What's new

1, 2 Freddy's coming.......to MK9

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
His bio is as follows: "Prince of Fear"
A malevolent spirit of the Dream Realm, Freddy Krueger preys on the souls of the living as they sleep. When Shao Kahn began to steal Earthrealm's souls - souls Freddy considered his own - Freddy battled the emperor in the Dream Realm. But Shao Kahn's will was too strong. He pulled Freddy into the real world, where he was mortal, and defeated him. A badly injured yet determined Freddy fitted both his hands with demonically enhanced razor gloves. Once he has killed Shao Kahn he will find a way back to the Dream Realm, where he will torment Earthrealm's souls for eternity.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Well, I at least appreciate their effort to legitimize his standing in the game with a back story. That's a start.

I really do hate bitching like this, it makes me feel like a spoiled brat. But when I've given 10+ years of my life to MK, as a lot of you have, and they do THIS... it's almost like a slap in the face. Like they are saying "what were you thinking? that we don't like money?"

It still stings, I'm taking it more personally than I should. I will probably still have fun playing around with him but as a competitive game it feels like it dipped into a place it isn't supposed to be.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
Just like Kratos...it will pass.

But its fucking Freddy Kreuger it could have been a LOT worse...

David Gem

Banned
Well, I guess since all characters have to be able to play on both sides of the screen, as well as facing forward or with their back to the screen (I can't believe I'm about to say this), I think the second glove is actually necessary. Gay, yes, necessary, possibly.

Tim Static said:
Just like Kratos...it will pass.

But its fucking Freddy Kreuger it could have been a LOT worse...
^ yea like blinx the cat jajajajaja

but i seem to remember alot of ppl bitching about mk9 before it even came out and now they love it. Point is.....Freddy hasn't even been given a chance to be loved or hated until we get our hands on him.

but i will be mad if they don't put Jason Vorhees in MK9...........freddy vs jason movie was cool!

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Yeah I know I'm not really giving him a chance, but based on what I've already seen I don't have to.

His downward claw is a blatent Prototype ripoff.
His shooting claw is the cheesiest thing I've ever seen.
His teleport is generic flames.
It appears he has half a dozen normals and moves that launch.
And... he has two claws.

It would have been 100x better with Dave Englund as the character model, even though he has been replaced by the Watchmen guy. (that's how popular that guy is, I can't even remember his name)

At least Kratos was a video game character. It's true it could have been worse.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
ZAQ said:
Kratos and Freddy should have never been in the game but at least they fit pretty well and certainly better than stuff from other games.
I think I can leave it that and have peace. I will probably only play this game online with some friends, so there's no worry for me to harp on people using him at tournaments that I won't be at anyway.

I was really hoping for Robo Smoke.

btbb99

Noob
can't wait to see how many people use him august 27th at summerjam, not expected many players to use him but it could be an advantage if he is high tier

Skillz

Noob
freddy is dope, just 2 bad it's not the Robert Englund version and his moves look pretty average. His fatalities on the otherhand....:D

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
Dreamcatcher said:
At least Kratos was a video game character. It's true it could have been worse.
SOUNDES LIKE YOU NEED TO PLAY SOME TERRORDOME!!!

also...

just sayin :p

dubson

Dojo Trainee
Anyone know what time he will be available to download?

Cant wait to add my first DLC character to the arsenal, as I have no care for the other 3 :]

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
PS- added render & vignette to my other thread too. thanks bro.

dubson said:
Anyone know what time he will be available to download?

Cant wait to add my first DLC character to the arsenal, as I have no care for the other 3 :]
What? i thought you werent digging the whole Freddy idea?

Anywho, tomorrow 2-3am PST, 5-6am EST for XBL and about 12 hours later for PSN. 2-3pm PST, 5-6pm EST.

btw Freddy Vignette:

dubson

Dojo Trainee
Fuck it.

I guess they are serious.

But seriously, I like Freddy, and I like Mortal Kombat. If they are gonna seriously put him in this game and have him be tournament legal n shit, I guess I will play him. Dude looks super dirty.

I dont like the idea of it, or the fact that he has two claws. But it is what it is.

dubson

Dojo Trainee
With good reason I believe.

His damage is simply too high. It's also his X-ray scaling it seems but regardless he has numerous combos a 2 year old could perform that easily inflict 50-60%. Once they reduce his overall damage I think he will be a decent to strong character from what I have seen so far. But it is still early yet or unless I have blatantly missed something, I believe he will be a good character not overpowered or broken.