What's new

Why the New Mortal Kombat Looks Like MK2, Plays Like MK3

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon knows that you want fatalities when you play MK. He's heard countless times about how the previous game, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was a T-rated game that didn't do justice to the franchise. He's heard a lot of fan output -- both positive and negative -- about what should be in the next Mortal Kombat; so fans who wish MK revisited the old days, here's your game, as the new Mortal Kombat is an M-rated, fatality-filled retelling of the first three MK titles (along with some new features).

Boon's presentation features a lot of classic MK items, but done in glossy high-definition. He takes care to point out that levels such as Living Forest and The Pit are lifted straight from the first two installments, and when it comes time to show characters, he lovingly demonstrates the game with Sub-Zero and Scorpion. Associate designer Eddie Ferrier elaborates on the use of past games, "The storyline is basically a retelling of the first three games -- we actually use time travel to revisit that timeline and do some retconning." Ferrier also points out that the most of the (approximately 26) character roster will feature MK fan favorites pulled from that trilogy, along with wholly new characters or tweaked-due-to-alternate-timeline versions of classic characters. At the moment, the roster that the team shows off includes: Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Mileena, Nighwolf, Reptile, and Sektor.

Again, to show off how much this new installment celebrates the series roots, Boon then shows off a series of fatality videos, all in full M-rated grisliness. Particular ones that stand out include Reptile vomiting poison into someone's mouth before snapping their neck, or Sektor blowing someone up with a blast and then having missiles lock onto individual meat chunks afterwards, to Kung Lao planting his razor hat on the floor (creating a makeshift tablesaw) and then dragging his victim across the floorbound hat. During my quick hands-on session, I managed to pull off one of these (where Sub-Zero freezes some poor fool's legs, and then tears the torso off said frozen appendages), and like in classic MK titles, these seem to be easy-yet-esoteric controller inputs that are quickly keyed in after hearing "Finish him!"

But Boon and Ferrier and the rest of the team over at NetherRealm isn't just making Mortal Kombat a glorified Greatest Hits compilation with HD and little else -- there are actual gameplay additions being added to the franchise. Boon points out that the Super Meter, which was introduced in MK vs DC, now has "additional features layered onto it." The Super Meter now has three levels to it -- with each level conferring a different fighting bonus. First, you can use the initial one-third of the Super Meter to pull off an Enhanced Move -- which, as it sounds, simply makes your move more powerful. This ranges from simply doubling attacks (two fireballs instead of one) to making your uppercuts more potent (and therefore, your victim more ripe for juggling). If you save up your Super Meter, you can expend two-thirds of it to pull off a Breaker; this instantly breaks any combo and be a great defensive mechanic when your opponent is pounding on you mercilessly. Finally, you can expend the entire meter to execute an X-Ray attack -- a special attack so damaging that it not only knocks off a hefty chunk of life (from my layman's eyes, it looks like it knocks off a third or a little under half of your opponent's lifebar), but it has a grody animation of a close-up X-ray of your victim's organs under attack. Apparently, someone on the MK team has watched a lot of Jet Li's Romeo Must Die

(skip to the last few seconds of this clip for an example).

Each character's X-rays (as both the attacker and the victim) is distinct and brutal -- stuff I've seen include collapsing of tracheas, ocular stabbings, and spinal shatterings.

Another mechanic that isn't too new for fighting games, but still new for Mortal Kombat, is Tag Team fighting. Not only can you switch between your two tag-teamed characters, but you can also call in Tag Attacks (where you switch fighters mid-combo so that, for example, Johnny Cage starts the conversation while Sektor actually finishes the argument) or Tag Assists (where the second character momentarily jumps in to add oomph to the current character's attack). I'm not a fighting guru, so I actually don't pull off any Tag mechanics myself, but they certainly look neat when Ferrier plays!

Mortal Kombat looks like it's come quite a long ways from its T-rated usage of DC characters and tame fatalities. It's both a celebration of its past, and a solid (and eminently playable) entry into modern HD fighting. If you had told me that I would actually enjoy playing an HD-generation Back to the Future-style re-imagining of Mortal Kombat, I would have declared you mad, but hey, it looks like Marvel vs Capcom 3 actually has some competition. It's like the '90s never stopped!

Source: http://www.ugo.com/games/mortal-kombat-preview

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This game won't play like MK3 without a run button.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think the combos will work very similar to MK3 but the charging will be different, instead of "running/smothering your foe" you'll be "dashing" at them...

As long as they have something to move your character I don't care personally. The combos clearly work like the older MK's JK, teleport, spear, combo etc...

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
man i love the run button, it makes the game interesting. idk about dashing, it depends on how it will work and feel. im not getting my hopes up for the new mk tho, ill wait unitl its released to base my opinion

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
The run button is one of the main things that makes UMK3 as good as it is. Without it, you just have MK2 with dial-a-combos. It would just be a total turtlefest.
You could say that, if it was an old game... lol

But MK9 being the new game that it is, will have more than just MK2's simplicity. Honestly, I love the dash they gave it. I just hope it works right.

I don't want UMK3 2.0, I want a good mk game, period. If its like UMK3 and good, then so be it.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I hate pressing back to block. At least MK has a block button. So maybe I won't suck as bad as I do in SSFIV.

