What's new

2019 Video Games Discussion/Hype Thread

Gamer68

Fujin!
A little early but a new year is still just right around the corner, and there's something it will bring that I think all of us are looking forward to: new video games!

I figured since we have threads for major fighting game titles/series, this thread will mainly be for non-fighters coming out. Don't get me wrong, I'll include them in the release schedules and whatnot, but this will be a great place to talk about games that don't already have threads -- as well as to post your wishlists!

Here are some of the major titles that we know are coming in 2019, with a full list linked below:

MARCH:
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Win, PS4, XBO)
  • Tropico 6 (Win, PS4, XBO)
  • Yoshi's Crafted World (NS)
APRIL:
  • Mortal Kombat 11 (Win, NS, PS4, XBO)
  • Days Gone (PS4)
MAY:
  • Rage 2 (Win, PS4, XBO)
JUNE:
  • Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (NS, PS4, XBO)
  • Super Mario Maker 2 (NS)
JULY:
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NS, PS4)
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (NS)
AUGUST:
  • Shenmue III (Win, PS4)
  • Astral Chain (NS)
SEPTEMBER - DECEMBER:
  • TBD
CONFIRMED 2019 TITLES WITHOUT RELEASE DATE:
  • Animal Crossing (NS)
  • Battletoads (Win, XBO)
  • Code Vein (Win, PS4, XBO)
  • Dreams (PS4)
  • Gears 5 (Win, XBO)
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (NS)
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (NS)
  • MediEvil (PS4)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Win, XBO)
  • Pokemon (NS)
  • Samurai Shodown (Win, NS, PS4, XBO)
  • Skull & Bones (Win, PS4, XBO)
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (TBD)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NS)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_video_gaming

Like I mentioned before, the link above will take you to a list that is constantly being updated with all the 2019 games coming out; including indies, remasters, ports, or generally just smaller releases in the year. I would like to include everything in the main post but I think the post would end up being to big so I decided to reduce it to the main AAA releases coming out.

Keep in-mind that obviously some of the release dates for these games could be changed and obviously new AAA titles will be announced that will need to be added to the main post. I'll try to keep it updated.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
Chances are I won't get any of these games on release (except for maybe one, can you guess which?), but here are the games releasing in 2019 that I like the most:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Devil May Cry V
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Mortal Kombat 11 (who would have guessed?)
  • Dreams
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  • Pokemon

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'll be checking out MK 11(obviously), The New Super Mario Brothers Deluxe edition, can't go wrong with classic Mario updated. Maybe Xbox.

Maybe Pokemon, Rage 2 and DOA6. I really wish they'd make another Super Mario Baseball game on switch with online that plays like the oldschool games.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Whoa.. There's been no hype about The Division 2.. I didn't even know it was coming out.

I wonder if that's because they don't have faith in it, or just because they drastically reduced the marketing budget from last time and are expecting to on ride the previous name.

Gamer68

Fujin!
RE2 and KH3 and the MK11 community reveal all in January? DMC5 and Ninja Souls and the MK11 beta all in March? Oh, my body is ready, but my wallet is not. Let's go, bois!
After playing Resident Evil 7 I'm super excited about the series again. I think Resident Evil 2 looks fantastic so far, but I wonder about the future of the series... Apparently there are reports that Capcom is already starting work on Resident Evil 3 remake, which is a good call in my opinion.

But which one will we end up getting released first, Resident Evil 8 or RE3 remake? I think part of me kinda wants RE8 more to be honest, especially if they include both first person and third person modes and make the story about a classic RE character (probably Chris).

Anyway, more on the remakes: if they keep doing them and they get RE3 out of the way, I kinda hope they do a complete RE4 remake. I know they have re-released that game like a billion times but all of them are just ports with some slight enhancements, I'm talking about a fully fledged remake like they are doing for RE2 and 3. Seriously if they took RE4 and included some new areas and changed a few things about the game to make it slightly more about horror instead of action, it could literally end up being the best Resident Evil of all time. Bonus points if they include remakes of Mercenaries, Separate Ways, and Assignment: Ada along with it.

