What's new

A question for Sektor players.

Kombo

Noob
Since I main Sektor I was wondering how other player use him. Now what I like to do with him is keep away from my opponents and bombard them with straight missles and up missles to build meter, and use his meter strictly for enhanced moves. I never teleport uppercut from more than half a screen away(unless its the enhanced version which I think is safe I'm not sure). If they jump in I'll hit them with Sektor's flamethrower. Also depending on the matchup I'll jump in use one of Sektors various 30% combos. Are theses good strategies to use? I would like to know what other fellow Sektor players do to help my game and see if I can incorporate other strategies in with my own.

I also would like to know if you consider Sektor to be more of a rushdown or Zoning character?

Malitor

Noob
Well, he's definitely a zoning character as his regular moves are really slow.. however when I get a knockdown on someone I usually rush in and mixup between his low and mids. My sektor is a work in progress still but I've received a LOT of positive feedback with the way I play him. I'm generally the type of person who doesn't use the same move twice in row, so I probably don't zone as well as I should.

Kombo

Noob
I've mained Sektor since day one then I stopped to mess around with some other characters but my Sektor was fairly decent. Then I started back using him again and its almost like learning the charecter all over again. I'm definitely better with him now then I was before but its that saying much since my gameplay is still lacking.

Kombo

Noob
Well, he's definitely a zoning character as his regular moves are really slow.. however when I get a knockdown on someone I usually rush in and mixup between his low and mids. My sektor is a work in progress still but I've received a LOT of positive feedback with the way I play him. I'm generally the type of person who doesn't use the same move twice in row, so I probably don't zone as well as I should.
What are some low mid mixups you use with Sektor?

You zone with sektor to build meter then you jump in with 12b1 for his easy 36% combo (12b1 f44 tu b21) and you also have to play defensively (punish with your 12b1 BnB as it is very quick and can punish most moves) use homing missle to apply pressure as it will cause you opponent to turtle. When they are turtle when a homing missle is fired you can jump in there and do your u3 (leg lift stance) into u3 4 (overhead) or b34(same as u3 3 4 just comes out faster) as a low. You can also dash in after homing missle and do u3 and make them guess whether your gonna hit with u3 3 4(low) or u3 4(overhead) then if the u3 3 4 or the u 3 4 hits you can combo it into a TU for a 30%+ combo. Hope this made sense. His leg lift can be tricky and i only use it after homing missle pressure. Sektor is not slow prior to contrary belief either. His 12 has frame advantage. Use his flamethrower liberally for jump ins/slides. A second flamethrower can be used after the initial flamethrower. If your opponent has a teleport you can use the flame to bait the teleport and block the teleport and hit the 12b1 combo just as they land to punish it. His Extu can be used to bait a punish also as it is safe on block, example against ermac (EXTU blocked ermac uses telelift sektor blocks and goes in for the 12b1 combo) you can also end combos with 11b1 or b1 to push your opponent across the screen to set up your zoning. Hopes this helps.

Kombo

Noob
Is Sektors Xray good for anything? I dont' normally use it unless its down to the wire and then I only use it in a combo like 12b1 f4 Xray. Its does 42% damage(45% with jip) but Sektor can do 30%+ combos like nothing so I don't see a need to use it unless out of desperation.

Robotic

Gentleman.
In my view, Sektor is all-purpose. He has the tools to zone you out and the in-your-face high-low game to mix you up. If your opponent fears your zoning and wants to close the distance by jumping in, robo-torch him outta the sky. If it's a teleporter, be aware of your recovery times with both straight an upmissile; it is easy to punish a sektor missile spammer - especially the up missile as it has a slow start-up.

Also, try to avoid using tele-uppercut as a stand-alone move. That's a real fast way to get blown up and the most common mistake I see from new Sektor players. Try to reserve it for combos.

There are exceptions to everything stated above, but I think it's a good blanket statement if you are getting your feet wet with Sektor. After taking in the general info here and getting experience with individual matchups, you will develop your own strategies.

All in all, Sektor has the chops to hang with any character in the game. Hope this helps.

In my view, Sektor is all-purpose. He has the tools to zone you out and the in-your-face high-low game to mix you up. If your opponent fears your zoning and wants to close the distance by jumping in, robo-torch him outta the sky. If it's a teleporter, be aware of your recovery times with both straight an upmissile; it is easy to punish a sektor missile spammer - especially the up missile as it has a slow start-up.

Also, try to avoid using tele-uppercut as a stand-alone move. That's a real fast way to get blown up and the most common mistake I see from new Sektor players. Try to reserve it for combos.

