What's new

General/Other - Mournful Why Mournful is Potentially Kitty's Best Variant.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Right, I did some testing on this F22U4~air glaive business, here's what the deal seems to be:

Moves that inherently cause knockback on block, some have a different animation than others, and some characters stagger backwards further than others during the animation. This is why some characters can't punish Bojutsu Kung Jin's EX Bo Swing on block.

I applied this knowledge here, and in Mournful's favor, you actually want there to be as little knockback as possible so that the air glaive takes less travelling frames to jail you.

For example, Scorpion can't do shit about this as he doesn't get knocked back very far, but Mileena can blow it the fuck up with EX Roll.

Sonya can parry projectiles? :confused:
It's kinda like Johnny's old X-Ray in MK9, he'll parry any hit as long as you are in a certain proximity. But in this scenario she gets knocked too far out of the "parry zone". For it to work.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I'm still pretty new to this character, but what do you guys think is her fastest and most effective punishing string when you are midscreen and have just blocked a standing attack from the opponent?

I'm still pretty new to this character, but what do you guys think is her fastest and most effective punishing string when you are midscreen and have just blocked a standing attack from the opponent?
B14 is the best combo starter if you want max damage but the range isn't good so they have to be point blank basically to get a proper punish. 212 is the most consistent punish but has lower damage output.

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
If you can't b14 then 11xxLift will generally do the trick.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
If you can't b14 then 11xxLift will generally do the trick.
In Mournful You can't ever go wrong with 11 ex glaive,f43, etc, etc. 8 frames of pure punishment. Decent dmg, decent meter build, and advantage if you end with staff grab. I fucking love Mournful. It's just a mystery. Best award for slept on variation aside from Meter stealing Kung Jin.

P.S. The range is the factor with f22u4. Try this guys.

Jump in 2,float, 3, Ex glaive. Tell me what you think as an overhead frenzy.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
In Mournful You can't ever go wrong with 11 ex glaive,f43, etc, etc. 8 frames of pure punishment. Decent dmg, decent meter build, and advantage if you end with staff grab. I fucking love Mournful. It's just a mystery. Best award for slept on variation aside from Meter stealing Kung Jin.

P.S. The range is the factor with f22u4. Try this guys.

Jump in 2,float, 3, Ex glaive. Tell me what you think as an overhead frenzy.
This is my go to punish for things like Quans b324 as 11 lift is risky in lag. Too late on the 11 ex glaive? You have your throw mixup/pressure at least.

Last edited:
So mournful has ways to apply lots of safe pressure. An amazing zoning tool that can't be avoided by simply crouching and can be angled. A safe shadow kick that goes about 3/4ths screen, anti-airs better than down 2, and pushes full screen. About 39% mid screen, 40+ in the corner. Builds insane meter. Has the most armored wake up options with Shadow Kick, Pole Slam, Rising Blades, and Throat Slice. A safe special she can cancel into to make more of her strings safer. She has the ability to run away or rush down effectively. The only thing the other variations have over it are the ability to convert stray hits for higher damage or higher damage in general. That's about it. They have no pressure or ability to rush down. They're not very safe. Their zoning is weaker. Are we done here?

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
So mournful has ways to apply lots of safe pressure. An amazing zoning tool that can't be avoided by simply crouching and can be angled. A safe shadow kick that goes about 3/4ths screen, anti-airs better than down 2, and pushes full screen. About 39% mid screen, 40+ in the corner. Builds insane meter. Has the most armored wake up options with Shadow Kick, Pole Slam, Rising Blades, and Throat Slice. A safe special she can cancel into to make more of her strings safer. She has the ability to run away or rush down effectively. The only thing the other variations have over it are the ability to convert stray hits for higher damage or higher damage in general. That's about it. They have no pressure or ability to rush down. They're not very safe. Their zoning is weaker. Are we done here?
You almost had me...but..Kitana and weak Zoning doesnt mix. In any variation.

Acid Hand

The Acid Hand
I agree w/ OP. This variation is potentially her best...fast mid glaives, keep away like crazy, armored wakeups, that dash kick.
I've been playing against @Shords Mournful and struggling just to get in!
I have an easier time getting in on RS or Assassin because you can duck the fans. NORMALIZE MOURNFUL! :p

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
tbh I've been thinking of learning mournful on the side... I never played Kit and I tried Assface Kit first and was like eh she's okay then I tried Mournful and had so much fun.

I love Mournful now, started with assassin then royal storm. The glaive gives me life! I think I have only just scratched the surface with it, can't wait to learn more and defo want another brutality for this variation! I would love the ex staff grab to kick off the opponents head or even an xray brutality! Finger crossed for the next update! I love this brutality for Kitana's Rs variation it really shocks the opponent when they are trying to projectile chip damage you!

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Did u notice, b14 glaive has a gap before the glaive comes out?
There's something interesting about it. If Kitana does B14 ex glaive and Mileena ex roll through the gap, Kitana will get launched, but the glaive still comes back and Mileena can't block it, resulting in even trade (both take 10% damage)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Did u notice, b14 glaive has a gap before the glaive comes out?
There's something interesting about it. If Kitana does B14 ex glaive and Mileena ex roll through the gap, Kitana will get launched, but the glaive still comes back and Mileena can't block it, resulting in even trade (both take 10% damage)
Against some reversals you get a full combo lol

You always wanna start pressuring with 212 xx ex glavie. It gives you max meter building and max chip. Depending on you're execution and the opponents hit box, the gap is after the first hit of the glavie. You have to run a little between glaciers to keep the block string going. If you're perfect you can jail. Even if you're not a lot of characters are too slow to reversal because there's so many hits happening at once. Starting from 3 bars you should be building nearly 2 more from the block string. You can also jail into 111 is a little easier but it's harder to keep it going. If you're full screen and toss an ex glavie you can basically run in and begin pressure off of that if the opponent isn't familiar with the match up. Try hit confirming off 21 rather than 212 so you can get better damage. I do 21 ex glavie jump over 1 f43 f43 21 lift dash under njp f4 pole slam about 35 for a bar I think.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
You always wanna start pressuring with 212 xx ex glavie. It gives you max meter building and max chip. Depending on you're execution and the opponents hit box, the gap is after the first hit of the glavie. You have to run a little between glaciers to keep the block string going. If you're perfect you can jail. Even if you're not a lot of characters are too slow to reversal because there's so many hits happening at once. Starting from 3 bars you should be building nearly 2 more from the block string. You can also jail into 112 is a little easier but it's harder to keep it going. If you're full screen and toss an ex glavie you can basically run in and begin pressure off of that if the opponent isn't familiar with the match up. Try hit confirming off 21 rather than 212 so you can get better damage. I do 21 ex glavie jump over 1 f43 f43 21 lift dash under njp f4 pole slam about 35 for a bar I think.
In the corner this is gold and super easy to hit confirm.