What's new

50/50, Vortex, Reset. Whats the difference?

Is there a Difference?

• Total voters
NRS games have corrupted our youth!

Only MK/Injustice players call glitches and inescapable OTGs resets.

If you can't block and can't escape the follow up it's not really a reset. It's an unintentional glitch that NRS was unable to fix or that they made worse by trying to fix something else. But we left them in the game because LOL why not he needz it.
lol, yes this.

Other bad definitions I've learned.

"7-3 matchup" = "Manageable"

"Oki = "Ok, i can get up now without issue" (Safe wake-ups FTW!)

Lone

KHAOTIC
So, in the case of something like Sonic Fox's Batgirl pressure, is that a vortex that incorporates 50/50s, a standing reset that incorporates 50/50s, or just, plainly, a 50/50?

This is a great thread, by the way.
I don't have a great grasp on BG but I do understand her gameplan at an elementary level. For simplicities sake, I'll say she starts her offense via 50/50s.

A - She utilizes strings that 50/50 you, after a clean hit, B - she juggles you into MB Bola, which places you into a standing reset. Finally, C - she reverts back to A. Therefore, vortexing you.

But to be fair, @SonicFox5000 isn't like a cookie cutter Batgirl, so, his actual onslaught probably incorporates other nuances that he specifically came up with. Not to mention his "yolo" factor that further adds to his arsenal.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I don't have a great grasp on BG but I do understand her gameplan at an elementary level. For simplicities sake, I'll say she starts her offense via 50/50s.

A - She utilizes strings that 50/50 you, after a clean hit, B - she juggles you into MB Bola, which places you into a standing reset. Finally, C - she reverts back to A. Therefore, vortexing you.

But to be fair, @SonicFox5000 isn't like a cookie cutter Batgirl, so, his actual onslaught probably incorporates other nuances that he specifically came up with. Not to mention his "yolo" factor that further adds to his arsenal.
Bola doesn't require meter. She has a meterless vortex.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
OK here is the correct terminology atleast for NRS terms, some people have the right idea so I will put it in laymans terms

50/50: If a character has a 50/50 like Flash, they are able to hit confirm overhead or low to a full combo.

Vortex: This means that after a 50/50 combo you are left standing, this ensures that the victim must correctly guess on whether block high or low and has no option for a wake up attack or other means of escape. Killer Frost, Scorpion(MK9 and Injustice) and Batgirl has a vortex. You must guess correctly or it will loop forever (atleast until killer frost and injustice scorpion loses their meter, Batgirl and MK9 Scorpion doesn't need meter to put you in a loop.

Reset: A combo scales (lessens) in damage after a number of hits with each successive hit doing lower and lower damage. A TRUE reset like Cyrax from MK9 or Grundy in Injustice is able to do a combo and place you in a situation where you are unable to defend against the next succession of attacks. This RESETS the damage counter so basically you are doing an enormous amount of damage without having to fear about damage scaling. So when Grundy does a combo and does a B1 on you he is able to grab you (if timed correctly) and do an extra 30% for free. Cyrax is able to kill you with resets based on how much meter he has.
Also what some people were saying that you "drop" a combo in hopes of getting you into another combo (The key word is "hope") that is not a true reset, but an AMERICAN reset. A real reset doesn't depend on hope to reset the counter and do more damage.

Also what some people were saying that you "drop" a combo in hopes of getting you into another combo (The key word is "hope") that is not a true reset, but an AMERICAN reset. A real reset doesn't depend on hope to reset the counter and do more damage.
*facepalm*

The "american reset" is when you drop a combo unintentionally and start a new one, again, unintentionally.

A real reset is purposely not ending a combo (or doing an ender that either keeps them standing or makes them get up quickly) and it's supposed to be blockable and escapable. The whole point is to sacrifice X% guaranteed damage for XX% potential damage if your following mixup works.

So yes, resets are all about taking risks for bigger reward. It is, in fact, about chance or rather about reading and conditioning.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
*facepalm*

The "american reset" is when you drop a combo unintentionally and start a new one, again, unintentionally.

A real reset is purposely not ending a combo (or doing an ender that either keeps them standing or makes them get up quickly) and it's supposed to be blockable and escapable. The whole point is to sacrifice X% guaranteed damage for XX% potential damage if your following mixup works.

So yes, resets are all about taking risks for bigger reward. It is, in fact, about chance or rather about reading and conditioning.
You are right about the american reset, but in NRS games there are unescapable resets. That IMO is a true reset.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You are right about the american reset, but in NRS games there are unescapable resets. That IMO is a true reset.
Just cause NRS games have unblockable resets doesn't make it the true definition of a reset. BG's overhead/lows after bola are resets. (Although she does have unblocking resets with interactables)

Also, characters with no-wakeup vortexes in Injustice:

- Batgirl
- Killer Frost
- Sinestro
- Scorpion
- Zatanna
- WW shield
- WW lasso (corner only)
- Superman (corner only)
- MMH (corner + interactable only)

Hades

Noob
Standing resets are also examples of vortexes. I think you're stuck in the Street Fighter mentality that it has to be after a hard knockdown; that's not true.

• Reset: As a combo continues, each move does progressively less damage then it would had the attack been performed outside of a combo. A reset is a situation that resets the combo hit counter so as to counteract damage scaling. Some resets involve a hard knock down while others may involve a standing reset.
  • Vortex: A reset which loops back into itself. eg. BG's vortex after bola, KF's vortex after freeze, Sinestro's vortex after shackles, GL's vortex after MB db1.
  • 50/50: Refers to a state in which you have the choice to attack with one of two options which can’t be defended against simultaneously (eg. an overhead and a low). Your opponent must guess which of the two options you will use as they can’t defend against both.
Does green lanterns meter burn lift count as a vortex though? If your facing a character that can wake up they can get out for free. I thought a vortex was a reset that loops back on itself that the opponent has to block. Because isn't lanterns meter burn lift just an oki set up rather than a vortex?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Does green lanterns meter burn lift count as a vortex though? If your facing a character that can wake up they can get out for free. I thought a vortex was a reset that loops back on itself that the opponent has to block. Because isn't lanterns meter burn lift just an oki set up rather than a vortex?
In the traditional sense it is a vortex. But in terms of it's comparative strength where 1/4 of the cast have legitimate standing resets, it's not that strong.