What's new

Question Will EX Freeze now be useless?

Now that Sub-Zero is getting armor on his EX Slide, it's going to severely help his game against his bad matchups like Skarlet, Kitana, Mileena, Reptile, etc. At the same time though, will this move make the EX freeze a waste of meter by comparison?

Think about it. The only two reasons I can think of to ever use EX freeze is 1. when they try to jump regular freeze, or 2. When trading with projectiles that regular ice can't beat (ie: Reptile forceball, Cyrax net, Sub Zero's/Cyber Sub's ice blast, etc) Looking at it that way, would you use the EX Freeze at all? Especially given that you can just armor through projectiles without trading?

I would have posted in the other thread concerning what the patch will do to Sub Zero, but that one's gone downhill.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
EX Freeze to beat a bad trade is going to net you more damage than just an EX Slide. If it turns out we can EX slide through a projectile and still land the opponent into a clone, it might just be situation dependent.

EX Freeze to beat a bad trade is going to net you more damage than just an EX Slide. If it turns out we can EX slide through a projectile and still land the opponent into a clone, it might just be situation dependent.
The funny thing is that the EX Freeze is only slightly faster than the regular projectile. I tested this and although the anticipation in the animation is quicker, the beam still has to cross the screen. For instance, if you attempt to trade and SZ's EX-beam has not made it half-way across the screen by the time the other projectile hits SZ, there is no freeze.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think you can really use it on reaction to trade projectiles. If you're not reacting, then you're obviously planning or reading your opponent and might as well use a regular ice-ball and save the bar for something else.

Just my two cents.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
It's not about the freeze getting there faster, it's about them staying frozen long enough to get up after a knockdown, run across the screen, and still be able to combo rather than slide or nothing at all.

I can see your point about getting more damage off the EX Freeze. So I guess it won't be completely useless. But since the EX Freeze is only slightly faster than regular freeze, you'd still have to try and time it to trade with projectiles. Whereas Slide can be done on reaction. I'd probably put up a clone and wait for the inevitable projectile, rather than try and trade for more damage, just in case I lose the trade and have to face more zoning.

Then again now that I think of it, if I wait too far away, I risk not getting there fast enough with the slide if the opponent recovers quickly.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Now that Sub-Zero is getting armor on his EX Slide, it's going to severely help his game against his bad matchups like Skarlet, Kitana, Mileena, Reptile, etc. At the same time though, will this move make the EX freeze a waste of meter by comparison?

Think about it. The only two reasons I can think of to ever use EX freeze is 1. when they try to jump regular freeze, or 2. When trading with projectiles that regular ice can't beat (ie: Reptile forceball, Cyrax net, Sub Zero's/Cyber Sub's ice blast, etc) Looking at it that way, would you use the EX Freeze at all? Especially given that you can just armor through projectiles without trading?

I would have posted in the other thread concerning what the patch will do to Sub Zero, but that one's gone downhill.
Yes, I would still use Enhanced Ice Blast without a doubt in my mind. Why? Simply because I can get a full combo out of it for some good 25%+ while EX Slide does like what? 12%? Someone can confirm this for me, please?

Oh and don't forget one thing: when patch comes live and EX Slide has armor it doesn't mean that you're invincible while using it. You have armor, all right, but trades are still going to happen, meaning you're still going to take damage from them.

That been said I see absolutely no reason to use EX Slide over EX Ice Blast while trading. Well, unless if it involves corner situations.

Is the damage you absorb using armor moves the same amount as if you just took the hit or is it less? At any rate, I guess I just assumed that the slide would be the move that scares people from zoning too much.

leek

Noob
Is the damage you absorb using armor moves the same amount as if you just took the hit or is it less? At any rate, I guess I just assumed that the slide would be the move that scares people from zoning too much.
Yes, same amount and everything. Just obviously there's no effect on you and there's a "get out of jail, free" kind of thing.

It really would only be useful in clutch situations with them at low health, and with your back to the corner. Other than that, no different than before.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I mean each has their use, so it will just be situation dependent. Really all we're getting is another tool. How good that tool is depends on whether or not clones stay active after absorbing a hit.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I mean each has their use, so it will just be situation dependent. Really all we're getting is another tool. How good that tool is depends on whether or not clones stay active after absorbing a hit.
Totally true. I'd put my bet on Clone not disappearing after getting hit while doing EX Slide.

Ex freeze can lead to a push back to the corner + more damging combos ..
ex slide can throw the opponent to the corner. and so, used to get out of the corner .. ( dont forget the damge that u ll eat from the ex slide armor when going through any projectile )!
for me, ex slide is now is subby's best wake up attack. Thats all.

Talyn

The Mad_Hattr
It's not about the freeze getting there faster, it's about them staying frozen long enough to get up after a knockdown, run across the screen, and still be able to combo rather than slide or nothing at all.
I was thinking the same thing as I read the OP. So, I still plan on using EX Freeze when.....or if, the patch goes live. (LoL, I know it'll go live)

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
If clone still stays up even if you take a hit while using EX Slide than it might make a difference, if not than its not gonna make much of a difference at all. Either way you still have to burn meter to use it which is never a good thing.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Ex ice is still a great anti-air and it's still a favourable trade. Don't know how much ex slide having super armour and a speed boost will change Sub's anti-zoning game, though.

So from reading the patch notes thread, Sub zero's regular ice is supposed to keep a standing opponent frozen longer... to the point where he may actually win those trades he couldn't win before like rep forceball and cyrax net. If this is true, and it isn't hotfixed at all, it looks as though NRS wants players to favor spending bar on the EX slide over EX freeze. unless they're lengthening the timer on ex freeze as well maybe? I dunno. A lot of the changes I'm skeptical of right now.

Dark_Rob

Noob
So from reading the patch notes thread, Sub zero's regular ice is supposed to keep a standing opponent frozen longer... to the point where he may actually win those trades he couldn't win before like rep forceball and cyrax net. If this is true, and it isn't hotfixed at all, it looks as though NRS wants players to favor spending bar on the EX slide over EX freeze. unless they're lengthening the timer on ex freeze as well maybe? I dunno. A lot of the changes I'm skeptical of right now.
This is not correct. While the normal iceball does last longer now, it is nowhere near as long as EX iceball. He will still lose trades to Reptile and be basically even with Cyrax. EX iceball will still be a big tool against reptile as will ex slide now.