There are exceptions to everything stated above, but I think it's a good blanket statement if you are getting your feet wet with Sektor. After taking in the general info here and getting experience with individual matchups, you will develop your own strategies.

All in all, Sektor has the chops to hang with any character in the game. Hope this helps.

^ great information for new sektor players about overusing the TU..i find myself in koth matches getting like 7 wins in a row etc. and im usually always Sektor and someone thinks they can just be sektor and spam TU and missles becuase they see me do it. I only tu in combos and zone accordingly to who im facing. So they see all the TU's im doing in the combos and they think 'oh hes just spamming tu, ill beat him with sektor' fact is, you cant just pick up sektor and expect an easy win like you can noob. You really have to know his mix-up game and how to effectively use his meter (no xrays! only if you absolutely have to) and his homing missles. With meter Sektor is S-tier. Yeah i said it.

Comparing to KL or Liu Kang mashing their buttons on my ass, I must say that Sektor IS slowpoke. TBH not only them, even goddamn Ermac is faster at linking his strings in direct encounter than Sektor.

All juggle starters are slow (except 12b1, but it hit high so ya... + can't be easier to read after the last hit + can't be linked into other juggle starter without interruption from enemy. B34 might be usable against some characters). Getting into face of enemy is rather hard if he doesn't wish to, since Sektor has no decent distance-shortening move except TU which is easy to read like..... not gonna swear :p.

I'd conclude that Sektor is a more zoner than rushdown character based on that. The thing is, that he isn't the best zoner either (Kabal prevails), considering the slow startup of missiles. Of course, up missiles mixed with straight missiles are great tool, but are not so great against fighters with teleport moves (many many :(), and people who faced Sektor before.

The strong part is the low-high-stance mixup. And it works splendid if enemy is reactive player rather than aggressive caveman.

All heavy rushdown characters just make me cry like a baby and rage hard, since Sektor's only viable wake ups (as I stated be4) are EX TU (sometimes safe, sometimes not on whiff) and flamethrower (good if you anticipate enemy to be aggressive right away, mind that many moves can interrupt this wake up easily) vulnerable to teleport counters. NO SAFE Get-The-Fuck-Off-Me move is really irritating.

If you get cornered with Sektor it's pretty much over, unless enemy has no experience whatsoever against Sektor, or is making some mistake.

Enough whining, a little bit of my gameplan's (which correspond to all Sektors I imagine)

Generally, I'd advise staying away from enemy all the time (unless you lost the zoning game) and try to capitalize on foe mistakes. Clever enemy will stay close all the time, mixing throws, strings, JP's/JK's and unique specials to rape the poor robot.

Homing missile is main tool making possible to combo as Sektor. Don't make the mistake of firing it from full-screen, hence enemy has enough time to react properly.
Up missiles immediately after enemy falling can be also considered as an opportunity for guessing game. JP might be usable when foe get overzealous badly, or is simply..... let's say not decent ^^. Try to shit opponent mind doing 12B1 or B34 or U3,4 (only if antagonist is on backfoot for 100%) to start juggle accordingly.

Do not forget about throws naturally, there is a certain feeling after playing against someone, when you are sure that enemy will block for a moment. Abuse it (like every character).

I also tend to play more safe in 1st round, whether the enemy is passive (hurray!) or aggresive (doh....) my main aim is to grasp foe trends of moves and find a way to abuse holes in his game. Mixing aggresive:)taz:) playstyle and passive:)china:) zoning is also essential as Sektor since it fools a bit enemy and might provoke mistakes. :evil:

If it isn't tournament mode, try to land 1st hit for the 1 bar bonus at all cost. Depending on foe, B+1 or B21 can be good starters. If u suspect enemy trying to JK or JP try flamethrower as an opening move. More or less, jumping back is safe in most cases and let you react to what the opponent is doing in order to score the opening hit.

Sometimes, it is possible to use B3,4 right after the flamethrower hit. You need to feel the distance, and of course the enemy must block stand.

Lastly, I'll post my Bnb. Not counting the missile dmg before each one, of course doable but very rare to land in real match against decent opponent.

Mid juggle starter:
JP - 12B1 - F4,4 - TU - B3,4 - EXTU - B2,F2 = 47% dmg out of one bar + no wake up attack from enemy.

Low juggle starter:
B3,4 - TU - F4,4 - EXTU - B2,F2 = 37% dmg out of one bar + no wake up attack from foe

"Stance" overhead juggle starter:
U3,4 - TU - F4,4 - EXTU - B2,F2 = 42% dmg out of one bar + no wake up attack from foe

No bar High juggle starter:
12B1 - F4,4 - TU - B2,F2 = 36% dmg, 40% dmg and mid trigger if started with JP.

