What's new

Strategy A few block string ideas.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi Guys, I was trying to record these with the meter set to normal, but every time I done that, the play back never worked right.

Here is just two quick examples of where I am at with the skarlet thing.

The first string on a jailed standing block, will allow the :en dagger cancel with +22 frames, the :r:fk:fk is a -19 frame string, which cannot be interrupted as there is no space for opponent, after the :r:fk:fk, the opponent is left to block the second dagger, the :d:bk on hit grants +11, and her :fp:fp:bk is a -10 frame start up, again into the :en dagger cancel, will provide enough frame advantage for the throw, that is also -10.

This one, instead of going for a regular dagger cancel into :d:bk, I have cancelled into a jump. Same ideas apply this time.

I know this is all against a standing blocked opponent, but anytime an :en dagger connects, the string is inescapable, any time the regular dagger is cancelled, it is all down to reads, but the opponent should to be anticipating the second dagger. The reason I have done these particular strings is because a smart opponent should never really crouch block after any skarlet string as they could eat the over head combo launcher.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Still need to test some of this offline, and against good opponents.
It's a good start what you have posted here. I tested some of these block strings against my brother this past weekend briefly - I plan on getting some more time with him this upcoming weekend and I can test it some more.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
It's a good start what you have posted here. I tested some of these block strings against my brother this past weekend briefly - I plan on getting some more time with him this upcoming weekend and I can test it some more.
Me and [MENTION=3775]A F0xy Grampa[/MENTION] can get D1'd after the :en Dagger Cancel, after a regular block string if the opponent is already crouch blocking and we go for a :fp :fp String, but you cannot get hit out of :l:fp. But, if you finish your juggle combo with a :fp:fp:bp :en Dagger cancel, the opponent is at such a disadvantage that they absolutely have to block the next string.

Still more testing and time needed though. But this is were it is at for Skarlet.

Her zoning works the same way Kitana's does, you can throw ground fans until the opponent gets within the :l:bp string (with kitana), use the dagger cancels to create a jump in punch space for a block string, because using the daggers constantly as a way of getting damage and keeping the opponent away from you is pointless. So use the cancels to create slide in and JIP chances.

This is how it all appears to go down with Skarlet, and when you get it right, it's a complete nightmare for the opponent.

Ninj

Me and @AF0xyGrampa can get D1'd after the :en Dagger Cancel, after a regular block string if the opponent is already crouch blocking and we go for a :fp :fp String, but you cannot get hit out of :l:fp. But, if you finish your juggle combo with a :fp:fp:bp :en Dagger cancel, the opponent is at such a disadvantage that they absolutely have to block the next string.

Still more testing and time needed though. But this is were it is at for Skarlet.

Her zoning works the same way Kitana's does, you can throw ground fans until the opponent gets within the :l:bp string (with kitana), use the dagger cancels to create a jump in punch space for a block string, because using the daggers constantly as a way of getting damage and keeping the opponent away from you is pointless. So use the cancels to create slide in and JIP chances.

This is how it all appears to go down with Skarlet, and when you get it right, it's a complete nightmare for the opponent.
Heh...you're encroaching on what I've been writing in my Guide :) but good stuff, you're absolutely right.

Ninj

I'm bringing this thread back to the top. Unfortunately I haven't had my 360 for the past few days but I'll have it back in my recording studio soon. In the mean time, an important aspect of Skarlet strategy is her EX-Cancel strings.

The idea:
:en Blood Dagger cancel has a 0-frame cancel, meaning as soon as you do :en:d:r:bp you can dash (xx) out of it and into another string

Mechanics to understand:
In most scenario's (I believe all but I'm not certain) if you finish a string that ends with Skarlet on top of your opponent (F2,1,2,1+2 for example) and do an :enCancel, the :enDagger will miss your opponent if they are down blocking - goes right over them. This can be used as part of your mind game, but understand it first so that you do it on purpose.

Strings like 1,1,2 and I believe 1,1,4 & F3, 3(going off memory, will reinforce this post as soon as I can with facts) will push your opponent away on block, allowing your :enDagger to connect, giving you time to lead into another 1,1,2,:enCancel

Now mix it up:

1,1,2,:enCancel xx 1,1,2,:enCancel xx Throw

1,1,4,:enCancel xx F2,1,2,1+2,DF3,4 or :enDF3,DF2 or DB2 if you expect them to try and interrupt you. Use on someone expecting to block another string after the first 1,1,4 or 1,1,2 in order to maybe catch them on the Mid hit, and to build back meter)

:enCancel xx F2,1,2,1+2 :enCancel xx 1,1,2 :enCancel xx 1,1,2 :enCancel xx Throw or F4,DF3,(hit confirm into DB2/DF2, block-confirm into 4)

This is just the tip of the ice berg. Her dash covers a lot of ground and can be used in a variety of situations to lead into a block string. One might say "This is interesting, but requires you to burn meter". When I have my 360 back, I'll get exact measurements, but meter is built back very quickly on block strings. And if they don't block, even better - the :enCancel string can continue.

