What's new

2 DC writers leave,more on the way out....

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Andy Diggle and Josua Hale Fialkov quit their DC Books before their first issue is even released due to creative differences with DC's Editorial.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44383
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44391
They are two of several writers who have had problems with Editorial interfiring with thier scripts and not allowing scripts.
THis to me is frankly ridiculous.DC's seemly fear of I dont even know what makes their writers just up and leave.And to make matters worse the good talent they have left continues to be stretch thin through books.At least Fialkov's has been scooped by Marvel and he will be writing the Ultimates.Unfortunetly with Diggle leaving Action and Daniel picking up writing duties I am dropping the series.

A shame....I was planing on doing a thread where I review the Dc Comics I read every week but things like this make me not want to support this company(when comics are concerned).

P.S. According to Bleeding Cool 3 MORE WRITERS are also quitting.Will the day where every DC book is written by Lemire,Johns and Snyder actually come?Bullcrap......

Reedoms

Noob
I have a feeling Diggle left because he was offered more stuff to write at IDW and he didn't want to overload himself. The other I'm not sure about but CBR is notorious for throwing rumors onto their site as facts so I'll just wait it out until the full story comes out.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I have a feeling Diggle left because he was offered more stuff to write at IDW and he didn't want to overload himself. The other I'm not sure about but CBR is notorious for throwing rumors onto their site as facts so I'll just wait it out until the full story comes out.

I wouldn't doubt the "creative differences" part, some of the higher ups in DC seem to think that editors should have more creative control over the story than the writers.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
At least hopefully Lobdell stays since he's extremely happy to be working in mainstream comics again.And hey,I'm a Geoff Johns fan and he is obviously going nowhere since he is DC's Golden Boy.
I dont know what pisses me of more:the fact that Editors are shitting down the necks of thier writers or the fact that they just let Morrison do whatever the fuck he wants because his fans worship him like a god.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
There go the chances of my continuing to read Action Comics post-Morrison.

Hopefully Tomasi will pick up more work with this widening void of talent at DC.

Reedoms

Noob
There go the chances of my continuing to read Action Comics post-Morrison.

Hopefully Tomasi will pick up more work with this widening void of talent at DC.
I think Batman Inc. is supposed to continue after issue 12 with Morrison leaving so maybe they'll put him on there since he can write Batman pretty well. His GL is boring as bananas though.

hellbly

Noob
Let's try to recap who left DC in the last months/couple of years over 'creative differences' (since the Warner restructuring/comics reboot):

Andy Diggle,
Joshua Fialkov,
Rob Liefeld ,
Nick Spencer,
Greg Rucka,
Judd Winick,
Chris Roberson,
Brian Wood,
George Perez,
almost Gail Simone,
Grant Morrison will leave soon.

Am I missing anyone?

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Rob Liefeld ,
Thanks for reminding me that it's not all bad news.

And I think that's about everyone. Some of them (Like Rucka, I think?) left (or announced intent to leave) a bit earlier than the timeframe stated but otherwise yeah.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Fraction seems really tight with Marvel at the moment.

I can sympathise, though. My own personal fantasy is Rick Remender on a new Secret Six book (or soft rebooting the currently abominable Suicide Squad). That's the kind of story he really excels at (loved his Uncanny X-Force and Venom runs).

Reedoms

Noob
Let's try to recap who left DC in the last months/couple of years over 'creative differences' (since the Warner restructuring/comics reboot):

Andy Diggle,
Joshua Fialkov,
Rob Liefeld ,
Nick Spencer,
Greg Rucka,
Judd Winick,
Chris Roberson,
Brian Wood,
George Perez,
almost Gail Simone,
Grant Morrison will leave soon.

Am I missing anyone?
I'm glad Liefeld is gone and I wish Simone did get fired. She is an awful writer and only stays at DC due to her fan club on the internet bitching. Also, Grant isn't leaving over 'creative differences', he's just done with capes for a while after he finishes Multiversity. I think he's going to films afterwards.

