What's new

Question About matchup numbers

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I have a question about matchups, i know i personally will be quick to say something is a 7-3 or 6-4 but what does those numbers even mean? id like to see what everyone else's opinions are about this. IMO 6-4 is a slight advantage as in the character with the disadvantage doesnt have all the tools to make it een but can still do well in the matchup the character with the advantage can win without working as hard as the other character and may but in a 6-4 if the adv player doesnt know the matchup as well as the disadv player its basically even, a 7-3 (again in my opinion) would be a character just has the tools to stop the other or wont let them use their best tools or forces them in a situation that hinders them, in a 7-3 youd have t do pretty much everything right to win and might still need a few mistakes from the other player. 8-2 or worse is pretty much unwinnable imo unless you just blow them up and dont give them a cchance to play, get a large lifelead and susain long enough to win.....so now that you see what i think, What do you all see those numbers as? do you agree/disagree or just have your own explanations? this thread is not to argue any matchups or talk about who beats who just about what you think the numbers represent.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Hmm I don't know, I mean the numbers represent a set of 10 games between players of equal skill and matchup knowledge I believe. I don't, however, know how difficulty plays into it. Like is it purely based off of tools or does difficulty of using those tools play into the matchup number?

Fred Marvel

Hmm I don't know, I mean the numbers represent a set of 10 games between players of equal skill and matchup knowledge I believe. I don't, however, know how difficulty plays into it. Like is it purely based off of tools or does difficulty of using those tools play into the matchup number?
oh that makes sense and yes id say difficulty of tools would play into it but what would be an example of that?

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
10-0 Drop your controller
1-9 Jade vs Kenshi
2-8 Exchange your soul or drop your controller
3-7 Will probably end on rage quit
4-6 You can do it
5-5 Even
6-4 Slight Advantage
7-3 Laugh at your oponent
8-2 Free (Me vs. @RM Chongo )
9-1 Kenshi vs Jade
10-0 Choose your character, prepare a sandwich, take a shower, get back and you will win.
I love a good chongo on blast as much s the next guy I must say

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
The number is supposed to be a literal representation of how many games on person would get vs the other out of ten.

The worse the disparity between the numbers the worse the MU is conceived to be.

Generally the difficulty of using the tools isn't a factor or at least it shouldn't be, because matchup numbers don't just assume players of equal skill and matchup knowledge. They assume that both players are playing their character and the matchup at the highest level that is possible. We all are human and make mistakes, but that's ultimately the players fault, not the character or the matchups.

Fred Marvel

Generally the difficulty of using the tools isn't a factor or at least it shouldn't be, because matchup numbers don't just assume players of equal skill and matchup knowledge. They assume that both players are playing their character and the matchup at the highest level that is possible. We all are human and make mistakes, but that's ultimately the players fault, not the character or the matchups.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Yea that's what I was thinking. So assuming that a robot plays both sides it'll be 5-5 but that's not really how it'll go down as the person playing the more difficult character is more likely to make mistakes.
oh that makes sense and yes id say difficulty of tools would play into it but what would be an example of that?
I would think that martian or aquaman would be a good example, they have to worry less about spacing because of the dominant range those characters have, and in some of their 5-5's their going to have an easier time because of that fact. That is not to say that everything they do is easier but they certainly control more space with less difficulty than most other characters.