What's new

Worst year for Mortal Kombat?

krsx

Noob
I don't think I've ever seen this thread before, so I thought I'd make it.

Just curious as to what everyone thinks was the year at which MK reached it's peak?

1992 when MK1 first came out, was fresh, new and ultra violent?

1993 when the MK mania was probably at it's pinnacle, with the upgraded MKII, more gore, and a buzz of publicity, negative and positive, making crowds flock to the arcades.

Maybe 1996 when MKT and UMK3 came out for the home systems, with Defenders of the Realm on tv for the younger fans?

1997, with MK4 released in arcades, MKA in theaters and MKM:SZ coming to the PSX and N64?

1998/1999 with all the previous games available in arcades or at home, and MKG on dreamcast, with Conquest on the telly?

Or maybe 2002 when MKDA revived the franchise?

What about 2005, with MKD not long released and playable online, with a surprisingly good MKSM an unexpected surprise, and MKA - again online, just around the corner, and news that the 3rd MK movie may in fact be more than just a rumor?

Personally, I have to go with 1995, where MK madness had built with the first two games and the series was still seen as pretty cool before the popularity started to wane and the novelty wore off with over-saturation. MK3 upped the gameplay and UMK3 took it to new, unparalleled heights, and the first MK movie, which I still feel is pretty decent, was released to box office success.

Just thought some old nostalgic reminiscing wouldn't hurt!

You forgot 07/08

UMK3 on XBLA

MKII on PSN

and the other Mk coming out soon. A rebirth the the old 2D fighters and bringing so many fans together in a new way.

I'd Still go with 93, even though I was only 2 years old at the time, I can only imagine.

abc ur dead0 said:
You forgot 07/08

UMK3 on XBLA

MKII on PSN

and the other Mk coming out soon. A rebirth the the old 2D fighters and bringing so many fans together in a new way.

I'd Still go with 93, even though I was only 2 years old at the time, I can only imagine.
I agree with abc

Probably 1993. Being only 1 year old, I actually was the youngest kid in line to play MK2. They were all like, "Wow this kid might need a chair."

When MK II came out it was a hit. People lining up just to take a glimpse of it. It was the most popular game(at the time) Not only for the arcades, but for the Home ports as well.

It died for a lot of MK fans when MK3 came out. The combo system was just too difficult. It was alot different from Mk2 and alot of fans didn't like it. Also the add of the run button was a killer coming from MK2. UMK3 did a little better, but I'm gonna go with MK2 on this one.

Mortal Kombat lived with MK2 and Mortal Kombat died with MK2.

What you say about the combo system being too difficult for previous fans is BS. Maybe its the fact that they took out everything fucking cool about MK and gave you people like Stryker, Kabal, fucking No names that have no appeal at all. I mean look at fucking Kabal he's was fucking thought up over a midnight snack. Maybe its because the graphics and animation took a big step down. Maybe its because the game became more or less, wanking?

lol i pretty much grew up with mortal kombat, im just not a fan of the 3d ones.

i remember when MKII came out for the genesis i had my dad buy it for me because i was in like 2nd-3rd grade.. my mom didn't like that too much.. but then she got used to it and got me UMK3 for genesis on christmas one year haha XD

so 93, it just kinda lost its bang after that.. i play umk3 on xbla all the time and its great.. but nothing comparable to kicking your friends ass at the brand new MKII and doing the deadly lift with Baraka :D

The combos were too difficult at the time. Most of the people who played MK1, and 2 weren't gamers and shit. Comming from on button moves, to memorizing difficult combos is what made alot of fans dislike it. Today no the combos aren't hard... at all. But back in the early 90's it was. I like MK3 and UMK3 way more but ALOT of the fans quit playing MK after 2

TheLord Phoenix UMK3 said:
The combos were too difficult at the time. Most of the people who played MK1, and 2 weren't gamers and shit. Comming from on button moves, to memorizing difficult combos is what made alot of fans dislike it. Today no the combos aren't hard... at all. But back in the early 90's it was. I like MK3 and UMK3 way more but ALOT of the fans quit playing MK after 2
MK1 and MK2 were the only MKs that seriously awed fans. The reason why they quit playing MK was because of the tremendous failure of MK3, but the success of UMK3, then the shallow MK4.

