What's new

4.6% of Developers Are actively making Wii-U titles. #Bust

http://www.gamespot.com/news/study-46-percent-of-developers-making-wii-u-games-6404615

I tried to warn you guys about the inevitable fail this will be for Nintendo

Writing is on the wall
Nintendo is not capable of any good games, new IPs, etc. Epic already stated Wii U "could" run UE4, that doesn't sound too assuring, I don't think developers would want to take that extra chance of their game not running at optimal conditions. UE powers like half the market these days. Lol.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Times have changed, but Nintendo itself still makes fun games. I just don't pay full price for there stuff anymore.

Nintendo is not capable of any good games, new IPs, etc. Epic already stated Wii U "could" run UE4, that doesn't sound too assuring, I don't think developers would want to take that extra chance of their game not running at optimal conditions. UE powers like half the market these days. Lol.
no one comes up with new IPs anymore man. can't risk losing money on a game because of the development costs of making a AAA title.

I don't really care anymore, as long as there are still fun games to play on any system, I am loyal to none but my own entertainment,

New Zelda will be amazing, and I will get a Wii U when that comes out.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Nintendo is not good at making games!???

Dude go look at a list of the best selling games of all time. Anything nintendo makes is a staple of excelence, as far as software goes.

Now their problem lies in the hard ware. And specifically the motion controls. The wii is great, uses an opera browser has a friendly UI. but you are stuck with that stupid wii mote. Nintendo decided with the Wii that they will worry about the casual gamers, and look how much better the wii did than the xbox 360 or ps3. Sure third parties might not be.developing for the Wii U, but Nintendo surely is, and those are the only games people care about anyways.

Also, nintendo has patents on a huge amount of IP, which is one reason why the xbox has such a shitty d-pad.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Times have changed, but Nintendo itself still makes fun games. I just don't pay full price for there stuff anymore.

no one comes up with new IPs anymore man. can't risk losing money on a game because of the development costs of making a AAA title.

I don't really care anymore, as long as there are still fun games to play on any system, I am loyal to none but my own entertainment,

New Zelda will be amazing, and I will get a Wii U when that comes out.
it is true i only buy nintendo systems when they've dropped 50% in price to play the only 3 games worth to play on their systems.

FTR since N64 nintendo has had a hellacious time designing a system thats desirable for companies to make games for.

For one thing their SDKs are apparently very difficult to work with and their systems, while they are unique in their gimmicks, are behind the times in processor speed, memory and power.

Pig Of The Hut

Dude go look at a list of the best selling games of all time. Anything nintendo makes is a staple of excelence, as far as software goes.

Now their problem lies in the hard ware. And specifically the motion controls. The wii is great, uses an opera browser has a friendly UI. but you are stuck with that stupid wii mote. Nintendo decided with the Wii that they will worry about the casual gamers, and look how much better the wii did than the xbox 360 or ps3. Sure third parties might not be.developing for the Wii U, but Nintendo surely is, and those are the only games people care about anyways.

Also, nintendo has patents on a huge amount of IP, which is one reason why the xbox has such a shitty d-pad.
But You cant keep relying on a new product surviving by the same 3 titles each system.

The % of developers is alarming

Talking about current man, top selling games have always been Nintendo because of what they started back in the 90s. Stop mentioning Mario games and friends when people mention Nintendo. What has Nintendo created lately that has stood out?

Jimmypotato People still make them, not as much, the other consoles have more new IPs that are good than Nintendo, on top of my head.

I'm not looking for a fanboy war, show me some games, that's all I'm asking.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
it is true i only buy nintendo systems when they've dropped 50% in price to play the only 3 games worth to play on their systems.

FTR since N64 nintendo has had a hellacious time designing a system thats desirable for companies to make games for.

For one thing their SDKs are apparently very difficult to work with and their systems, while they are unique in their gimmicks, are behind the times in processor speed, memory and power.
yah thats kinda there problem, they don't think of any other developers besides themselves, because really, they make money on just there own games. and as long as they are making money they will still be in business.

just because other developers can't or don't know how to make games for there stuff has never stopped them before, does it make it a desirable system for a hardcore gamer who plays multiple game types, hell no lol.

i honestly keep forgetting that injustice will be released on it lol.

Pig Of The Hut

yah thats kinda there problem, they don't think of any other developers besides themselves, because really, they make money on just there own games. and as long as they are making money they will still be in business.

just because other developers can't or don't know how to make games for there stuff has never stopped them before, does it make it a desirable system for a hardcore gamer who plays multiple game types, hell no lol.

i honestly keep forgetting that injustice will be released on it lol.
i cant possibly imagine someone buying injustice for wi-u when they could for xbox or ps3

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Talking about current man, top selling games have always been Nintendo because of what they started back in the 90s. Stop mentioning Mario games and friends when people mention Nintendo. What has Nintendo created lately that has stood out?

Jimmypotato People still make them, not as much, the other consoles have more new IPs that are good than Nintendo, on top of my head.

I'm not looking for a fanboy war, show me some games, that's all I'm asking.
Zombie U is a new IP, clearly only one game though lol.

there were a couple on Wii that i'm pretty sure nobody played but were solid games;

No More Heros was fun,
XenoBlade Cronicles
MadWorld

some developers have the talent to make good games and take chances, and some just have no choice but to churn out crap or remakes or sequels because they can't afford not too, I mean it's a tough industry out there right now,

how the hell does a company like THQ go down??

