What's new

Zoning: MK9 vs. I:GAU

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
When MK9 first appeared on the scene, the very first character I played as was Styker. Since the game first came out and everyone online used a Ninja character, I was very successful early on with MK9 zoning, but in the middle portion of the game life the first year things change. All the zoners became quickly irrelevant since most of the characters had teleport attacks and other realized this and out played zoning quick. So many of the MK9 cast had teleports, that made zoning hard to do in my opinion. I was not able to successfully use Styker or Sindel not upclose wise but zone wish because of this. I adapted Shang Tsung since then becuase you could zone and turn a good hit into a juggle, plus you can't breaker out of it. Plus, I like the double damage off morph since I learn at least 3 good combos with each character and dirty tricks. He was my best choice

Now with I:GAU, I believe there is only 3 characters that have teleports. So this makes zoning more of a proficient play style now. You have to work your way through the projectile now and I actually love it. The zoners on this game even have Anti-Air move to knock you back across the stage, it's awesome to my eyes and helps them out. As a Shang player, if MK9 had less teleport characters I feel Noob, Sindel, Shang, Reptile would be extremely better then they are now. Plus NRS done a great job still balancing this game enough where rush down and even grapple characters can make it in still and do work.

All I wish NRS could do is make MK10 similar to this style when it comes to zoning, but the problem is the fighters in MK have to many teleports, so will it every be balance between the three styles (zone, grapple, rush)? Sound off if you think this is a good discussion.

I guess 4 teleporting characters when Batgirl releases.

I have no idea about MK9. As far as this game goes, I do appreciate that all play styles have room to breathe at least from what I have noticed.

Few smart people have said it already:
Injustice is giving the MK9 people who suffered because of their low tier mains a chance to shine now in this new game.

Doomsday = Sheeva on steroids.
Deathstroke = Stryker on steroids.
Killer Slide = Sub-Zero on steroids.
And few more, I guess?

Enjoy your stronk characters (as long as it lasts)!

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Injustice is giving the MK9 people who suffered because of their low tier mains a chance to shine now in this new game.

And few more, I guess?

lol , DS and KF play nothing alike SZ and stryker .

btw in IGAU for me the only true zoner is DS .

Reactions: SLy

SLy

Noob

This..

I don't think their intentions was that all..

NRS just applied their playstyles to the characters personality.. The only reason their aren't teleport characters is because not every DC character in the game could teleport lol..

No one in Injustice plays like in MK9. And that was also not the point of my comparision.
Also "lol" as the first word in a sentence? Seriously?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I don't like the Street Fighter movement and blocking with MK style zoning.

That's all.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I honestly don't care much for the block button anymore.. I would like to see how MK would be without it.
I played MK9 for like ten minutes the other day. Shit felt soooo weird and I tried to interact with the bell in the Bell Tower.

Reactions: SLy

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
All I wish NRS could do is make MK10 similar to this style when it comes to zoning, but the problem is the fighters in MK have to many teleports, so will it every be balance between the three styles (zone, grapple, rush)? Sound off if you think this is a good discussion.
This really is a zoning heavy game. The fact that back dashes have invincibility frames and tons of stages have major benefits for being in the korner or easy escapes through interactables. Add to the fact that there is push block as well and you kan see how this benefits them.

Those that kan rush down are the ones that have good bullsh*t like Nightwing.

I really hope they don't implement most of what's in this game into MK9. This game is heavily imbalanced. Even with low tier characters in MK you kould do well. In this game, even hard to use mid tier characters like Green Arrow just get destroyed by easy to use characters like Superman.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Raven don't play nothin' like Ermac.
They work similarly in terms of basic Zoning. Both of them are also extremely good at wiff punishing...

Both of them were also my orignal mains in both games that I ended up dropping. lol.

davidovitch

In Europe!
It seems very important to mention that the characters can also stand (much) further away from each other at fullscreen than they can in MK9. I personally prefer the MK9 range because the character models are more prominent (larger) on screen and they look awesome. It also makes it slightly easier to recognize the attacks (overheads and lows) your opponent does. And obviously also makes zoning a less powerful.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX

And few more, I guess?

This is the reason I love this game. I can also say CatWoman is Baraka on steriods. High hopes for MK10, please keep up the good work.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Zoning is the way to go in this game. I hate to say it, but it's true. Interactables, push blocking, clashes putting both characters right back to midscreen at full screen distance from each other, being unable to cancel dashes with block... yeah zoning in this game is way stronger than it was in MK9. I'm buying stock in Kleenex and Vaseline because m2dave is probably having the time of his life

(inb4 someone reads this as "zoning is OP and needs to be nerfed" and the shitstorm starts :coffee:)

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I really hope they don't implement most of what's in this game into MK9. This game is heavily imbalanced. Even with low tier characters in MK you kould do well. In this game, even hard to use mid tier characters like Green Arrow just get destroyed by easy to use characters like Superman.
Not play online too much last week due to events, so I'm not entitle to say much about how Supes plays online. Never fought him online, but so far I heard it's "lazer tag" war. And yes, low-tiers was still usable in MK, I use low-tier all the time because I don't believe in tier list only skills.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Zoning is the way to go in this game. I hate to say it, but it's true. Interactables, push blocking, clashes putting both characters right back to midscreen at full screen distance from each other, being unable to cancel dashes with block... yeah zoning in this game is way stronger than it was in MK9. I'm buying stock in Kleenex and Vaseline because m2dave is probably having the time of his life

(inb4 someone reads this as "zoning is OP and needs to be nerfed" and the shitstorm starts :coffee:)
If zoning is so powerful in this game, why are Aquaman, Batman, Black Adam, Nightwing, and some others top tier?

Besides, the game needs push back on block. Without push back, some characters like Nightwing would have block infinite combos in the corner.

The only people who constantly complain about zoning in Injustice are 1) online scrubs, 2) Cage players and 3) Smoke players. Everyone else has already adjusted to the game's engine.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
If zoning is so powerful in this game, why are Aquaman, Batman, Black Adam, Nightwing, and some others top tier?

Besides, the game needs push back on block. Without push back, some characters like Nightwing would have block infinite combos in the corner.

The only people who constantly complain about zoning in Injustice are 1) online scrubs, 2) Cage players and 3) Smoke players. Everyone else has already adjusted to the game's engine.
Never said it was overly powerful. Just said that it's waaay more viable than in MK9, and even you can't deny that. Also wasn't complaining about zoning either, as I had hinted at in my last sentence :)

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

Aquaman outzones quite a few characters, I'm actually not sure how good he really is though.. Batman has his trait and he kan zone, plus he has one of the best back dashes in the game. Black Adam has a dive kick and he kan zone out characters; his back dash is also insane. Nightwing kan use his staff to zone and force others to kome in...

Those that kan't zone need to be able to kounter zone.

Push back is good.

I have Nightwing now so I kan kounter zone, but I'm just kalling it like I see it.