreen then EnVB will whiff.
Yeah I forgot to mention that, 33 en vb only works in the corner.

LaR

Noob
The problem with B2 F1 vicinity blast is against low hitbox characters like kitana and reptile, the vicinity blast will whiff on block. However using F23 vicinity blast is a good fix for this problem, but against reptile it's generally risky to use any vicinity blast setups.

I like the fact you talked about F3 in this video, I actually use this myself, it's a good advancing normal, safer than a superman and can be good for catching someone off guard or trying to jump in a wakeup situation, plus it's safe on block...the only downside is it can be ducked and the startup is slow, so you kind of have to use it in clutch situations where it's not expected. You can also combo off of it in the corner, but it's not likely to happen in an actual match.

Another thing with the B2,F1 is that you could opt to end it with 1+2 (although that is unsafe), same thing with the F23 string. Also on both strings you can choose to just do no ender, and wait for the recovery/then follow up with a mixup of your choice, whether its say a D3,F24 or tele if you predict your opponent will try to punish etc.

F23

Off of the vicinity blast free jump it can be effective to go into a D3 throw, or a D4. If D4 hits go into more pressure, if it's blocked then you're back at a neutral mindgame situation, or you could cancel it into a teleport etc. You could also do say D3 into a stand 1 vb, and if they try jumping out they will get trapped in an anti air combo.

1212 tele is a good setup for a throw, however it's still escapeable. This can turn into a sort of 3/3/3 situation.

As far as 22 after a jump in punch, fairly good string but the B4 ender is punishable, however both 2 and 22 leave you at 0 on block. 2 by itself is safer than stand 1 by itself and you could do say jip stand 2, D3, F24 etc as a sort of mixup, tends to throw people off, or also a 2 into a throw. I occasionally like to use 22F1 as a combo ender in the corner to confuse the opponent, and 22F1 on block is decent meter building/spacing, the F1 is i believe -7 on block but your so far away that you can tele before your opponent can blow you up.

Theres all of this stuff and much more i've been wanting to cover in a sort of video guide, unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment ;(

Anyways shoutouts to claude for making this video. This is definitely more useful and productive then talking about how bad the character is.
unfortunately b2 f2 vb will wiff on everyone from a jip as they can go into crouch after the jip. The only strings that jail vb is jip 22 vb or jip f23vb ( some characters it wont jail on though ).

22b4 cant be punished its - 1 so you can safely hit confirm into 22b4 22f1 or 22vb then you could do a throw mix up after 22 thats why i think its his best jip string next to 334. the 1212 tele string is a good x-ray set up i like to use after the 1212 tele your -6 and x-ray through there d1. If they block the x-ray get your 2% chip and are completly safe ( only reptile can punish i believe) also creats another set up where you tele or backdash any punish attempt.

4x4lo8o

Noob
How do you combo off of F3?

You can't cancel into anything and I can't get D1, or even D3, to land before they hit the ground