What's new

With meter tier list discussion

Robotic

Gentleman.
Hey guys, so Sektor Cyrax and I were discussing in another thread ("A question to Sektor Players"), what happens to the current tier list when the character has meter?

...mind you, this is just for kicks...

Anyway, We both believe Sektor goes from "not to shabby" to "PLEASE GOD SAVE ME FROM THIS ROBOT!" as soon as he has meter. We also tend to agree that Ermac's place doesn't change drastically as his enhanced moves don't really change the playing field for him too much.

So my question to all, with 1 bar, 2 or full meter, who turns into a beast, who is unaffected, and who ends up at the bottom? Does it change the current tier list at all when taking this into consideration?

- Kombatants who are mid tier without meter but excellent with meter - [/SIZE]

Sektor - Homing missle pressure is superb, and Extu is a great combo (semi) ender and is also used to bait punishes efficiently. Exfrontmissle is a little underrated IMO you can use it in your zoning if the opponent is just ducking your missles (it will hit non-block crouchers). But mostly i wouldn't suggest using the exfrontmissle. Sektors BnB goes from 36% to 48% with 1 bar of meter.

Quan-Chi -His ex sky drop kick gives you a whopping 17%(?) damage and hit stun. His exlight bursts cover all ranges and are unblockable. His xray can also be combo'd easily. His exskeletol boost gives you a health boost and damage boost that will last as long as the combo you are performing if you can get a combo right after.

Jade - Her exflash is one of the best ex moves in the game as it allows you to blow through any opponents combo and start your own combo. Her exboomarangs are great for resets and catching the opponent off gaurd. Those 2 options are enough to put jade in a higher tier as she is pretty underrated.

- Kombatants who are great and and benefit alot with meter -

Reptile - Is already an S tier character without meter but with meter his pressure is insane with exelbowdash and exslowforceball as it forces the opponent to turtle. Exspit is underrated IMO as it is similar to Sektors Anti-Air flame thrower and can punish jump-ins. Reptiles 40%+ combos all need at least 1 meter (might be wrong) where as his regular no meter combos dish out about 30%.

Cyrax - Due to his recent bomb trap being taken out most of his BnBs require at least one meter if im not mistaken. His bombs become flying bombs. Awesome. He definetely needs those to win matches consistently.

Noob Saibot - His keep away game is insane due to a great Anti-Air (shadow upknee) and even better is when noob has meter and traps you in the corner its game over. Exshadow upknee is all i have to say about that.

Nightwolf
- Nightwolf's (wolves?) exshoulder is great for throwing the opponent off of their (punish a reg. shoulder) game but his ex version can still be punished (just harder to time). His exaxe is a great juggle in mid combos as it extends the juggle. Exlightning is also a great pop up but used at close ranges it can be very punishable. Exarrow is also a great anti-air for Nightwolf from a distance and can be worth the meter if used properly. Nightwolfs meter needs to be used wisely though as most of his Exmoves are punishable.

Raiden - Raidens exlightningball is great at along range as most opponents dont expect the second hit. His exteleport is great for opponents that think they have predicted his regular teleports. If im not mistaken his exsuperman has one of the fastest start-up times and is a great wake up.

- Kombatants who are great but dont need meter -

Kung Lao - Only thing i can see being usefull of meter to Kung is an xray combo or maybe ex ground hat? other then that he can own without meter. (exhatloop removed btw)

Sub Zero - Is beastly without meter and should only use it on his X-ray combos imo unless your opponent is a jumper, then the exiceball would come in handy but even without sub is S tier.

Ermac - Is beastly without meter and his meter only adds a few % to his combos. Not worth it unless your uses the exlift which grants a little more damage in a combo then expush. He should use his meter for X-ray (same as subby) imo.

Kabal - Kabal is a beastly player also and doesn't rely on meter to pressure you and has very effective tools already that are just more damaging when they are the ex version. His x-ray isn't that safe either as it can easily be poked out of.

