What's new

Would you agree that Superman is ranked 66th in the terms of "power" in the DC Universe?

Elder God

Power!
No limits, exaggeration, divine, extradimensional character is meh, crazy world hqs make money, keep aliens and planets like japoneses mangas, God, universe, Lucifer, Dc and Marvel,oh no, is really scary, Your favorite character is not nothing, its boring.

No limits, exaggeration, divine, extradimensional character is meh, crazy world hqs make money, keep aliens and planets like japoneses mangas, God, universe, Lucifer, Dc and Marvel,oh no, is really scary, Your favorite character is not nothing, its boring.
........What?

Maxter

Noob
it's hard to rate him when you have Superman Prime. If it's just modern day DCU than yeah, but Superman throughout his lifetime is only outranked by The Presence.
Superman Prime* is only outranked by The Presence.

Wrong Champ =), Superman Prime is fifth most powerful one according to this Comic book Rat's Facts. On CD Jr's List the Great Evil beast wasn't mentioned who is an entity outside of the Presence creation, Also the 2 brothers demiurgos and Lucifer are on top of SUpes Prime, this video give you enough details on why these beings are so powerful o_0

Reedoms

Noob
I knew DC was gay, but to go so far as to implement christianity into the lore... come the fuck on...

DC sucks
What, you think everyone in DC is a godless heathen? Heaven and Hell exist in there and have stories to be told. Lucifer is probably one of the best Vertigo titles to ever be published. I mean shit, next to Hellblazer, it's the definitive Vertigo story.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Wrong Champ =), Superman Prime is fifth most powerful one according to this Comic book Rat's Facts. On CD Jr's List the Great Evil beast wasn't mentioned who is an entity outside of the Presence creation, Also the 2 brothers demiurgos and Lucifer are on top of SUpes Prime, this video give you enough details on why these beings are so powerful o_0

Dude..it specifically says in the video that Superman Prime is the second most powerful entity in the DCU next to the Presence....

Zmoke

= zσмвιє ѕмσкє, тнє cυяяєηт ѕтαтυѕ σƒ тσм νявα∂αѕѕ
Question! Specifically to the Detective Comics Universe lore fans. If the Presence, the most powerful character there is, is omnipotent i.e. can potentially do just anything;

Can the Presence perform this series of tasks successfully wherein he first has to decide that A) he will never be able to shit in his pants again and after that B) he has to shit in his pants? If not - he is not omnipotent after all. If yes - explain how.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I knew DC was gay, but to go so far as to implement christianity into the lore... come the fuck on...

DC sucks
I'm not religious by any means, but I really like the Christian elements. They don't push any sort of messages with it, it's just part of the world. Check out Hellblazer and you'll see how it works.

I'll give you that, sort of. But Lucifer does have a real weakness that Superman Prime doesn't.

I *thought* my DC lore knowledge was relatively good for someone who isn't a *complete* obsessed fanboy...but if this guy is correct I've definately had a bunch of misconceptions. For example, I always thought The Specter was number 2 after the big guy...Lucifer is surprising. I'm also surprised that the Anti-Monitor is number 10...figured he'd be top five, and mr. Mxyzsptlk being higher then him is kind of shocking.

If you'd asked me for a number for Superman's power ranking I probably would have put him somewhere in the 20's or 30's...but there's a bunch of characters in the list I either didn't know about or I'd completely forgoten.

EDIT: wait, swamp thing is higher than Supes?!?! I've never really read swampthing comics and I mostly remember him back when he was a saturday morning cartoon....but I didn't realize he was such a heavy hitter...

Reedoms

Noob
Question! Specifically to the Detective Comics Universe lore fans. If the Presence, the most powerful character there is, is omnipotent i.e. can potentially do just anything;

Can the Presence perform this series of tasks successfully wherein he first has to decide that A) he will never be able to shit in his pants again and after that B) he has to shit in his pants? If not - he is not omnipotent after all. If yes - explain how.
If he's sitting on his throne, he can do whatever the fuck he wants. He can shit chocolate cacti and have it taste like a steak.