If DC didn't hate him so much, I'd love to see Ostrander come back and write some cosmic stuff. Spectre has been reintroduced and I loved his take on him back in the 90's.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I'm glad Liefeld is gone and I wish Simone did get fired. She is an awful writer and only stays at DC due to her fan club on the internet bitching. Also, Grant isn't leaving over 'creative differences', he's just done with capes for a while after he finishes Multiversity. I think he's going to films afterwards.

If DC didn't hate him so much, I'd love to see Ostrander come back and write some cosmic stuff. Spectre has been reintroduced and I loved his take on him back in the 90's.
I hadn't heard about Grant going to films.

I don't know if I'm ready to see whatever Morrison does in motion, presuming he brings that same... majestic psychedelic touch to that.

Reedoms

Noob

I don't know if I'm ready to see whatever Morrison does in motion, presuming he brings that same... majestic psychedelic touch to that.
I can't expect he'd do something like The Invisibles but I'm sure he'll throw his weird concepts in there.

How to write Grant Morrison.jpg

hellbly

Noob
Thanks for reminding me that it's not all bad news.

And I think that's about everyone. Some of them (Like Rucka, I think?) left (or announced intent to leave) a bit earlier than the timeframe stated but otherwise yeah.
true, Rucka left before the reboot but in a more recent interview (after leaving Marvel over his Punisher series) he talked a lot about the interferences suffered in DC.

Fraction seems really tight with Marvel at the moment.

I can sympathise, though. My own personal fantasy is Rick Remender on a new Secret Six book (or soft rebooting the currently abominable Suicide Squad). That's the kind of story he really excels at (loved his Uncanny X-Force and Venom runs).
I'd like to see Bendis on Teen Titans, Hickman on a new Checkmate series.

About Morrison you're right but... it's only my speculation at the moment, but I'm convinced he's also not having a 'good time' in DC.
His batman run was badly damaged by the reboot, his Action Comics is meh, Multiversity and Wonder Woman are MIA (I know they're scheduled sometime this year).

The only Simone book I liked was Secret Six; I dropped Batgirl and Firestorm after few issues.

Do you read the Ostrander Star Wars?

....ah, yeah: DEATH TO LIEFELD!

hellbly

Noob

Morrison movie project should be 'Sinatoro', but I believe the production stopped: at least there are no news for more than a year.

EDIT: I forgot the weird Dinosaurs vs Aliens... never understood if it's a motion comics, a movie or something else

Reedoms

Noob
About Morrison you're right but... it's only my speculation at the moment, but I'm convinced he's also not having a 'good time' in DC. His batman run was badly damaged by the reboot, his Action Comics is meh, Multiversity and Wonder Woman are MIA (I know they're scheduled sometime this year).
The thing about Morrison is that DC loves him so he can do whatever the fuck he wants. At first, Inc. was supposed to be outside of the New 52 since it was having references to things that hadn't happened yet like Metamorpho and Steph, then Morrison was like: It's canon, deal with it and now it is. I think Multiversity is coming out late this year (November/December) or next year. I've barely seen any previews about it but he's been working on it for years now. I'm pretty excited about it from the little I've seen.

hellbly

Noob
The thing about Morrison is that DC loves him so he can do whatever the fuck he wants. At first, Inc. was supposed to be outside of the New 52 since it was having references to things that hadn't happened yet like Metamorpho and Steph, then Morrison was like: It's canon, deal with it and now it is. I think Multiversity is coming out late this year (November/December) or next year. I've barely seen any previews about it but he's been working on it for years now. I'm pretty excited about it from the little I've seen.
I think DC loveD him, after the reboot the role of golden boy passed to Snyder; Morrison has still a lot of freedom (the Inc. special was really out of the new continuity), but not as before: take Action Comics. Pre-reboot Morrison would not have to undergo the 30 days strict schedule that somewhat corrupted his run on Superman (second features, filler artist, etc etc).
I believe Multiversity will be good, he's working on it for a very long time: I hope will be some kind of swan song.