The only reason why I speculate on this is because I see some people say that remakes of Zero, Outbreak, and other "side" titles are probably next but I honestly hope not. I need my glorious remake of RE4.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Whoa.. There's been no hype about The Division 2.. I didn't even know it was coming out.

I wonder if that's because they don't have faith in it, or just because they drastically reduced the marketing budget from last time and are expecting to on ride the previous name.
I think what is happening to The Division 2 is what happened to Watch Dogs 2.

When Watch Dogs 1 was revealed that games was everywhere, and it was going to be a day one release along with PS4 and the most sold bundle was actually for that game if I remember correctly. They ended up delaying it, but still, my point is that when you look back Watch Dogs was literally THE GAME that everyone was wanting on PS4 when it first came out. It was going to be GTA but more serious, cinematic, and with hacks.

Then it came out and disappointed everyone. I hear that the second one is way better, but it's obvious that Ubisoft put less money into because I barely saw any hype in pre-release, I saw no promos at all, and while it looked better it didn't have as big of an improvement that you would think they would do. It's almost like they were trying to start another Far Cry series, something they could constantly release sequels for but I don't think anyone was really digging it.

The Division 2 will probably end up the same way. It will be a good game, but no one will pay attention to it because they were so disappointed in the first one, and Ubisoft probably isn't putting as much into either.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
After playing Resident Evil 7 I'm super excited about the series again. I think Resident Evil 2 looks fantastic so far, but I wonder about the future of the series... Apparently there are reports that Capcom is already starting work on Resident Evil 3 remake, which is a good call in my opinion.

But which one will we end up getting released first, Resident Evil 8 or RE3 remake? I think part of me kinda wants RE8 more to be honest, especially if they include both first person and third person modes and make the story about a classic RE character (probably Chris).

Anyway, more on the remakes: if they keep doing them and they get RE3 out of the way, I kinda hope they do a complete RE4 remake. I know they have re-released that game like a billion times but all of them are just ports with some slight enhancements, I'm talking about a fully fledged remake like they are doing for RE2 and 3. Seriously if they took RE4 and included some new areas and changed a few things about the game to make it slightly more about horror instead of action, it could literally end up being the best Resident Evil of all time. Bonus points if they include remakes of Mercenaries, Separate Ways, and Assignment: Ada along with it.

The only reason why I speculate on this is because I see some people say that remakes of Zero, Outbreak, and other "side" titles are probably next but I honestly hope not. I need my glorious remake of RE4.
It wouldn't surprise me if more developers started remaking fan favorites from back in the day. Sony seems to have tapped into more consumer goodwill by remaking Shadows of the Collosus, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and even friggin MediEvil.

Capcom might be going the same route. REmake was a huge hit, and seeing how hype people are for RE2, I'd be damn shocked if we didn't get a remake of RE3. Not sure about the side games, but one can hope.

But just imagine if they did remakes of their other IPs? I dunno about you, but I'd have to take a five hour cold shower of they did a remake (NOT REBOOT) of DMC 1-3. I could see how the concept of remaking everything can get annoying, but considering how beloved some older games are, it can only be a win - win for the customer and the developer as long as the devs don't go full EA on us.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Other than MK11, I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 and Devil May Cry 5!
Hopefully Dragon Age 4 will come out in 2019 as well.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
RE2
DMC V
Mortal Kombat 11
Samurai Shodown
Sekiro Shadow Dies Twice
Shenmue III
Cyberpunk 2077 (Considering they will anounce game release for next year)

Ouside of maybe Sekiro Shadow Dies Twice i feel like i can play all those games forever

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I finally got my glorious ps4 so I'm really looking forward to MK11, DOA6, Last of Us 2 and maybe jump force. I don't like Bamco netcodes these days except Tekken 7.

Gears 5 baby!!!! WHHHOOO!

