What's new

Would you be upset if NRS's next game was MKSM2 Instead of MKX?

What would you rather see?

• Mortal Kombat X/II/10

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks 2

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
We all know NRS has to make a new MK game in the next two years, so they can cross promote it with the upcoming MK movie by Kevin w/e. However, what if instead of X, they finally make the sequel to Shaolin Monks? It's something Boon seems very interested in, he has talked about it on twitter several times, and always responding to fans who liked the game.

Lets be honest here, Shaolin Monks was the best thing to happen to the franchise since The Immortals, and it is begging for a sequel.

However, if it happened, that means we would have to wait 6 years for MKX, SM2 > INJ 2 > MKX.
That's 4 more years of everyone's favorite jumptatstic fighting game, and then 2 years of it's sequel until we will finally see a proper next gen MK fighting game.

I'm sure tons of casual MK fans wouldn't mind at all, but what about you lot? This is a site built around competitive fighting games after all, could you put your love of fighting games aside for a bit to explore your love of all thinks Mortal Kombat?

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I would be very upset.

I tried to play injustice at launch but it never stuck to me. I went back to mk9 after maybe 3 months of playing injustice non-stop. Now all I want is MK10. MK10 first, then go ahead on the SM sequel. That way I will always have my favorite fighter ready to go once I've depleted an adventure game of it's content.

Edit: Injustice doesn't deserve a sequel IMO. They had their fun with DC being available and all. Leave that to Rocksteady.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
sm was fun for 5 minites mashing with a friend until i realised i can beat the fame with throw.

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
I'm Sorry While MK9 was the best MK Fighting game Shaolin Monks may be THE best Co-op Brawler of all time.

Louisiana Shark

Louie Shark
No. I always thought the next MK was going to be a new Shaolin Monks. Injustice just came out 5-6 months ago, and they're moving on to something else now. I see NRS working on a MKSM2 than a new fighter. That may be the MK announcement.

Dude, this is like saying would you rather win the lottery or win a plush toy at the county fair

Shaolin Monks is, was, and will forever be the best MK game they've made yet. Multalities were hype, the hidden boss fights were hype, having multiple fatalities for the main characters was dope, CO-OP MODE IS SO SICK WHEN YOU GET COMBOS GOING WITH EACH OTHER, and it even had a playable ROM of MK2 if you did all of Smoke's secret missions!

Hell, even the exploration was sick. Being able to actually walk around in places like the Living Forest was really neat.

zaf

professor
if they released shaolin monks 2, then i would hope for a really good vs mode.
the vs mode was awesome in shaolin monks 1. however it wasn't that competitive tournament wise.
if they were able to make a vs mode that could survive in tournaments then that would be cool.

i would prefer mkx over mksm2 only because i would want to compete in a mk game

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Could be they're already working on both. WB has resources, and NRS is proving themselves a valuable branch. What would you do with your resources but try and grow your company and expand your IPs?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Shaolin Monks was a fun experiment.. but Mortal Kombat is a fighting game. I think MK has gone through enough experimentation. I want MK to solidify and start becoming more consistent. NRS struck gold with MK9's formula, now all they have to do is refine it and improve on it.

Do any of you know what over-saturation is? You should, because it's what happened to MK in the late 90's and early 2000. Tons of these lame spin-offs were produced, and it came from video games, TV shows, 2 theatrical movies, that godawful Journey Begins nightmare, live performances, and a damned On Ice special probably happened somewhere. People got tired of all that nonsense.

I fear the same thing is dangerously close to happening AGAIN. Now we have the web series and a planned theatrical reboot with a tie-in game releasing at the same time. Now you guys what to bring back a game from MK's era when, while decent, started to go downhill (arguably way past that point already)? WHY?

As I said, Shaolin Monks was a decent attempt at something different. However it comes from a dark, dark time in MK's history when it almost fucking died off completely. LEAVE IT ALONE. DOES NOBODY ELSE SEE THE PATTERN?! I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS! I JUST WANT MK TO BE A FIGHTING GAME AAAAAGGHHGHHJGl;;;

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
why not both? after playing Batman Arkham, i think WB should let Rocksteady make MKSM2 or MK Fire & Ice with Boon's/NRS's help, so NRS can have time to make MK10.

I don't want Rocksteady anywhere near the IP.

They make interesting Batman games, but outside of the novelty of being Batman, I don't find the those games to be all that fun or engaging. They seem to value production values and polish over actual quality gameplay.

That may be an unpopular opinion though, lots of people seem to like those games.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I don't want Rocksteady anywhere near the IP.

They make interesting Batman games, but outside of the novelty of being Batman, I don't find the those games to be all that fun or engaging. They seem to value production values and polish over actual quality gameplay.

That may be an unpopular opinion though, lots of people seem to like those games.
Batman Arkham games have direction atks (or something like that, i don't know what it's called lol) like MKSM, they also have complicate maps like MKSM, but overall, BA series and MKSM are very different, that's why i want Boon and NRS to help them make MKSM2.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Batman Arkham games have direction atks (or something like that, i don't know what it's called lol) like MKSM, they also have complicate maps like MKSM, but overall, BA series and MKSM are very different, that's why i want Boon and NRS to help them make MKSM2.

I just don't think Rocksteady could make a good combat system.
The Batman games have very flash and fluid looking combat, but It's basically a lot like Assassins Creed combat, and I just never felt truly in control of my character, it always felt more like I was playing Guitar Hero then an actual action game. If that makes any sense, everything was very contextual.

To be honest though, I don't even know if NRS has what it takes to make a sequel to SM, they weren't the ones that even made the first one, it was those dudes who made Wu Tang Shaolin Style, and those shitty Backyard Wrestling games. A handful of them seem to work at NRS now, but most don't, the main combat designer now works at Sony making God of War, and others were making wrestling games for THQ.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I just don't think Rocksteady could make a good combat system.
The Batman games have very flash and fluid looking combat, but It's basically a lot like Assassins Creed combat, and I just never felt truly in control of my character, it always felt more like I was playing Guitar Hero then an actual action game. If that makes any sense, everything was very contextual.

To be honest though, I don't even know if NRS has what it takes to make a sequel to SM, they weren't the ones that even made the first one, it was those dudes who made Wu Tang Shaolin Style, and those shitty Backyard Wrestling games. A handful of them seem to work at NRS now, but most don't, the main combat designer now works at Sony making God of War, and others were making wrestling games for THQ.
i still want another MKSM game, cuz i can't play a 2D FG with block button anytime soon lol, and i want to spend more time for Injustice. But if they can't make a good game like MKSM, i'd rather have MK10. Remember MKSF? that game sucks.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I would love another mk adventure game but then all you tournament people would cry that its not a fighting game. Adventure game is good as it elaborates on story which is what mk is about. You can say story is in the bio bro. But that was the 90's. Adventure game would give nrs more time to develop a fully working fighting game. Problem is people want everything now then cry that it's half done

Upset? I will be so frustrated I'm gonna burn my ps3. Adventure games lasts for 1 week. You beat the game, it's over. And I want to play with other people not the CPU.

And even if this happens (hope not) why SM2? Haven't we seen enough of Liu Kang and Kung lao? MK has other characters too.