What's new

advanced kano advice?

wolfe

Noob
hi, first time posting, been using this site a lot for my personal game tho (sept now none of my rl friends are willing to play). I cant find anything (anywhere) on kano advanced tactics.

things like frame traps, wakeup game explanations, pressure strategies.

im naturally decent at zoning (i play noob) and ive learned some frame traps with reptile, but i cant find any for kano! and i love kano, tho i must play him wrong online, everyone spams upball whiel i try my combos lol (yes i know, a joke about online scrubs)

any information you can provide would help me greatly.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
hi, first time posting, been using this site a lot for my personal game tho (sept now none of my rl friends are willing to play). I cant find anything (anywhere) on kano advanced tactics.

things like frame traps, wakeup game explanations, pressure strategies.

im naturally decent at zoning (i play noob) and ive learned some frame traps with reptile, but i cant find any for kano! and i love kano, tho i must play him wrong online, everyone spams upball whiel i try my combos lol (yes i know, a joke about online scrubs)

any information you can provide would help me greatly.
Kano really doesn't have frame traps that much his B.112 is safe and his Upball and Ex Choke are 2 good wakeups I find his dash then low hitting f.3 good pressure

i have some advanced kano advice..

use upball whenever your opponent is jumping in or trying to advance forcing them to block in fear of the upball then dash up and grab them. When they try to zone just create space and spam knives. rinse and repeat

-__-

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
i have some advanced kano advice..

use upball whenever your opponent is jumping in or trying to advance forcing them to block in fear of the upball then dash up and grab them. When they try to zone just create space and spam knives. rinse and repeat

-__-

Yup.... it works >.>

The previous posters make a good point: use your knives wisely, space yourself, and plan to catch your opponent offguard with Up Balls when they jump and grabs/combos/more knives when they don't. I don't believe Kano has any frame traps that I am aware of, and in terms of pressure, well I'm still working on that.

However, Kano has some useful wakeups: 1) Up Ball/Ex Up Ball (great to get out of a corner or quickly close in on an ill-timed projectile) 2) Choke/Ex Choke (can push an opponent away if they are blocking, waiting for the Up Ball wake-up).

wolfe

Noob
damn he really doesnt have any advanced frame traps? thought for sure he did and people were just being tight lipped :p. hes a great char its just im feeling like im missing something when playing him. when i play reptile for example there are some fairly (i feel at least) advanced techniques (like his frame traps obviously) that are quite good, but i havent figured anythign good with kano yet.

is kano really meant to just throw knives and use upball to punish jumpins? i thought his knives were made worse to promote his close game (assuming i know) and that he has some decently safe combo strings. the only thing he could be considered lacking on close game i thought was a faster overhead, but hey, characters have weaknesses for a reason heh

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Up ball, if they try to jump in, make them respect that.

JIK + throw, this does like 21% damage or something ridiculous like that, I haven't played Kano in a while but it's good. Once they're in fear of your JIK they'll always block it, which basically gives you a free throw, because the throw teching is such piss in this game. Almost guaranteed damage if they block this.

B, 112 for is safe. So use that for pressure.

F3, B2 is a good low, make them respect that as well.

Knife is still good, though it's slowed down, so use it a bit more sparingly.

Air ball punishes a lot of wake up moves. Sub Zero's slide, for example, use the move; it's good.

X-ray - use it, it's stupid good. The JIK blocked setup works well for it.

Wake up options: Up ball, EX choke

cyke_out

Noob
The Kano guide from tom brady list several options Kano has after blocked strings and low pokes and choke. Kano can basically make the opponent afraid to push buttons.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Does anybody have a practical use for his double dragon chain? (3,3)

Also can anybody pull off a b2,1 or b2,f1 + knife to kano ball combo? Tried it many times and it just fails

I main him but now it seems he doesnt have much life into him anymore :/
I just want to squeeze whats left of him out

I use (3,3) in a corner combo, f3,b2,3,3,df1 (26%). The best I can get out of his overhead is b2,f1,df2(21%) or b2,f1,df1(19%) depeding on whether you want to extra power or an untechnable knockdown.

Xstatic

Noob
Kano's b112 is a great poke string. B1 into throw is also amazing! Even if they get hit with the b1, the hit stun isn't long enough for a grab to whiff after it. I've been using this a lot. After a b112, I like to check my opponents with a d1. This is sorta a frame trap. Since b112 is +1, nothing will beat the d1, and it hits them if they try to jump over you.

Don't undervalue jump kick into air throw. This makes Kano's cross-up game pretty damn good. Lots of people try to anti-air a cross-up with crouching attacks, which this will hit.

At first, I felt Kano's mix-up game was pretty meh because overhead is very slow, but now I've been using b112 as a poke or after a cross-up followed by d1, b1 into throw and cross-up jump kick into air-throw. The occasional f3b2 also still has a place. It's working out pretty well for me!

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
You should check out the Kano Choke thread. Apparently Choke can be used in a way as to lock down your opponent after b1-1-2 and after b1-1-2, d1.

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
The B+1,1,2...D+1xxChoke combination is a good set up, but i find certain characters can counter poke you back before you get out your choke out, or just block it all then duck under choke and punish afterwards. I would not spam this "Lockdown" if the person is well aware of how to answer it. But keep this tool in your arsenal for up close combat. You need to be really tricky while up close.