What's new

(8/20/2011) VATR presents: "Summer Crowns & Beatdowns" @ Fairfax, VA

Virginia Tekken Rage (VATR) is a group of Tekken players dedicated to promoting the local scene in Virginia and Maryland. While we have primarily dealt with Tekken we are excited to host our very first MK9 tournament at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA.

We may also have a surprise appearance by Texas's very own, Tom Brady!

When:
August 20th, 2011
Doors open 11AM
================
Johnson Center (JC)- 3rd Floor, Room A
4400 University Drive, Fairfax, Virginia 22030 - Google Directions to Parking Lot

==========================

Games & Schedule

-1PM - MvC3 Starts
-2PM- MK9 starts
-3PM - Tekken 6 Starts
-6PM - EXHIBITIONS (Mostly Tekken exhibition matches but if we have time I would like to include an MK one if you guys are up for it)
-8PM - Casuals and Exhibition Matches
Doors close 10PM

NOTE: PLEASE BE ON TIME. We have the venue for a limited amount of time and starting on time is crucial. We still start the events at the times listed.
===================================
Parking and Metro:
Parking
Please park at Lot A if possible but there are other free parking lots at K,L,J, and C. Below are images to guide your parking experience.

Braddock/Rt.123
Braddock/Roberts

Metro
Get to VIENNA METRO STATION and go to the NORTH exit and a mason shuttle should arrive near the parking deck every 30 minutes. "METRO TO MASON"

For more detailed instructions, check out this website provided by GMU. For additional personal help, please call Sayco or email any of the admins or ask on FB or SOMETHING!
=================================================
Tournaments and Fees:
Venue Fee: $5*
Entry Fee: $5 per person per tournament
Mason Student = $4 discount on venue fee
Bring Setup (PS3+MK9 + DLC or TV/MONITOR)* = $5 venue fee waived
Parking = FREE FREE FREE

*VATR will be ordering pizza and drinks for everyone at the event.
=================================================
Tournament rules
I'm not 100% familiar with the MK scene's rules so if anything I list seems off please let me know.

* Timer set to 90
* Default Handicap setting
* All characters, including DLC (Kenshi, Skarlett, Rain) will be legal except for Kratos and Freddy. I was advised to not include Freddy because he will have been released roughly a week and a half before this tourney and it might be considered to too early to allow him in competitive play...but if the majority of you guys think he should be allowed we will allow him.
*All games except finals are best of 3. Finals are best of 5
* Winning players must keep the same character(s)
* (SSF4) Winning players may switch ultras during a set
* (Tekken 6) Rounds set to best of 5 rather than best of 3.
* (MVC3) Winning players must keep the same assists during a set. Losing players may switch

Addiontal info
-6 PS3 setups for Tekken
-3 PS3 setups for Marvel vs Capcom 3
-2 PS3 setups for Mortal Kombat 9
-Two wired 360 controller converter
-VATR will order pizza and drinks
-Two recording stations
-Hopefully we can get a stream going for this tournament
- By entering Tekken you will be entered into a raffle where you can win a FREE Round 2 MadCatz TE FightStick!!! A 120-150 dollar value!

UPDATE 8-8-2011

N0rdicNinja is adding $100 to the MK9 pot!

For more questions please contact
dangstro @ [email protected] or [email protected]

---------------------------------------------------
Setup Discount
---------------------------------------------------
PS3 + GAME+DLC
1.SWB
2.Blackula (maybe)
3.Nordic Ninja

Monitor/CRT
1. SWB
2.Nordic Ninja

Please post up if you can bring a PS3 with DLC!

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
And of course, mk3 cyrax, mk2 smoke, etc are banned.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
I also have at least 1 more competitor tagging along with me as well as a handful of observers.

Edit: And could I get a yay or nay on whether I should bring my set up? I'd hate to bring it if it's going to end up being entirely unnecessary. Thanks

I also have at least 1 more competitor tagging along with me as well as a handful of observers.

Edit: And could I get a yay or nay on whether I should bring my set up? I'd hate to bring it if it's going to end up being entirely unnecessary. Thanks
Got you down for bringing a setup. Thanks!

edit: just out of curiosity, what kind of monitor do you have and how is the lag on it?

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
I'm not entirely sure on the brand, I could give you the specifics when I get home. But it's a 24'' 1080p screen. It's what I primarily play on and I have never noticed any lag on it what so ever, at least nothing beyond network related issues.

Eazail

Noob
Aren't all klassic skins generally band as a rule of thumb?
Only, Mk3 Cyrax, Mk2 Smoke and Mk2 Noob are banned to my knowledge. The other classic skins are legit I believe. The reason for the banning is because of bomb traps and otg smoke bombs etc. Those were patched and should have been gone. Hopefully this upcoming patch will fixthe skins so that none are banned. If I go, I will probably want to use MK3 Subzero so he better be there lol

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
I will make certain that all the DLC released with Freddy is on my PS3 prior to the 20th. So you should have access to MK3 sub.

UPDATE

As if there wasn't already enough incentive to come out, N0rdicNinja is adding $100 to the MK9 pot! Much thanks to N0rdicNinja for his generosity.

N0rdic- Don't worry about the 42'' hahaha. Way too much of a hassle to get that thing to Mason (and quite frankly I don't think we have the space). The Samsung should be fine. Appreciate your help, sir.

Eazail

Noob
So who is everyone using? Im using Kung Lao and Subzero mainly. Possibly Reptile or Rain if I get the chance.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
You're a good man in my book, N0rdic. That's how you support a scene. Respect.

Everyone else, spread the word and bring people out for this!

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Also, matches will be capped (live feed), and if there's enough interest, we can watch the TYMCP video from my PS3 during pizza/lunch time.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Just doing my part, I'm dying to have a local scene and am willing to do what I can to make it happen. Lets get those asses in dem seats!

Also, matches will be capped (live feed), and if there's enough interest, we can watch the TYMCP video from my PS3 during pizza/lunch time.
Awesome!

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Anyone from Maryland want to give me a ride or something, or anyone help with maybe showing a public transportation route I can take? I wish I had a car man I'd be at this tournament in a heartbeat if I could drive myself.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Can you get to the Metro? If you could Metro it to the Vienna stop I'd be willing to pick you up.

Edit: There's also a bus that goes from the Vienna Metro to George Mason.

CitizenSnips

I don't know how metro stations really work >_>

I've been on some in Baltimore but I'm not really smart with that kind of stuff. And thanks for the help, not having a car really blows.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Now's a better time than never to learn how to metro.

What metro station are you closest to? We can figure out if you're closer to N0rdic or to me. I already have someone meeting me at the station closest to me on that day for a ride down to GMU, so if you're closer to me, I can definitely pick you up.

Edit: Or rather, where do you live? Baltimore?

CitizenSnips

I live north of Baltimore, in Timonium. I found a bus that goes from DC to around where Summer Jam is but no luck for this tourny

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
A friend of mine is actually traveling from that area to come to the tournament, I could ask him if he's willing to give you a ride. I can't speak for him however so no promises, he actually doesn't play fighters competitively so he's just coming to watch and generally be supportive of the gaming community. But if he's willing to I can get you in contact with him. Again, haven't spoken to him about it yet so don't take it as a guarantee.

As for the Metro the closest stop to me is Vienna, which happens to be the closest stop to the school, but for people who are metroing it there I'd be willing to carpool people from the metro stop to the school.