Pig Of The Hut

there were a couple on Wii that i'm pretty sure nobody played but were solid games;

No More Heros was fun,
XenoBlade Cronicles
MadWorld

some developers have the talent to make good games and take chances, and some just have no choice but to churn out crap or remakes or sequels because they can't afford not too, I mean it's a tough industry out there right now,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

I dont see ANY worthy games or franchises on this list when doing a quick look

A lot of Movie Cash Ins

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Been saying since the Wii came out that it's just a huge gimmick.
I love the Wii. Probably for all the wrong reasons:

* Zelda
* Metroid
* Mario
* Xenoblade Chronicles
* Backwards compatibility for all of my awesome GameCube games (Zeldas, Metroids, Mario, REs, PSO1&2, Eternal Darkness, MGS: TS, Soul Calibur 2 [Link!])

Nintendo needs to just start letting their Western developers design consoles (What Sony is doing with PS4) that will cater it to what will make a console great in this generation.

I can't help but feel like Nintendo is severely out of touch with their fans currently. They are putting too much emphasis on being a 'disruptive force' and pushing gimmicks instead of quality titles and meeting the needs of other developers.

Their greatest asset is the IP library they are in control of, but they have NEVER leveraged it in the way that they really NEED to.

The sad thing is, is that it would be so incredibly EASY for Nintendo to make billions of dollars if they just made the things the fans are asking for and more heavily adopted and supported online functionality.

I honestly believe that I could run Nintendo better than they currently are right now.

Edit: With that said, this year is looking like it will be a stronger year than last (3DS is starting to build a pretty solid library, and Wii-U will probably still be garbage until the end of the year. Pikmin 3 needs to drop).

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

I dont see ANY worthy games or franchises on this list when doing a quick look

A lot of Movie Cash Ins
actually, it's probably the movie cash ins that lost them there money,

WWE licence
New South Park Game was coming out
DarkSiders was good
UFC Licence
Saints Row Franchise

I think they just put out to many things looking at it now,

but they should have been a company that made money if it was run properly

No More Heros was fun,
XenoBlade Cronicles
MadWorld

Haha yeah, I'll put it this way, for what it's worth, the demographic they "seem" to be targeting, those games are right up their alley, i.e. families and kids. Outside of that realm, they're not doing so good.

I have no idea why it went down, I think it had to do with their WWE games and Darksiders not doing as good.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Nintendo needs to just start letting their Western developers design consoles (What Sony is doing with PS4) that will cater it to what will make a console great in this generation.

I can't help but feel like Nintendo is severely out of touch with their fans currently. They are putting too much emphasis on being a 'disruptive force' and pushing gimmicks instead of quality titles and meeting the needs of other developers.

Their greatest asset is the IP library they are in control of, but they have NEVER leveraged it in the way that they really NEED to.

The sad thing is, is that it would be so incredibly EASY for Nintendo to make billions of dollars if they just made the things the fans are asking for and more heavily adopted and supported online functionality.

I honestly believe that I could run Nintendo better than they currently are right now.

Edit: With that said, this year is looking like it will be a stronger year than last (3DS is starting to build a pretty solid library, and Wii-U will probably still be garbage until the end of the year. Pikmin 3 needs to drop).
If they made an actual, non-gimmicky console, and released a fallout/skyrim style Pokemon RPG... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

If they made an actual, non-gimmicky console, and released a fallout/skyrim style Pokemon RPG... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Pokemon the MMO would be the WOW killer the world has been waiting for.

They could release an expansion every year, here's how I envision it:

Year (1): Island 1 (Pokemon #1-151)
Year (2): Island 2 (Pokemon #152-300)
Year (3): Island 3 (Pokemon #301-450)
Year (4): Island 4 (Pokemon #451-600)

And so forth.

If they built social interactions into the game, tournaments, etc. The game would be ridiculous.

Hell, i'm sure they could get away with a monthly subscription model for the game in addition to selling each expansion at $60.00 a pop.

Imagine if this game was a Wii-U launch title with the touch screen controller. They wouldn't be able to keep these things on the shelf, and it wouldn't matter that they don't/won't have any games for the rest of the fiscal year.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Pokemon the MMO would be the WOW killer the world has been waiting for.

They could release an expansion every year, here's how I envision it:

Year (1): Island 1 (Pokemon #1-151)
Year (2): Island 2 (Pokemon #152-300)
Year (3): Island 3 (Pokemon #301-450)
Year (4): Island 4 (Pokemon #451-600)

And so forth.

If they built social interactions into the game, tournaments, etc. The game would be ridiculous.

Hell, i'm sure they could get away with a monthly subscription model for the game in addition to selling each expansion at $60.00 a pop.

Imagine if this game was a Wii-U launch title with the touch screen controller. They wouldn't be able to keep these things on the shelf, and it wouldn't matter that they don't/won't have any games for the rest of the fiscal year.

Not a fan of MMOs really. Just want a non handheld Pokemon rpg lol.

But you're totally right... it'd be INSANE the amount of money they could make!