Smoke - Smokes exsmokebomb and exsmokecloud are pretty much useless. Only use for his meter that i see smoke players use are Exteleport (which is powerful withoutex) and exshake which is a straight up parry and is great when used after several shakes. Smoke doesn't need meter to win a match though, he can just shut down your zoning and next thing you know your eating a huge combo.

J. Cage - Johnny doesn't rely on meter at all unless he is being zoned out. He can use his exkick for a knockdown and to swap damage but the distance still doesn't close. Johnny's supreme rushdown ability allows him to gain meter (that he doesnt need lol) off of chip damage from frame traps to eventually trick you into his x-ray parry.

- Kombatants who could be better with meter but still suffer -

Cyber Sub Zero - This was a hard one for me to decide. His exbomb/exiceball is a garaunteed trap but it costs 2 meters which is too much just for a freeze. His exteleport can only be used upclose and cant be combod into. His only good use of meter is his ex dive kicks which are 18% damage and cant be link after j.k and as a combo ender.

Scorpion - With his moves being so risky at time scorpion has to rely on good meter usage to ensure an easy win. His exspear is severely underrated as it can blow through projectiles but with a scorpion player having a hard time zoning it can be hard to build meter at times and get stuck in risky situations. His exflame is still poorly explored IMO and should be utilized more as it can prevent some wake up attacks and can end some combos. Scorpion can use these safe ex moves though and bait a punish to counter punish which is a bonus but still doesn't benefit him that much.

Baraka - Barakas ex version of his moves don't change dramatically as they just hurt the opponent a little bit more. Baraka being a less damaging and comboing character needs all the damage he can get so using meter in his combos should lead to the W. He is another character that should use his meter to combo into an X-ray as his stand alone midscreen combos aren't devastating.

These are just a few examples and hope this can make a difference for someone who is looking for a character to main or sub. I also didn't mention exwakeup attacks or armor as i need to look into that a bit more. But i hope this helps out and would love suggestions/add ons.​

Robotic

Gentleman.
Awesome shit man, I hope this continues, because as the game progresses, all we'll be doing is breakers and enhanced moves. The character's capability to build meter combined with the enhanced move's effectiveness is something ill continue to monitor as best I can.

Regarding sektor's ex straight missile: it's beautiful to end the round when someone is ducking ur regular straights, knows that blocking an ex up missile causes no chip and hasn't been exposed to the ex straight. I suggest we all take advantage of this while we can. When people wise up about this, its almost useless.

Loot

the special effects
EX Eblow Dash actually isn't that great. On block it is very easily punished between the hits by Kano and Jax Xray, Jade EX Flash, Sub can Ice Clone, Kung can Spin/Xray, Raiden can EX Superman (not sure about normal). THTB has a more comprehensive list and most of these I tried first hand with him.

As for EX Superman, it has the same startup and actually only does more damage at a range. If you do it upclose it won't add extra damage, it just has super armor.

EX Eblow Dash actually isn't that great. On block it is very easily punished between the hits by Kano and Jax Xray, Jade EX Flash, Sub can Ice Clone, Kung can Spin/Xray, Raiden can EX Superman (not sure about normal). THTB has a more comprehensive list and most of these I tried first hand with him.

As for EX Superman, it has the same startup and actually only does more damage at a range. If you do it upclose it won't add extra damage, it just has super armor.
thanks for your input, i didn't mean to put exdash in there for rep becaus ethe normal is better. I shouldda said that while in the corner the exelbowdash can be used to reverse your position and be combo'd into.

SGX

Noob
Baraka's EX d,f+2 is a really great tool for getting in, as it has super armor. Ideally you want to save up for his X-Ray, but there are a lot of situations (i.e. Vs zoning characters) where you just don't always have that option.

Baraka's EX d,f+2 is a really great tool for getting in, as it has super armor. Ideally you want to save up for his X-Ray, but there are a lot of situations (i.e. Vs zoning characters) where you just don't always have that option.
as does most of the cast does. Its just that it doesn't benefit him to where he is THAT much better with it compared to some of the other characters. He has potential with meter but still doesnt make him a great kombatant with it.