God I hate 2D.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You could say that, if it was an old game... lol

But MK9 being the new game that it is, will have more than just MK2's simplicity. Honestly, I love the dash they gave it. I just hope it works right.

I don't want UMK3 2.0, I want a good mk game, period. If its like UMK3 and good, then so be it.
You implying that UMK3 isn't good?

MKF30

I hate pressing back to block. At least MK has a block button. So maybe I won't suck as bad as I do in SSFIV.

God I hate 2D.
I so agree....you know I was playing SFHD other night and let me tell ya, holding back for block is rather irritating at times...I swear I was blocking hits and I was still getting hit with certain crossovers...really annoying argghh I'm HAPPY MK has a block button, one thing I hope they NEVER change....

But at any rate, on MK run and dash. It definitely makes UMK3 fun but I don't think it makes the game whole "great" meaning look at MK4, also has the run yet is that MK game the best? lol exactly....I think the run adds zest, but I can understand both Juggernaut, Dark Rob's and Krayzie's views..

I swear at times Down and LK does jack crap about NW run, kick starter....which is why I'm very happy most combo starters in UMK3 aren't kick otherwise the down and LK would be pointless most of the time.

On the other hand, it DOES work for stopping charging foes usually(especially Sonya's lol) so overall I can't really complain.

One thing I will say though, UMK3 and SF IIHD/SF4 I've noticed especially if you get corner trapped you can potentially be screwed lol cornertrapping for the win! lol

But I agree with Roge, I think the dash looks good in this game. It may not be UMK3 run fast but it's certainly looking fast enough.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I so agree....you know I was playing SFHD other night and let me tell ya, holding back for block is rather irritating at times...I swear I was blocking hits and I was still getting hit with certain crossovers...really annoying argghh I'm HAPPY MK has a block button, one thing I hope they NEVER change.
Coming from being more of a Street Fighter player I have to say the block button took some getting used to for me. I always instinctively just held back to block. But I have to say after having been playing UMK3 for 4 months now, I think the block button is better for a few reasons.

1. As 9.95 has stated before the block button in MK is a dynamic block. It basically lets you control when you want to block and when you dont. In UMK3 there are times where its advantageous not to block instead. for instance just backing up slightly when your opponent tries to sweep and then rushing in after the contact frame passes to counter.

2. It eliminates proximity blocking. In Street Fighter if an opponent jumps at you with a jump kick and you try to just back up, it wont happen. You will automatically go into your block animation because the opponents attack triggers a proximity block. This doesnt happen with the block button.

3. Cancelling into block! Probably the biggest advantage of the block button is that you can cancel things like jabs/run jabs into block to both protect yourself and to try and bait out attacks.(AC1984 is a master at this technique.)

4. It does eliminate crossups.....to a degree. There are still crossups in UMK3, but not like in Street Fighter. The block is all encompassing as far as what side your getting attacked from so it will block things like crossup kicks and punches. You can still go for crossup throws though because crossing up does "flip" the controls so in order to throw protect you do have to shift your stick to the other side.

MKF30

Coming from being more of a Street Fighter player I have to say the block button took some getting used to for me. I always instinctively just held back to block. But I have to say after having been playing UMK3 for 4 months now, I think the block button is better for a few reasons.

1. As 9.95 has stated before the block button in MK is a dynamic block. It basically lets you control when you want to block and when you dont. In UMK3 there are times where its advantageous not to block instead. for instance just backing up slightly when your opponent tries to sweep and then rushing in after the contact frame passes to counter.

2. It eliminates proximity blocking. In Street Fighter if an opponent jumps at you with a jump kick and you try to just back up, it wont happen. You will automatically go into your block animation because the opponents attack triggers a proximity block. This doesnt happen with the block button.

3. Cancelling into block! Probably the biggest advantage of the block button is that you can cancel things like jabs/run jabs into block to both protect yourself and to try and bait out attacks.(AC1984 is a master at this technique.)

4. It does eliminate crossups.....to a degree. There are still crossups in UMK3, but not like in Street Fighter. The block is all encompassing as far as what side your getting attacked from so it will block things like crossup kicks and punches. You can still go for crossup throws though because crossing up does "flip" the controls so in order to throw protect you do have to shift your stick to the other side.
Very good points, I mean it definitely works for certain games(I understand KI has this technique as well) holding back to block. I like your 2. point especially, and the dodging sweep attacks instead of taking chip damage blocking them that's a good point as well. And of course 3. is good as well, with jab cancelling into block , kara jabs etc anything that you can use block to cancel into/from.

And yeah, your last point is also so true. In MK it's more swap sides of your character, in SF it seems very different like you can still get nailed even from an oncoming kick/move at times that kind of kicks thru you if you know what I mean where as in MK, the JK's knock you back so most of the time if not all the time you will get hit from the opposite side (of which your guy is now switched) with a JK

I enjoy SF HD(classic games especially) but the one thing I always wanted was a block button as another option and/or a way to escape or block throws. I know in SF4 thre's throw escapes now, Vega's cross up throws omg lol are so fast in SFHD, I love just doing that to people haha. I'm just an casual/average SF player but I like do that to people. It pisses off my friends at times haha. He's so fast.