What's new

$20,000 SXSW Injustice 2 Tourney Announced for March 15th

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

Planned on skipping Final Round 2018 due to the heavy competition? This might be your chance to cash in! Brian Compton, founder of EGP, has just announced a $20,000 Injustice 2 tourney for Thursday, March 15 at the SXSW Gaming Expo at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas. It's free entry and AD Solo has confirmed in the comments that all you need is a $20 wristband to get into the convention center that weekend.

A lot of this sounds too good to be true, but I've yet to find the catch. The tourney details are up on Smash.gg and they confirm the same details discussed in the Twitter thread. If everything is indeed as it seems, this might be your chance to win the lion's share of a $20,000 pot without the fear of having to play Sonic Fox in pools. If you can make it, keep TYM updated, let us know how it goes. The event will be streamed, so we will now have one more day of Injustice added on to Final Round that same weekend. Expect things to be busy, and expect TYM to be blowing up with updates as it all goes down.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Something about the article, the short notice, the title, and the fact that at the end it show Commissioner Gordon lock and loading up... is fitting.

EGP_Compton

Brian Compton
What's up! I wanted to post some additional tournament information here to answer some of the questions that I have received on Twitter:

Tournament Schedule (All times in CST):
One day only, Thursday 3/15/18:
12:00PM - Doors Open, Registration Opens
12:45PM - Wave 1 Check-In
1:00PM - Wave 1 Begins
2:15PM - Wave 2 Check-In
2:30PM - Wave 2 Begins
3:45PM - Wave 3 Check-In
4:00PM - Wave 3 Begins
5:15PM - Wave 4 Check-In
5:30PM - Wave 4 Begins
6:45PM - Top 8 Check-In
7:00PM - Top 8 Begins
9:30PM - Tournament Ends

Registration
On-site only. Opens at 12:00PM CST and will be open all day. However the cap is 64 players so I recommend getting there as early as possible to reserve your spot. Find our registration desk at the “Tournament Stage” in the middle of Hall 1. Be advised that you need to purchase a SXSW Gaming wristband to enter the venue (link below).

Cost
There is no fee to enter the tournament. However you will need to purchase a SXSW Gaming wristband to gain entry to the venue (found here). A one day wristband is $25; $49 for all three days of the event.

Prizing

$20,000 total
1st - $6k
2nd - $4k
3rd - $3k
4th - $2k
5th - $1.5k
7th - $1k

Format
Double Elimination, Best of 5 games
Traditional pools (2 players make it out; 1 winner/1 loser. Losses are retained in Top 8)
Bring your own controller/fightstick

Seeding
We will attempt to seed known/skilled players into different waves to the best of our ability.

Casuals
Due to several factors, we will unfortunately not be able to accommodate casual play.

Stream
Live on Twitch at the following channel: https://www.twitch.tv/sxswgamingesports (I know)
Your casters will be Reepal & WonderChef
Injustice will go live AFTER Arena of Valor has finished and we execute a set change. I anticipate this to be between 2PM-3PM.

A bit of recent back story on myself and the event:

As many of you know, I was a full time employee at ESL for several years. I parted ways back in October with my last event being “The Brooklyn Beatdown”. After which I did some freelance work, including being hired as the Producer for ELeague’s Injustice 2 World Championship. I have recently taken a full time position at NGE (Next Generation Esports) in Burbank, CA as a Senior Project Manager.

This event is the result of a partnership between SXSW and NGE in an effort to elevate their gaming festival.

Regrettably the announcement for this event came far too late and I certainly understand any frustration this may cause. I assure you that we would have announced sooner if we could have. However at the end of the day I’m just very happy to see Injustice 2 and the FGC continue to get these kinds of opportunities.

We intend on planning greater things (and earlier announcements) for next year but cannot accomplish this without the support of the community. I hope to see you there either in person or on stream.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

As usual, thank you to TYM for their support.