Zmoke

If he's sitting on his throne, he can do whatever the fuck he wants. He can shit chocolate cacti and have it taste like a steak.
But if he just decided, sitting on his throne, that he is no longer ever able to shit in his pants? How can he after that fulfill this above mentioned task to the end where he has yet to shit e.g. chocolate cacti in his pants? After deciding not to.

Reedoms

Noob
How can he after that fulfill this above mentioned task to the end where he has yet to shit e.g. chocolate cacti in his pants? After deciding not to.
Because for all intents and purposes, The Presence is God. He doesn't gotta explain shit, he just does it.

Zmoke

Because for all intents and purposes, The Presence is God. He doesn't gotta explain shit, he just does it.
By performing the latter part, he has failed at the former part. If he stops the task after the first part, the latter part leaves undone and the task has failed. The Presence's explanation in this task is not required.

the first three are pretty corny! i really didn't know god, satanas and st michael were part of the dc universe! i'll go to church to futher my knowledge of these guys! lol

By performing the latter part, he has failed at the former part. If he stops the task after the first part, the latter part leaves undone and the task has failed. The Presence's explanation in this task is not required.

Speaking as an Atheist: the omnipotence paradox is a fun thing to think about....but the important thing to remember is that a hypothetical deity like the presence is a paradox in and of itself. Arguing the logic of it can be fun, but by definition it exists outside logic.

Can the presence create a rock so big that he can't lift it? Yes he can. Is that completely illogical and impossible to do with regard to any kind of natural law in the universe. Yuppers. Guess what though: he's God bitch, he can do whatever the hell he wants even if he can't do it at the exact same time. He's not bound by the rules of logic, so trying to make sense of him is pointless because *we are*.

As an analogy: consider the game of Tic Tac Toe. Rules of the game are simple: nine spaces, only x's and o's, three in a row wins the game. That's it.
Well, that system is arbitrary to me. I can put x's and o's in every square and declare myself the winner. I can draw a big ole penis in the lines and then declare myself the winner. I just broke the entire system that was setup, but guess what, I only have to adhere to those rules if I want to.
A hypothetical deity like the presence is the same way. He can do whatever he wants, and he'll laugh at you pointing out how he's contradicting the logic of the universe because it would basically be something he scribbled out on whatever the equivalent of a lunch napkin is to him.

trufenix

bye felicia
Bear in mind, most prominent vertigo characters were never meant to be measured in the same vein as "traditional" super heroes and villains.

It's like comparing apples to nouns

Zmoke

Speaking as an Atheist: the omnipotence paradox is a fun thing to think about....but the important thing to remember is that a hypothetical deity like the presence is a paradox in and of itself. Arguing the logic of it can be fun, but by definition it exists outside logic.

Can the presence create a rock so big that he can't lift it? Yes he can. Is that completely illogical and impossible to do with regard to any kind of natural law in the universe. Yuppers. Guess what though: he's God bitch, he can do whatever the hell he wants even if he can't do it at the exact same time. He's not bound by the rules of logic, so trying to make sense of him is pointless because *we are*.

As an analogy: consider the game of Tic Tac Toe. Rules of the game are simple: nine spaces, only x's and o's, three in a row wins the game. That's it.
Well, that system is arbitrary to me. I can put x's and o's in every square and declare myself the winner. I can draw a big ole penis in the lines and then declare myself the winner. I just broke the entire system that was setup, but guess what, I only have to adhere to those rules if I want to.
A hypothetical deity like the presence is the same way. He can do whatever he wants, and he'll laugh at you pointing out how he's contradicting the logic of the universe because it would basically be something he scribbled out on whatever the equivalent of a lunch napkin is to him.
I would dare to say that the Presence can, logically and while being an omnipotent, create a rock so big that he can't lift it - that's why I didn't bring forth this specific, classic version of the question. See, nowhere it is stated that an omnipotent is an omnipotent forever, only in the presence (no pun here) and therefore he can strip his omnipotent powers (while being "omnipotent" for the last time) and not be able lift it after that, logically.

Now you make the Presence sound more like a dictator that can disregard all rules and declare oneself a winner. He might say he did it and the DCU characters can even believe it but still he actually didn't succeed at the mission impossible.

Can the Presence succeed at the specific task with real logic, as we perceive it? If not - he's not an omnipotent. If yes - explain.