What's new

Why dont parry moves work vs jump ins?

jaym7018

Noob
Really frustrating that they are useless as an AA. AA in general seems really weak in this game unless you have an air grab. Is it a design choice to not have things like joker or batmans parries not work on jump ins or is it just wonky game mechanics. Jump ins seem way to free imo.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
It's a design choice. 9/10 time you just have to block and respect the jump in (unless your character has a dedicated AA). In fairness jump ins have little hit advantage, which makes it difficult to combo off them. So it all evens out. Sort of.

I don't particularly like this methodology but that's what it is in this game.

Also, Batman has quite a few AAs : bat-shield (trait), air grapple (situational) and d,2 spring to mind.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Because Paulo said so. It is a design choice.

I thought it was simply because they're overheads, and parries don't work on overheads. Some of them parry high/mid or high.

I noticed that some characters' d2 works really well as an AA, and some don't. Superman's seems really good and Shazam's is pretty horrible, as an example. Probably just have to experiment with each character to find their most reliable AA's.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
I was thinking about the same thing last night. I played online last night as Batman trying to parry jump in attacks with no success. I tend to use the air grapple but find the air bomb move more effective.

jaym7018

Noob
I thought it was simply because they're overheads, and parries don't work on overheads. Some of them parry high/mid or high.

I noticed that some characters' d2 works really well as an AA, and some don't. Superman's seems really good and Shazam's is pretty horrible, as an example. Probably just have to experiment with each character to find their most reliable AA's.
D2 seems to be pretty damn random if it works as an anti air for most characters. Only air grabs are reliable AAs. Some strings on block set you up for cross ups batman abuses the games terrible anti air system pretty heavily. Id really like to see AA get buffed it would just one more layer to the gameplay. You would think the reason D2 is so heavily scaled is cause its meant to be an AA but it doesnt work for most of the cast.

Well I wouldn't say most, just some. Maybe it's from having played KoF, but I'm used to experimenting a lot trying to find different AA's for different situations. You also have more options than just tossing out a move when the opponent jumps, so it's worth trying out a few different things. Backdashing or forward dashing under, walking back or forward to get a better position for your normals that might help them work better as an AA, neutral or jumping backwards and throwing out a jumping attack.. using your sweep or some other low-ducking normal...