More to come when I can. :en:xperiment with this. Go!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Damn, nice job with this Skarlet analysis here, guys !! It's almost scientific all this stuff here, hehe :D :D

ryublaze

Noob
I'm bringing this thread back to the top. Unfortunately I haven't had my 360 for the past few days but I'll have it back in my recording studio soon. In the mean time, an important aspect of Skarlet strategy is her EX-Cancel strings.

The idea:
:en Blood Dagger cancel has a 0-frame cancel, meaning as soon as you do :en:d:r:bp you can dash (xx) out of it and into another string

Mechanics to understand:
In most scenario's (I believe all but I'm not certain) if you finish a string that ends with Skarlet on top of your opponent (F2,1,2,1+2 for example) and do an :enCancel, the :enDagger will miss your opponent if they are down blocking - goes right over them. This can be used as part of your mind game, but understand it first so that you do it on purpose.

Strings like 1,1,2 and I believe 1,1,4 & F3, 3(going off memory, will reinforce this post as soon as I can with facts) will push your opponent away on block, allowing your :enDagger to connect, giving you time to lead into another 1,1,2,:enCancel

Now mix it up:

1,1,2,:enCancel xx 1,1,2,:enCancel xx Throw

1,1,4,:enCancel xx F2,1,2,1+2,DF3,4 or :enDF3,DF2 or DB2 if you expect them to try and interrupt you. Use on someone expecting to block another string after the first 1,1,4 or 1,1,2 in order to maybe catch them on the Mid hit, and to build back meter)

:enCancel xx F2,1,2,1+2 :enCancel xx 1,1,2 :enCancel xx 1,1,2 :enCancel xx Throw or F4,DF3,(hit confirm into DB2/DF2, block-confirm into 4)

This is just the tip of the ice berg. Her dash covers a lot of ground and can be used in a variety of situations to lead into a block string. One might say "This is interesting, but requires you to burn meter". When I have my 360 back, I'll get exact measurements, but meter is built back very quickly on block strings. And if they don't block, even better - the :enCancel string can continue.

More to come when I can. :en:xperiment with this. Go!
IIRC, 1, 1, 4, Dagger Toss whiffs when crouch blocked. I think these are the only strings the dagger won't whiff when crouch blocked:

1, 1, 2
B1, 1, F4
D1
D3

I've been trying 1, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (non-enhanced version) but it can be poked out of during your dash. It works a few times when your opponent isn't expecting it. I like the idea of going into the F2, 1, 2, 1+2 block string after 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger Toss to build back meter. Have you tried jump cancelling instead of dash cancelling? I think Skarlet can get a free jump-in punch if she jump cancels out of EX Dagger Toss.

One time against a standing opponent I kept doing the F2, 1, 2, 1+2, EX Dagger Toss string and I believe I was able to do it 4 times in a row. It's very nice if your opponent is expecting a Down Slash after F2, 1, 2, 1+2.

EDIT: You can actually do the F2, 1, 2, 1+2 string 6 times in a row if the opponent stand blocks the entire time.

Ninj

I've been trying 1, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (non-enhanced version) but it can be poked out of during your dash. It works a few times when your opponent isn't expecting it.
If you're doing a non:en dagger cancel, I suggest backdashing instead of forward dash into a DF3 or :enDF3 to absorb a hit into a punish.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Her frametrap has the same rules as Cages, you gotta jail them into standing block first, preferably with a long string, frame trap with the dagger and then follow up with a mid hitting move thats quick enough to be uninteruptable, seems like B11F4 was the best string to use because it can be hitconfirmed into a full combo, cancelled into a slide after a blocked B11 as well as being mid hitting so you can be poked out of it/they cant jump without taking damage.

ryublaze

Noob
One problem I see in the 1,1,2 or B1,1,F4,EX Dagger cancel,F2,1,2,1+2 string is that once the opponent sees the EX Dagger, they'll duck and let go of block and be able to low poke or uppercut you as you go for F2,1,2,1+2. The F2 always misses on a crouching opponent so the opponent has enough time to interrupt you.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
One problem I see in the 1,1,2 or B1,1,F4,EX Dagger cancel,F2,1,2,1+2 string is that once the opponent sees the EX Dagger, they'll duck and let go of block and be able to low poke or uppercut you as you go for F2,1,2,1+2. The F2 always misses on a crouching opponent so the opponent has enough time to interrupt you.
Sick Skarlet last night, Raptor! We need to play again soon. And I swear I did NOT pull.. lol.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Thats why you use B11F4, its a mid hitting launcher that cant be interrupted after en Ex Dagger, + it can be hitconfirmed into a slide on block after B11 or F4slide up slash on hit.