What's new

20th Anniversary UMK3 Tournament

Drakonian

Shady Divizio
Again, players don't like inescapable, easy to set up block string infinites in any game. They get patched out now. We can do that for the arcade games too.
My problem with TE is that it would be one thing if it was just the block string infinites and glitch jabs removed but it feels like the code for the game has been altered to the point where even simple movements like jumping or an anti air feel weird and are clearly not as fluid as the original, which leads me to believe that UMK3 is a more solid offering between the two even with its flaws.

Last edited:
What's the soonest everyone could make it? If people could post their schedules/what's convenient, it would be most appreciated.
Could be like a weekend battle? And About the whole difference between TE and Vanilla, I don't mind playing both. I just want to play. Just like @Ziggy said let's just host a tournament for both? Why not we're all here to play, it shouldn't matter which one we play on. If someone doesn't want to play TE have them in the vanilla tournament and vice versa.

I still advertise UMK3 and run it at every major I attend and run the newer games, and have done so since MK9. Numbers gradually dropped. There are now players attending again who want to play old school games so the chance of getting some more tournaments for them is increasing.

Again, players don't like inescapable, easy to set up block string infinites in any game. They get patched out now. We can do that for the arcade games too.
I totally agree. I think having access to the code and being able to patch it is a great thing. However, creating a new game entirely isn't a patch

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I totally agree. I think having access to the code and being able to patch it is a great thing. However, creating a new game entirely isn't a patch
I would call it more along the lines of the jump from UMK3 to MKT but with TLC that is missing from that transition. An upgrade with patches, some current as of UMK3 and future MK game logic used to prevent infinites, like knockdowns after certain criteria, rather than just turning something off which serves some kind of visual and applicable purpose, but if you know that it'll end your combo, you will simply not use the move in that circumstance, just as you wouldn't try a spear if you've already done 5 hits.

The things I hear the most complaints about are the universal changes in normals, which to me, changes the game too much and I have "lobbied" to get that changed back. MKII needed flow changes, UMK3 does not. As long as the basic engine plays the same, and characters receive changes in damage, hit detection, frame data, maybe a new move here and there, it's a patch. As long as things that already exist in the game are applied in combination with math in effort to make current issues better, I can't see the changes as anything other than a patch.

Noob Saibot for example is entirely a placeholder right now. It's very frustrating to add in something like that not knowing exactly how to reproduce the character to an acceptable respect of how he was designed for say MKT but you need a jumping off point. It is demonstrated that he can have all the male ninja moves essentially (a la Reptile MK1), but the goal is to make him play like MKT with balance. Much harder than it looks, but possible. People wanting to test should be like "Wow, they are trying hard to make Noob viable" instead of "Why is Noob so broken/hacked?" - Simple answer, it's a Work in Progress.

I would call it more along the lines of the jump from UMK3 to MKT but with TLC that is missing from that transition. An upgrade with patches, some current as of UMK3 and future MK game logic used to prevent infinites, like knockdowns after certain criteria, rather than just turning something off which serves some kind of visual and applicable purpose, but if you know that it'll end your combo, you will simply not use the move in that circumstance, just as you wouldn't try a spear if you've already done 5 hits.

The things I hear the most complaints about are the universal changes in normals, which to me, changes the game too much and I have "lobbied" to get that changed back. MKII needed flow changes, UMK3 does not. As long as the basic engine plays the same, and characters receive changes in damage, hit detection, frame data, maybe a new move here and there, it's a patch. As long as things that already exist in the game are applied in combination with math in effort to make current issues better, I can't see the changes as anything other than a patch.

Noob Saibot for example is entirely a placeholder right now. It's very frustrating to add in something like that not knowing exactly how to reproduce the character to an acceptable respect of how he was designed for say MKT but you need a jumping off point. It is demonstrated that he can have all the male ninja moves essentially (a la Reptile MK1), but the goal is to make him play like MKT with balance. Much harder than it looks, but possible. People wanting to test should be like "Wow, they are trying hard to make Noob viable" instead of "Why is Noob so broken/hacked?" - Simple answer, it's a Work in Progress.
I actually like messing with noob, I like the freeze and teleport options.

