What's new

Question - A-List A-List Cancel questions

I just started using Johnny Cage and trying to get the cancels down. My question is what are the advantages of doing a dash cancel and what are the advantages of doing the run cancel?

I ask only because the dash cancels are so much more easier for me. Are the combos all pretty much the same and I actually have a choice to do one or the other or are the run cancels the ones that are the definite must to get this character down? Can I get by with just dash cancels or am I going to have to get the run cancels down to be a decent player?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I just started using Johnny Cage and trying to get the cancels down. My question is what are the advantages of doing a dash cancel and what are the advantages of doing the run cancel?

I ask only because the dash cancels are so much more easier for me. Are the combos all pretty much the same and I actually have a choice to do one or the other or are the run cancels the ones that are the definite must to get this character down? Can I get by with just dash cancels or am I going to have to get the run cancels down to be a decent player?
Dash cancels to save stamina because its important in that variation

But run cancels to guarantee frame traps, so depends on the situation

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Dash cancels are a good start but run cancels are superior in just about every way, minus the stamina cost. I would perfect your dash cancels for now, but never stop pushing yourself. You'll get the run cancels in time if you put yourself to it.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Are his special run cancels useful like the ones other characters have or is it all about the normal cancels he has?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Are his special run cancels useful like the ones other characters have or is it all about the normal cancels he has?
It works with the combination of his walkspeed, A-list is much safer and you can hit confirm your punishes, its not a character that rushdown on the same way scorpion does, when he places a frame trap and forces a whiff the opponent regrets most of the time. He has really good footsies IMO.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I finally understand these run cancels. I'm no expert at them but I messed around with Scorpion's Hellfire a few weeks back and that actually helped me with Johnny Cage's A-List run cancels. It's all about muscle memory and putting in some time. I'm not very good with fighting games so it took me about 30 minutes to really get it down.

The way I learn these things is by chopping the combos up to small parts. Get the small parts down and then start linking them together. I'm sure there are gods on this board that can do this stuff in their sleep but for all the other mere mortals like me this is how I did it.

A real easy one is:

b34, bf hold 4 and run cancel, 21, bd3

From there you can meter burn the bd3 or I believe you can extend the combo when the opponent is stunned. I happen to use an arcade stick so I don't know how much that affects the learning curve for this stuff.

At the beginning I practiced b34 bf4 first to make sure that glow kick comes out. Then I practiced holding the 4 and then releasing it. The trick with the run cancel is holding the 4 and letting the joystick return to the neutral position and then tapping forward twice and hitting the block button to run. If you do it right you'll see Johnny Cage hold the glow kick for a fraction of a second and then run. You'll know you got it perfect when Cage doesn't even go into the hold animation and pretty much just runs forward.

After getting all that down then you can link whatever combo you want into the cancel. The thing is you gotta do it quick. I like 21 best only because the block button is right after my 1 and 2 buttons so I pretty much just hit block21 with my ring, middle, and fore fingers respectively in a quick piano like motion.

Like I said, this is just a start for me and this is how I learned it. Hopefully this can help someone here. This combo is just the start of a whole new world of combos I can start to learn.

Last edited:
You mean b34? JC dont have a string b23
You're right. My monkey ass made the correction in the post. Thanks.

If you don't want to learn run cancels play stunt double
I know this sounds silly but one of the reasons I wanted to learn this variation is because it forces me to learn a new technique. It would be easy for me to pick a character and variation that doesn't require the run cancels but I think eventually there will come a point where I can't get better at this game because I never bothered to learn this technique. I think this technique is one of many in this game and eventually I want to learn them all a much as my abilities will allow me to. If it's not fun, I won't do it but since it's fun and I do want to get better, hey, why not?

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
You will need Stunt Double for some MUs so I suggest you learn it as well. (If you are trying to be a dedicated Johnny main that is...)

Wigy

There it is...
You're right. My monkey ass made the correction in the post. Thanks.

I know this sounds silly but one of the reasons I wanted to learn this variation is because it forces me to learn a new technique. It would be easy for me to pick a character and variation that doesn't require the run cancels but I think eventually there will come a point where I can't get better at this game because I never bothered to learn this technique. I think this technique is one of many in this game and eventually I want to learn them all a much as my abilities will allow me to. If it's not fun, I won't do it but since it's fun and I do want to get better, hey, why not?
Yeah, fair enough. Was just saying A list is completely useless without run cancels.

Wigy

There it is...
You will need Stunt Double for some MUs so I suggest you learn it as well. (If you are trying to be a dedicated Johnny main that is...)
Which matchups.

I try use a list cause its more fun/skilful but stunt double seems better.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Playing a good Sub Zero with A List is a nightmare. I do better with Stunt Double and my Stunt Double Cage is super trash atm. Thats the only one I know of as im actually a Jason main and play Cage on the side to give my scene MU experience. Im sure there are more where Stunt Double is preferred.

Wigy

There it is...
Playing a good Sub Zero with A List is a nightmare. I do better with Stunt Double and my Stunt Double Cage is super trash atm. Thats the only one I know of as im actually a Jason main and play Cage on the side to give my scene MU experience. Im sure there are more where Stunt Double is preferred.
good subzero :DOGE

Captain flowchart. lol