Espio

Kokomo
The two for sure releases I am excited about next year is Mortal Kombat 11 and Sekiro. I need my adventure, fun game to go along with my fighters like I used to do back in the old days.

If the Last of us Part 2 actually comes out in 2019 though, it's gonna be the Clyde of Bonnie/Clyde with MK11. This has been my most anticipated game for a long time now and I'm hoping for as great/deep of a multiplayer experience as last game. The story of TLOU is amazing and I come back to it but the MP is perfect.

Console exclusives like Luigi's Mansion I want, but will never have the time to justify a Switch purchase.

Aside from my top three picks, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil and Dead or Alive 6 but they probably won't be day one purchase concerns for me.

This thread made me realize that the only two non-fighting games I'm looking forward to in 2019 are Bayonetta 3 and the actual Pokémon Switch game (and not this Let's Go nonsense).

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
In order.

Kingdom Hearts
DOA6
MK11

are the Uncle JBeezY is hella ready for! However....didn't Samurai Showdown get teased to be released this year too ?Question mark? I need that in my life too.

One word....EARTHQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
MK 11, RE2 , DMC 5 and Metro Exodus ..... this is enough until E3 2019 arrives and we see if there will be any great surprise yet to come, rsrsrs :D :p

I've forgotten all about The Div 2 before I read this article, now I want it lol. Likely will wait before I get it anyways, want to get DMC5 too much, Tropico 6 is also further up the list than div

Killusion

Stream addict
As I have gotten older I don't really play/buy many new games anymore. That said 2019 seems to be the year I will buy more than my usual two games lol.

Games I'm hyped about in 2019 not in any order:

MK11: Obviously. I love fighting games and NRS does the best ones.

DMC5: I have always liked this series. I'm not _super_ into it but these games are always fun to playthrough once or twice.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: One of my favorite series of all time. Planning to co-op the hell out of this with my crew.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled: Pure nostalgia. Loved the original and I'm planning to 100% this asap.

The Outer Worlds: RPG's are my second favorite genre after fighting games. The thing is I'm kinda picky when it comes to them, and this one seems to hit almost every right spot so far.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
After all the Nintendo Direct stuff from last week no updates on this thread?

Tetris 99 looks fun, gonna grab it soon. Tetris Effect in VR is amazing and a really unique experience. Put me back in the mood for blocks!

Mario Maker on switch has me all hyped up. Used to drive an hour to my friends house just to play Maker on his WiiU.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
After all the Nintendo Direct stuff from last week no updates on this thread?

Tetris 99 looks fun, gonna grab it sons. Tetris Event in VR is amazing and a really unique experience. Put me back in the mood for blocks!

Mario Maker on switch has me all hyped up. Used to drive an hour to my friends house just to play Maker on his WiiU.
I'll be honest: I forgot about the thread when Mortal Kombat 11 was shown off at The Reveal event. There's just been a ton of discussion, speculation, etc, for that game obviously and I guess I kinda got lost in it all. I just updated the thread, though.

ANYWAY, on an unrelated note: I just want to say that I did end up getting Resident Evil 2 and I loved it. Just finished Claire B last night and so I'm finished with all of the campaigns. Aside from having to beat some of the bonus modes, and/or trying to unlock all of the trophies, I'm pretty much done with the main game itself. In my opinion this game was better than RE7, which I thought was better than RE5, 6, etc. The main thing that I want from E3 now is an announcement of either: 1) a DLC expansion for RE2, or 2) Resident Evil 3: Nemesis Remake confirmation. Resident Evil 8 would also be fine, but I hope they make it more like RE2. I thought that game's mechanics and camera angle was perfect.

D

Deleted member 59910

This and mk11 are the games I’m hypest for rn tbh.

Uncontroversially the best kart racer of all time. Nobody @me
Totally agree. CTR is so simple but so funny. All my family played CTR for Ps1, and they’re all hyped now. It’s amazing! Good old days of split screen.