What's new

Question 50 Shades of Grey Roleplay Thread

Why isn't Aquaman placing?

• Total voters

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
"I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror. Damn my hair, it just won’t behave, and damn Rose for being ill and subjecting me to this ordeal. I have tried to brush my hair into submission but it’s not toeing the line. I must learn not to sleep with it wet. I recite this five times as a mantra whilst I try, once more, with the brush. I give up. The only thing I can do is restrain it, tightly, in a pony tail and hope that I look reasonably presentable."

Last edited:

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
why not both? Great char, but not that much broken, and this will always be the world of downplaying. :coffee:

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I don't feel he is over rated I think that many started to learn the match up a lot since release, cause for a while he was a pain in people's side. I think he is a solid character, I just bored using him.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
Aquaman tournament players are not the best, certainly now post patch Aquaman will be considered above Superman and Bladam? He may be on a tier with MMH and WW now.

Depends who were asking there are ppl who realize hes great, not op or broken, but still a top tier contender who says hes top 5 or 3 (which he mostly likely is) and from that point hes not overreacted just a somewhat under used char compared chars like sups of BA (tho that might change :p !)

But then there are some ppl who post here and i saw in the full patch notes thread that said in regards to a AM vs SM topic in that thread "just chip him out with trident rush" and its those kind of ppl who overrate as some god without even knowing how he plays/works

4x4lo8o

Noob
I expect better from you, Chef.

It's just as easily possible that there aren't as many high level Aquaman players(for whatever reason, maybe because he's less brain dead than Superman) and the best Aquaman players just haven't been able to travel as consistently as the representatives for some of the other high tier characters. Or any other number of reasons. There's a lot more than just player skill and character that goes into tournament placings. I'm sure TYM has been over the argument about how tournament results don't dictate tier lists plenty of times

Edit: This reads like a disingenuous attempt to make people chose between admitting Aquaman isn't as high on the tier list as people say he is or putting Aquaman players on blast when there are a lot of other potential reasons.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Maybe because there are many characters that are played in a tournament, with many different players at many different skill levels, and maybe tournament results are often decided by who's matched against who or who comes out of the brackets or who was hung over from the day before, and maybe there are infinite possibilities of what could go wrong or right in a match. And maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't try to assign an objective result to an event that's affected by so many random variables.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Maybe because there are many characters that are played in a tournament, with many different players at many different skill levels, and maybe tournament results are often decided by who's matched against who or who comes out of the brackets or who was hung over from the day before, and maybe there are infinite possibilities of what could go wrong or right in a match. And maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't try to assign an objective result to an event that's affected by so many random variables.
But...but then how do we make tier lists?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I expect better from you, Chef.

It's just as easily possible that there aren't as many high level Aquaman players(for whatever reason, maybe because he's less brain dead than Superman) and the best Aquaman players just haven't been able to travel as consistently as the representatives for some of the other high tier characters. Or any other number of reasons. There's a lot more than just player skill and character that goes into tournament placings. I'm sure TYM has been over the argument about how tournament results don't dictate tier lists plenty of times

Well I'm just saying, if you look at Superman and Black Adam's tournament records vs Aquaman's tournament records there is a HUUUUUUGE difference. We have a good amount of Aquaman players that travel to majors too: Tom, Flawed, Riyo, Insaynne, etc.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Aquaman players just don't deliver. This character is STUPID. He has dominant footsies because of his dash and b1, as well as one of the best jump attacks in the game. He takes free chip everytime he gets in ( with a frickin d1 cancel). Only a handful of characters can punish it and that's assuming that the aqua player positions themselves close to their opponent during the move.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I think this characters is very good, pre-patch (like top 5). Just because no one is winning in tournament with him doesn't make him any worse (see every Kenshi but Pig, or Sonya in MK9). There is a lack of representation with him, I believe.

When more top players start using him (if at all) then we will see what he can really do. Its tough to say a character (or a whole community of players) is bad, because our community is just too small to have the representation.

Odoyle

Drops combos
Aquaman players just don't deliver. This character is STUPID. He has dominant footsies because of his dash and b1, as well as one of the best jump attacks in the game. He takes free chip everytime he gets in ( with a frickin d1 cancel). Only a handful of characters can punish it and that's assuming that the aqua player positions themselves close to their opponent during the move.

Those BA nerfs really hurts you in that matchup I'm assuming. I know it's downright dreadful for Sinestro.