What's new

2/27/19 Kombat Kast Recap

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
To be real, how long can you really talk about Johnny Cage? The guy has been in I think every Mortal Kombat and they said they weren't trying to reinvent the wheel with him
Well one odd thing I noticed is that when 16bit started going on about how easy Johnny is to pick up and play, and less heavy on execution, Tyler jumped in and said "but you know all the combos are still there if you want to try really really hard." And then he doubled down on that for all characters.

It sounded like he was trying to directly address concerns about combos being gone, and didn't like that 16bit made it sound like Johnny doesn't have any combos either.

So, given all this context... I find it odd that they spend like ZERO time going over Crushing Blows. Because Crushing Blows seem to be essential to making hype combos in MK11.

So Tyler, if you're really concerned about giving viewers the wrong impression... why not just... give us the right impression... by showing some cool Krushing Blow combos?

I'm not even complaining, I just find it extremely odd. The solution to his problem is right there.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Just from my first impression of what we've got so far, he so far feels a lot like MK9 Johnny: a close-range powerhouse that, as stated in the original post, is more focused on playing a footsies game. Without knowing his other combos or the frame data, this is how he feels to me thus far:

Pros:
+ Effective-looking block-string that makes me think a bit of his F3, 3, 3 from MK9
+ Advancing normals in F3 & F4
+ Still has the B3 launcher
+ A low starter (FINALLY!) with good range
+ A good projectile with the Straight Fireball
+ Good dash movement
+ Fatal Blow can be dash-cancelled
+ Strong specials with Shadow Kick, Shadow Uppercut/Flipkick, and Nutpunch
+ Even though we didn't see it, they stated that he's got a strong corner game

Cons:
- No overhead, aside from the universal one in NJP, so more reliance on throws
- No real 50/50 game due to lack of overhead
- The curved fireball is too unreliable up-close

I'm on the fence right now with the Stunt Double since that costs us one of Cage's best specials in the Shadow Kick. Seems like it'll be more high risk-high reward. I'm also hoping that the camera can work as a standing reset against jump-ins.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
What I found the most interesting was the fact that the cancel pressure comes back when you are in the danger zone. This is such a awesome idea. I expect top players who main this guy to come out with some crazy comeback shenanigans... and, as I understand it, as you can canceling the FB you need to have that up... so not only will you have all this cool high pressure comebacks, you can also finish in FB for large damage... I think Cage is going to be very exciting to watch in tornys

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'd say Ermac looked more latino/white if anything from his past looks. The chats are always toxic, I pretty much hide it automatically ever since they started the kasts people bitch about something be it PC versions or race or their fav character not being shown etc. I don't even bother reading the chat anymore.

Anyway the kast was awesome, I enjoyed seeing Cage's moves. Love his late 80's/90's look lol

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
My biggest problem with the cast was expectation management. Teasing with a new character reveal (Ed Boon) , only to then have that character revealed earlier, and a "big reveal" that ultimately wasn't that big (maybe European bias) were a letdown.

But the rest was great imo. The breakdown was exactly what it should be, Johnny looks great, and I enjoyed the matches with 16bit and Dizzy. And, opposed to some others, I find Tyler really sympathetic and think he does a great job at hosting. The belt battle gameplay isn't for everyone, but that's the reason why they also have higher level play and the segment is at the very end. So no need to cry about it.

vapid

cyber warlord
wow im glad they "kept" jade the Black women she is to begin with. if you look at my status a few weeks ago i said she was black and people said she was latino, asian, everything under the sun. oh well let them cry those tears taste salty lol
She's Edenian, not black, white, latino, yellow, green or any other label you and/or your people wish to apply.

Why do people have to do this? Why do you have to claim characters for your own grouping?

She's just a video game character, and she's of a fictional non-descript race.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Points that stuck out for me from the cast.

+ JC was just "dripping with style" (thanks @Dankster Morgan , gonna keep stealing that lol)
+ Loved all the throwbacks in johnny's moveset.
+ Jade looked amazing with her green outfit, her round win pose, and her unmasked face.
+ Changing the input for enchancing moves back to a universal input is fucking golden.
+ Really enjoyed seeing Dizzy play again

- REALLY not digging rousey as a VA, she's horrible. Every intro with her just sounds so bad.
- Maybe it was just me, but I felt like they breezed through this particular kast. (didn't show the camera special, the sunglasses, wakeups, etc)

Beta is whatever, I signed up, but meh.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
A lot of people who've never liked the kombat kast keep watching it. Crazy.
Maybe it's because they keep hoping it'll get better. The problem is misleading teases keep getting made and disappointing decisions are being made. For example, as much as I loved seeing More Johnny, it felt kinda redundant to focus a Kombat Kast entirely around him when we still have so many unrevealed fighters left this close to release, and hyping up a big announcement and it just being a Stress Test which most of us won't get to participate in or don't even care about is a letdown.

trufenix

bye felicia
Maybe it's because they keep hoping it'll get better. The problem is misleading teases keep getting made and disappointing decisions are being made. For example, as much as I loved seeing More Johnny, it felt kinda redundant to focus a Kombat Kast entirely around him when we still have so many unrevealed fighters left this close to release, and hyping up a big announcement and it just being a Stress Test which most of us won't get to participate in or don't even care about is a letdown.
They schedule it, they say what they're gonna do, they do it, and you were expecting them to do something else. Those dicks.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
They schedule it, they say what they're gonna do, they do it, and you were expecting them to do something else. Those dicks.
They did inform us that it would focus on Johnny in advance, I did enjoy seeing more of him, but I was disappointed that we didn't get another reveal. They hyped up a "Big "Announcement" with no indication as to what it might exactly be and it turned out to be the Stress Test. For me, that wasn't a big announcement and therefore disappointing. Never was I expecting them to give us more than what they promised, and I'm allowed to be disappointed in what they delivered and hope for something more satisfying in the future.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
She's Edenian, not black, white, latino, yellow, green or any other label you and/or your people wish to apply.

Why do people have to do this? Why do you have to claim characters for your own grouping?

She's just a video game character, and she's of a fictional non-descript race.
its funny that you should say that about a fictional character when people were furious when they casted a black male (michael b jordan) to play johnnystorm in fantastic 4 fictional character i might add. as a black man representation is important. mortal kombat and injustice does black characters right unlike street fighter or any other fighting game. and dont let me get started with having a leading black male actor in star wars! it might not be important to you, but to those who are not represented in sci fi, fiction, comics, films , video games correctly it matters. oh i dont think you would understand especially having a hitler owl as your avatar.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
Jax might be confirmed by Jade vs Sonya intro dialogue
i wonder if they would give him locs this time!!! i saw a design for him for mkxl and was like wow he looked bad ass with those locs. anyway we got sonya and johnny jax gotta be in. oh and if his daughter is in this time i hope they give her a redesign, i wasnt a fan of her mkxl design. peace