And I agree about normals. The throws, especially sektor were BAD

NoDoubt

nasty
This dude in north jersey who lived in Long Island was tryin to host a umk tourny w 2,000 dollar prize. couldn't get it promoted or contact staff idk what happened but I'd be down for that lol. This was a few yrs ago. Shock knows him I think his name was longislandmk or somethin

Game needs a legit online port release and huge payout tourny for people 2 b into it again. Otherwise nothing will do much imo

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
This dude in north jersey who lived in Long Island was tryin to host a umk tourny w 2,000 dollar prize. couldn't get it promoted or contact staff idk what happened but I'd be down for that lol. This was a few yrs ago. Shock knows him I think his name was longislandmk or somethin

Game needs a legit online port release and huge payout tourny for people 2 b into it again. Otherwise nothing will do much imo
Probably Zach, I have tried to cross promote with him but he has some life issues and moved, I think he became a teacher or something. He contacted me years after and said he wanted to do it but never got back to me.

Edit, also, Arion, if you're around come to the Sept 19th event I have, get some players there. i want it to be like last year but more players, possible two setups.

NoDoubt

nasty
Probably Zach, I have tried to cross promote with him but he has some life issues and moved, I think he became a teacher or something. He contacted me years after and said he wanted to do it but never got back to me.

Edit, also, Arion, if you're around come to the Sept 19th event I have, get some players there. i want it to be like last year but more players, possible two setups.
sure what's the event any info

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Leaving for the GGA tomorrow. I'll be available to play Friday and Saturday if anyone want to have a few matches.

nwo

Noob
Personally, the earliest I could make it would be like October - November. Ideally late October early November would be great.

There would have to be a lot of players attending to make it worth it though, since I live in California.

Ziggy

Maybe just throw a date out there and see what people think?

The more i'm playing TE the more I'm enjoying it. I still vote that, if possible, we have a vanilla and a TE tournament.

And if ohio is a midway point for anyone, I'd be down to host a carpool lobby lolol

Drakonian

Shady Divizio
@Shock Been giving TE another go and its been enjoyable but it does need some changes, I noticed some odd hit collision with certain combos and in certain situations but overall its been fun lately with friends. I also hope the game continues with necessary updates. I'm not opposed to any creativity used in the game but just so long as it plays better if thats the only version promoted.

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
@Shock Been giving TE another go and its been enjoyable but it does need some changes, I noticed some odd hit collision with certain combos and in certain situations but overall its been fun lately with friends. I also hope the game continues with necessary updates.
I'm hoping that, we could all agree that the original game is the way to go if we decide to have a 20th anniversary tournament.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Shock Been giving TE another go and its been enjoyable but it does need some changes, I noticed some odd hit collision with certain combos and in certain situations but overall its been fun lately with friends. I also hope the game continues with necessary updates. I'm not opposed to any creativity used in the game but just so long as it plays better if thats the only version promoted.
Those issues have been addressed in recent work, we knew what was causing them it's just the author hasn't had time to work on it much. Sort of bad timing.

Also, there's no reason both versions of the game can't be played, regardless on Sept 19th in parsippany I'm running a UMK3 TE tournament and I need some players to show up.

Let's get an offline tournament together. Chicago has got a UMK3-scene as well as some arcades that I think would work well. Galloping Ghost comes to mind.

Chicago also seems to be a pretty central location for all players. I have no problem coordinating this effort and at this time I'm getting a feel for who's interested and who isn't.
I am a month late but as long as I can make it I would support it. Anytime I am at a tournament and it has umk3 I'll support it even if I cant play.

Also there is no real Chicago scene anymore. Sadly that died when wavenet was taken down. They held umk3 at combo breaker and there was a total of 15 entries.

I People wanting to test should be like "Wow, they are trying hard to make Noob viable" instead of "Why is Noob so broken/hacked?" - Simple answer, it's a Work in Progress.
I kind of like Noob in his placeholder form. he can get ludicrous damage off of a freeze (freeze, deep jk, freeze, aahp jk teleport punch, hk), but I know that won't stick forever.

What about making him like a "selectable" chameleon? Say he does the HK LP pop up... all other ninja moves besides Ermac and Smoke are disabled. once a spear is thrown all of ermac's combos and moves are disabled until the combo is done. The only conflict with this idea is that C-Sub and Reptile have popups that would need input changes, since the D+LP in Reptile's move set causes a popup where as C-Sub has one more to go, D+HP.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
My problem with TE is that it would be one thing if it was just the block string infinites and glitch jabs removed but it feels like the code for the game has been altered to the point where even simple movements like jumping or an anti air feel weird and are clearly not as fluid as the original, which leads me to believe that UMK3 is a more solid offering between the two even with its flaws.
The code is barely changed. Absolutely NOTHING has changed with jumping or anti-airs. That is just you thinking there is something different when there is not.

Also @tehdrewsus, you bring up my matches with Bass again. I do not play online. The way I play is entirely reactionary and any sort of lag or delay makes this impossible. So what you see of me online is not how I play.

The reason there have been months of non-updates is because the game has not been worked on since last Christmas until now.