I wondered why I never payed any attention to MK4 when it came out...I thought it was because Virtua Fighter 3 came out the same time...so I had a choice and compared the two...
but i'm gonna go with the year 1993 when MKII came out. It gave everyone something different to play everywhere instead of the same tired-ass games found everywhere else (Street Fighter II, Racing games, pac-man, etc.). I was glad every field trip I had to go to that bowling alley, I went, because it had MKII, I had something to do when I got tired of bowling :)

krsx

Noob
Yeah, I can imagine the hype around MK in 1993, must've been quite a scene in arcades - especially if you were good.

I was in England back then, and I don't think the arcades were quite the same, but I do remember there was a major buzz around the first two games. The MKII ad with Shao Kahn smashing through trees, Baraka and Kitana fighting (in a sewer? storm drain?) etc. was filmed in good ol' Blighty too.

So, since everyone is pretty much unanimous that 1993 was MK's apex, just thought I'd switch up the thread a little bit and ask what everyone thinks was the worst year and why?

1997. MK4 was one of the biggest bombs in arcades and never reached the height of MK1-UMK3. (also counting MKT if you're a home game freak) I never got into MK4 when I first played it. I thought it looked great during the MK4 road tour but then... boom. Dead. The second MK movie was a disaster, and I couldn't even watch it all the way. Then Mythologies was horrible, and had no replay value. I can't even compare it to Shaolin Monks.

SABER Linkdude said:
1997. MK4 was one of the biggest bombs in arcades and never reached the height of MK1-UMK3. (also counting MKT if you're a home game freak) I never got into MK4 when I first played it. I thought it looked great during the MK4 road tour but then... boom. Dead. The second MK movie was a disaster, and I couldn't even watch it all the way. Then Mythologies was horrible, and had no replay value. I can't even compare it to Shaolin Monks.
this mk4 was blasphmeous

Kazlaz

Noob
mk4 was the shit when i was little thats al i played for like 3 years

but thats when it died and is never comming back : ( to many stupid ass ppl making the games

there just appealing to the ppl that just buyt the game not the serious ppl

When it comes to Midway in general, i'll say 1998.
The Grid was the last sight of MK characters in an arcade as to midway itself. It was because of the loss of midway arcades, i had been force to play ALOT of 3D games that were not VF, or stay home and play the stuff I had already, but I liked going places.
As for Mortal Kombat I'll say 1997. can't say that everyone had as much interest in MK4 as much as they did in MKII or UMK3, but i know that i never had any competition in that game at all because everyone preferred to challenge me in MKII than MK4, because the system wasn't "complicated" and fatalities weren't so "difficult" to input in those games as it was in MK4 (these are the words of random people i've met).
I wish I was back in 1993...I would love to go to Chucky Cheezes again (OMG did I say that?!) in that time and era just to play MK with a huge crowd in person. good times.

I remember what you said about Chucky Cheezes a long time ago when I was a newb to this site, abc ur dead0. You are right, that place wasn't pussied out back then because it had violent games. Lots of MK even for that place! And I just began missing those good times.

Kazlaz

Noob
i saw a mk2 machine and i was like holy fuck then i go up to it and it was self made lol the button configuration was wtf i dont know it sorta looked like a circle lol

these ppl didnt not know what they where doing

then i saw a neo geo thing across from it and im like hell yea

i play that then i see street fighter champion edition then im like even more hell yea

then i notice a pinball machine then im like ZOMFGOMFGOMFGZOMFGWOZORSZZZZZZ FUCK YEA and i play that bitch till i die