What's new

Would you prefer MK10 w/o a Block Button?

Should the Block Button stay?

• Yes.

Votes: 127 73.0%
  • No, MK10 should be back to block

Votes: 48 27.6%

• Total voters
I would prefer it without a block button and also the ability to block while in the air. Are there actually other 2D fighters, where you can't block, while being in the air, or are MK and Injustice the only ones?

A logical approach to airblocking would be that it's possible, but you get pushed away, if you block while in the air. In theory rushdown characters would not be able to jump in unpunished on zoners, since they would get pushed away, while blocking in the air - so they would have to dash, block, dash to get in effectivly.
Zoners would have to be careful, when blocking in the air as well, since they would get pushed to the corner, something they probably don't want.
In that sense it would be balanced, yet still good ... blocking while being air'd ... damn, MK10 needs it.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
I would prefer it without a block button and also the ability to block while in the air. Are there actually other 2D fighters, where you can't block, while being in the air, or are MK and Injustice the only ones?

A logical approach to airblocking would be that it's possible, but you get pushed away, if you block while in the air. In theory rushdown characters would not be able to jump in unpunished on zoners, since they would get pushed away, while blocking in the air - so they would have to dash, block, dash to get in effectivly.
Zoners would have to be careful, when blocking in the air as well, since they would get pushed to the corner, something they probably don't want.
In that sense it would be balanced, yet still good ... blocking while being air'd ... damn, MK10 needs it.
You can't airblock in: Sf4, SfxT, or Kof(not sure on this one honestly), and many other fighting games.

FuzzySlipperz

IN TRAINING
i should like to say no to the block button ... i like the thought of crossing up being added to the depth of a game...also for those saying the game would be too fast to not have a block button......does anyone here play marvel... that game is way faster and has alot more crazy stuff to black and back to block works fine

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
NRS should not change MK to back to block just so it becomes more like the "norm" of fighting games. The block button has been there since day one and, as I said, is a staple of the MK franchise. MK is no better or worse without a block button, it's just different and it shouldn't take away such a (good) key element just to possibly draw more FG players in.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?

The only game I played where you can air-block is SF Alpha 3. Feels weird, though. I'd rather see the return of air kombat in MK rather than air block.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Anyone that is scared about Teleports in a BTB game, they could just use the same blocking as Injustice and make most teleports mids, that way you can crouch block them and you can't be crossed up.

Kabal will be a shell of himself in MK 10, and it will be a long time coming. He has been stupid since 1995. I think we will all be surprised by the changes we see with MK 10.
I don't expect him to even be in MK10, since he's fucking dead. Oh I'm sure those characters will get rezzed eventually, but not for a game or two.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Imagine fighting Kabal without a block button... yeah no Thanks.

Dash blocking for the win.
Alot of his dash cancels in turn wouldn't be humanly possible without a block button however.

I'm still in favor of a dedicated block button, but not because of IAFBs, well, unless they make Liu Kang a carbon of his MK2 self. Seems people only get irked about Kabals because it's relatively easy.

NariTuba

disMember
I like the block button, I also like block dashing and being able to cancel dash with normals.

MK doesnt lack depth. If it did we could discuss several ways to add depth to the game, one of which could be back to block. But it doesnt, so I dont see a point for that change.

One thing I would take away from IGAU to possibly consider for the next MK would be each character having their own jump and air normals.

NariTuba

disMember
Alot of his dash cancels in turn wouldn't be humanly possible without a block button however.
Dont mean to bicker but that's not true. Kabals ND just HAPPENS to be cancellable with b+blk, if you were to change that to b+4 or hold 4, ff (like other cancels in the game) the result would be the same. Its not the dedicated block button that conceptually allows the NDCs to happen, it just happens to be mapped that way.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Dont mean to bicker but that's not true. Kabals ND just HAPPENS to be cancellable with b+blk, if you were to change that to b+4 or hold 4, ff (like other cancels in the game) the result would be the same. Its not the dedicated block button that conceptually allows the NDCs to happen, it just happens to be mapped that way.
I guess it's debatable, I just don't see it being able to be implemented as ergonomically friendly with Injustice block mechanics, which is why I said humanly.

I was trying to point out that we've had to put up with worse zoning in other games without dash blocking though. But because the top tiers in MK2 had at least one bad matchup between themselves and only a handful of MK2 players could do Liu's air fireballs or Jax's MGP as instantly as possible given there was very little negative edge, people often take that on board as "oh, there's no way they could've been as fucked up as Kabal then."

LBSH, Kabal would've got his ass handed to him in MK2.

SLy

Noob
People say MK will Lack depth without the BTB.. Not True at all. The only extra depth it added is the ability to crossover. Sure NRS can come up with some new ways to make things more indepth where blocking can be challenging at times..Buff the mixup potential or something.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I guess it's debatable, I just don't see it being able to be implemented as ergonomically friendly with Injustice block mechanics, which is why I said humanly.

I was trying to point out that we've had to put up with worse zoning in other games without dash blocking though. But because the top tiers in MK2 had at least one bad matchup between themselves and only a handful of MK2 players could do Liu's air fireballs or Jax's MGP as instantly as possible given there was very little negative edge, people often take that on board as "oh, there's no way they could've been as fucked up as Kabal then."

LBSH, Kabal would've got his ass handed to him in MK2.
Armor, Flash parry armor GG's.

schnitzel_on_fire

Maining the Roster
they should keep back to block imo. i'm not going over every aspect of this because much has been said already, but one thing i haven't seen anywhere reading peoples'stuff is this:

in mk9, the attacker already has an advantage because of how much chip blocked normals deal and how much meter they build. add to that the highly punishable canonball-animations of baited/blocked wake-ups. introducing cross-ups on wake-up in my opinion gives an even greater advantage to the player on the offensive.

of course, all the characteristics above could be altered, but seriously, do we want street fighter with mk characters? i for one don't (although i think SF is awesome).

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
LOL... maybe they should just replace block with crossing your arms on the kinect... (i'm kidding lol... You'd probably slap your face with the controller every few seconds). There is a validity about the block button being a core part of how MK games are played for 2 reasons. 1) it's always been there from first to last game, even though other things have changed. 2) Other games that i know of, don't use this method so it's a unique trait (that i'm aware of anyways). It's a different style of play. 3) Because it would totally screw up teleports, also a mostly unique thing about MK characters vs other games. Scorpion would be blocked simply because you were walking forwards, Smoke would be next to unblockable (you'd have to hold back, then forward in a period of about 100 milliseconds). Basically accidental blocks all over the place, and very hard to block some moves.

I'm not sure what MK10 will bring, but i'm hoping it will be simulated muscles, organs and bones that break and damage according to what hits you, and cinematic kung-fu style blocking that blocks uniquely to what your oppenent is trying to hit you with (eg. lifting up knee to block a kick, deflecting punches with your arms etc...). Mostly all for cinematic martial arts movie effect. I'd love to see it go back to it's own chinese style roots. Maybe make Lo Pan or IP Man downloadable characters :) Maybe even a bonus mini 'real damage' mode where your limbs become incapacitated etc... as you go along, taking damage as a real human would.

kronspik

Noob
I'd want back-to-block so I don't have brain farts trying to switch from MK to other fighters. On the other hand, ambiguous crossups are the stupidest design concept ever and I hate them all. I'm neutral.