IMHO X-ray is a total waste with Sektor, unless it's used to end match with it (and 100% hit sure scenario).

Damn, looks like I posted a little bit of text here, lmao. Hopefully some1 will find this usefull.

P.S
Mind this, I play only online, currently ~400/320 Sektor games all against players with comparable stats or with much better w/l ratio (like 1000/200). I'm not a pro by any means, casual player so take everything with a grain of salt :). I also tend to make stupid mistakes in my games. Since Sektor is not very forgivable character, sometimes I suffer from humiliating defeats.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sektor is definitely a zoning character, his missles have good/decent recovery, his teleport recovers faster then it did in UMK3(can still be punished but just faster and not as high uppercut)

I like using his jumps ins, you get that down you're talking nice, fun, pretty easy 30%-45% combos depending on your choices.

Robotic

Gentleman.
^ great information for new sektor players about overusing the TU..i find myself in koth matches getting like 7 wins in a row etc. and im usually always Sektor and someone thinks they can just be sektor and spam TU and missles becuase they see me do it. I only tu in combos and zone accordingly to who im facing. So they see all the TU's im doing in the combos and they think 'oh hes just spamming tu, ill beat him with sektor' fact is, you cant just pick up sektor and expect an easy win like you can noob. You really have to know his mix-up game and how to effectively use his meter (no xrays! only if you absolutely have to) and his homing missles. With meter Sektor is S-tier. Yeah i said it.
Begs the question...with one bar, two, or full meter? Another question (maybe better suited for it's own thread): With full bar, do the current tiers change and what would it look like?

I do agree, by the way. Sektor with meter = God Help You.

@up

Do you refer to usage of Homing missile? Unfortunately, majority of my opponents (rushing bulls mashing buttons for 100% time) don't care / don't mind being hit by the rocket, or earlier be4 they take hit, they do some special attacks (for ex. shadow kick from cage) in order to intercept me on my way to their ass :p. Rarely any1 turtle tbh + very often I must use 2 bars for breaker otherwise I'm screwed.

when i have meter with Sekt i try to stay away for the most part and go into defensive/baiting/punishing mode to hit those beautiful EXTU combos. And Robotic, that is an interesting thought that you have about the other characters and where they stand with/without meter. Another character that is ALOT better with meter is Quan-Chi. Characters that aren't that much better with meter is sub zero(unless your using his xray) johnny cage(correct me if im wrong, only meter options he really has is his exkick am i right?) and maybe Ermac (non of his moves really change, they just add a little more damage. Open a thread about it or i will and feel free to comment on it, should be an interesting read.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I'm back, what'd I miss? Oh, HAHAHA! sorry bout that Redneck!

As for your post, you posted a great deal of info and thank you for that. To your point about throws...I believe this to be the most overlooked aspect of, not only Sektor's game, but Mortal Kombat as a whole. I've said time and time again that there's nothing scarier to an opponent than just getting the hang of dealing with your mixups when..BAM! Stance>dash cancel>throw! Or just plain walk right up and throw when they're waking up (only do this if you know they won't wake up move your ass). It's so effective, I zone and turtle until you show me you have a throw game...if you don't, consider yourself screwed because you are not using the full capabilities of the game.

Robotic

Gentleman.
By the way Sektor Cyrax, "With meter tier list discussion" has been posted. I won't hijack anymore, so I won't mention it anymore here.

To Kombo, let us know if you need anything else :)

Kombo

Noob
After reading some of the replies on this page all I have to say is... WOW! I mean seriously, this is alot to take in. Changes everything I know about Sektor and thanks to you guys I'm making him my all time main:). He is just so fun to play with, I don't know why I stopped using him in the first place. Just one more thing is there a Sektor mentor thread? I would love to play against some of you guys and learn strategies but most of you play on psn which i don't have:(

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
This thread has really reinforced picking up Sektor to me, I needed a 2nd character to play. I've played around with him and he's a blast to play, plenty challenging enough to actually feel some reward for winning a match! You guys are on the ball with that massive combo thread too!

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
I tend to play my Sektor in a semi-rushdown manner. I stay within sweep range and abuse upmissile/flamethrower, then do some mixups ending with upmissile to provide even more pressure for a jump-in. I use B2+1, B2 and F2+B1 alot since they are real quick, do good damage and catch people off guard. I have a hard time getting the overhead off from the leg lift since it's range is very short and it's slow. So, I'm working on that. His uppercut is really fast and great at punishing mid combo.