What's new

24 characters initially and the rest unlockables like Cyber SZ & Quan Chi?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Okay, I think it's time to talk about this.

There is a chance by the way it's looking that the 24 characters on the recent character select screen are going to be the initial roster and any others will potentially be unlockables (and of course DLC, but that isn't what I'm talking about).

NRS has shown to enjoy having unlockable characters so is there a possibility that passed the official reveals of Black Adam, Ares, and the mystery woman in the acheivement picture we might actually not get any more reveals until the game is actually out to the public?

Hector in a passed interview said that they weren't even at half the roster at the time and at that time they had revealed 12 characters.

So this would have us assume that there is definitely more than 24, but how many more exactly not counting DLC? Will these missing slots on this recent character select screen be the ones we unlock through the story and that is why they aren't there? And most importantly, who is enough of a twist to be these remaining slots that get uncovered in important parts of story mode?

(missing slots on the left: Hawkgirl and Shazam. missing slots on the right: Sinestro, Doomsday, Ares, mystery woman)

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I still think Lobo and MM are going to be DLC to give people that incentive to get DLC. Remember they held off Rain because they knew he'd sell.

Captain Cold seems like a good idea because of the ice beam being shot at Flash in the intro screen, but I think Mirror Master's radically different design in the comic paired up with the fact that I think he'd be a much cooler villain if Flash were to ever have a movie might lend me to thinking he might be in too....

They'd both have to have a major twist part in the story though.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Well, I've made my feelings clear that I doubt they'll ditch the having one or two slots in the lower corners reserved for rotating through DLC characters (and thusly disbelieve this being the final layout for character select). Among a few additional reasons, such as "Why would he remark that a specific character select screen is a placeholder, only for the real thing to strongly resemble it?".

But I digress. If Ares is a boss character, I could see him being an unlockable (in that I don't believe they'll go for unplayable bosses again - maybe buffed up versions of playable characters as bosses, though). That goes for whoever else may be the boss character(s).

Additionally, any other character that may come completely out of left field in the storyline. I'd HATE to raise the hopes of the group of Injustice fans I feel for the most, but if it turns out that a twist involves MMH impersonating someone, I'd say that's a good reason to keep his inclusion a secret/make him unlockable. Big bad behind the secenes manipulators or unexpected saviours would be other roles I could see unlockable characters holding.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
They should just reveal the whole roster next week. Then, they don't have to worry about character leaks when they release a demo.

I don't remember some of the early details about MK9.... When MK9 first released and people played it for the first time wasn't there still reserved blank character selection spots for those characters that were not yet unlocked? Didn't we still know how many total characters were in the game by looking at the character select screen even if we didn't yet have access to all of them?

If that was the case then I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect Injustice to be different.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
I still think Lobo and MM are going to be DLC to give people that incentive to get DLC. Remember they held off Rain because they knew he'd sell.

Captain Cold seems like a good idea because of the ice beam being shot at Flash in the intro screen, but I think Mirror Master's radically different design in the comic paired up with the fact that I think he'd be a much cooler villain if Flash were to ever have a movie might lend me to thinking he might be in too....

They'd both have to have a major twist part in the story though.
Why do I feel like we're not getting a Flash villain?

If there are only 2 slots, then I think it will be Black Adam and Killer Frost/Ares... which is why I think it will be 26 or 28.

That way, we can have Black Adam, Killer Frost, Ares, Mirror Master/Captain Cold, MMHunter, somebody else.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I don't remember some of the early details about MK9.... When MK9 first released and people played it for the first time wasn't there still reserved blank character selection spots for those characters that were not yet unlocked? Didn't we still know how many total characters were in the game by looking at the character select screen even if we didn't yet have access to all of them?

If that was the case then I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect Injustice to be different.
I don't believe Hector explicitly said "hey this is just a placeholder screen" back then, so we have reason to be skeptical this go around.

I can't say I'd be disappointed if this is what we get, though: I have plenty of characters I wanna play as is. I find the lack of Flash Villain odd but I'd just assume at least one would be DLC.

Why do I feel like we're not getting a Flash villain?

If there are only 2 slots, then I think it will be Black Adam and Killer Frost/Ares... which is why I think it will be 26 or 28.

That way, we can have Black Adam, Killer Frost, Ares, Mirror Master/Captain Cold, MMHunter, somebody else.
Black Adam is already ON that roster up there.

Robotic Shark

you can never have too much honey
don't know why you people still think killer frost has more of a chance than Captain Cold all she has is a pic that looks a little liker her and several other characters

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
don't know why you people still think killer frost has more of a chance than killer frost all she has is a pic that looks a little liker her and several other characters
Killer Frost has more of a chance than Killer Frost? I know you messed up there, but damn, I had to read that like 3 times.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
don't know why you people still think killer frost has more of a chance than killer frost all she has is a pic that looks a little liker her and several other characters
Well, look at it this way.

If people assume that:
A. This is the final character select screen
B. The character in the center pf that achievement pic has to be in the roster
C. There has to be someone in the roster that can fling ice at Flash
D. Ares is taking up the other slot, and he likely does not fit B nor C

then Killer Frost is the most likely candidate for that final slot.

Robotic Shark

you can never have too much honey
Well, look at it this way.

If people assume that:
A. This is the final character select screen
B. The character in the center pf that achievement pic has to be in the roster
C. There has to be someone in the roster that can fling ice at Flash
D. Ares is taking up the other slot, and he likely does not fit B nor C

then Killer Frost is the most likely candidate for that final slot.
but then why is killer frost the center of the achievement why her over Lex Joker and many others it doesn't make sense

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I honestly do not think we will be seeing Killer Frost. Like AT ALL. Judging who a female character is in this game by a blurry headshot is like a crapshoot with blank dice. Its too vague to even hope to have a clue. Most we have are colors, but Raven turns red so who knows what sort of stuff they may do.

We've seen Captain Cold with a really elaborate redesign in the comic and the initial trailer hinted each hero was fighting their own villain. I seriously think that Captain Cold is in after all this and that they wouldn't have two freezey pops. Of course I could be wrong considering they had Cyber SZ and Sub Zero before. They like ice users.

I still feel that Killer Frost is waaaaaaaaaaay too unlikely for this roster. She just doesn't fit in. Take it for what it is. Its just my opinion and my reasons behind it.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I don't think it's Killer Frost either. But that's because I don't follow all of those assumptions I laid out.

But if you believe in all of those assumptions (in addition to smaller evidences like COLDGIRL and Killer Frost's sudden emergence on the dccomics.com character directory), I'm just saying that that's really the only way to make all four of those assumptions true for most people in a logical sense.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I still think they'll have more than 24 characters. More characters put in means more casuals drawn in which means more money in their pockets.

Plus I just don't see them putting less than they did with MK9 considering the expansive universe, unless they didn't have enough time and are releasing people like J'onn for DLC later(this is my theory as why he isn't already in, but then again he would have a role in the story :( )

I can totally see them putting in a handful of characters in through download though, so who knows. :)