What's new

Why does Sonic Fox win everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trufenix

bye felicia
Really? I think it is extremely valuable to listen to other people's opinions, even if you find them offensive. I would hate to live in a world where I only heard things I agreed with my whole life.
There's offering opinions and then there's perpetuating the rhetoric that guys like Foxy (or whoever) aren't winning because Sonic Fox has found some magic win button. It cheapens the value of their work (even if it only ever amounts to 2nd place), and it reduces Sonic Fox's prominence to some sort of "gimmick" that he just happened to be lucky enough to find first.

The second place guy works just as hard if not harder than the first place guy. The difference is talent.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Th
I don't think I've read specifically what you are talking about, but I'm guessing the author wasn't saying Bill Gates was simply more talented, but instead argued that it had more to do with factors like luck. And, also, context matters.
This was the gist of it. Malcolm Gladwell is a relatively well known author in the concepts of social psychology. He argues that Bill Gates was born in the right area, to the right family, and was in the right place at the right time to learn how to use and market computers and software to prepare for the digital revolution. It's really an interesting book tbh. It gives you a whole new prospective on what determines success.

Th

This was the gist of it. Malcolm Gladwell is a relatively well known author in the concepts of social psychology. He argues that Bill Gates was born in the right area, to the right family, and was in the right place at the right time to learn how to use and market computers and software to prepare for the digital revolution. It's really an interesting book tbh. It gives you a whole new prospective on what determines success.
I'm sure a lot of people know him, but Sam Harris has this unique belief, which he makes a really compelling argument for, that we don't have free will. We are destined to make the choices that we will make in the future. He has a book on it and some speeches on youtube about it. So in a sense Bill Gates was destined to be crazy rich. Unfortunately Sam Harris has been caught up in a lot of controversy with regard to Islam, you know the whole if you criticize islam you're an islamophobe thing, so that puts a lot of people off when ever he is mentioned, which is a shame because he's so incredibly smart and just extremely interesting to listen to.

A little under a month ago I asked Michaelangelo how Sonic Fox was so good, and he said it's because Sonic Fox practices a whole lot. He didn't try and downplay Sonic Fox's skill at all. You've gotta respect that.

Last edited:
A little under a month ago I asked Michaelangelo how Sonic Fox was so good, and he said it's because Sonic Fox practices a whole lot. He didn't say that with any animosity at all. I could tell it was a genuine answer. He didn't try and downplay Sonic Fox's skill at all, I just felt like pointing that out.
That's the best answer you can give when asked that question. It makes all the sense in the world. I don't know why anyone would think that was some sort of attack on someone's skill. Saying "you know why this guy is good? He worked his ass off" is the biggest compliment you could give someone. And I'm sure Michaelangelo practices a lot too, but michaelangelo is saying "I practice a lot, but sonic fox REALLY practices a lot." . As I said in an earlier post, because sonic fox is so good, he has obtained this legendary status of "he just can't be touched", and so people become very ignorant on the topic of "Why is sonic fox so good" because they don't see a lot of competition coming his way and so they come to false conclusions. They think he was just born that way. When in reality the answer is more simple than you want it to be, and the answer is the one Michaelangelo gave.

That's the best answer you can give when asked that question. It makes all the sense in the world. I don't know why anyone would think that was some sort of attack on someone's skill. Saying "you know why this guy is good? He worked his ass off" is the biggest compliment you could give someone. And I'm sure Michaelangelo practices a lot too, but michaelangelo is saying "I practice a lot, but sonic fox REALLY practices a lot." . As I said in an earlier post, because sonic fox is so good, he has obtained this legendary status of "he just can't be touched", and so people become very ignorant on the topic of "Why is sonic fox so good" because they don't see a lot of competition coming his way and so they come to false conclusions. They think he was just born that way. When in reality the answer is more simple than you want it to be, and the answer is the one Michaelangelo gave.
him just being born that way is a big part of it too

Yeah, I have been wanting to ask one of the top players this question for a long time without offending any of them. When I asked Michaelangelo that question, I wanted him to know up front that I wasn't insulting his or any other high level player's skill whatsoever.

This is what I asked Michaelangelo: "Dude, how is Sonic Fox so good? Don't get me wrong, you're my favorite pro player but nobody in MK's scene has had as much success that Sonic Fox has. He's never been beaten after being reset in a tournament. It almost happened a few times but he comes back. How does he do it?"

And this is what Michaelangelo said: "I get what you mean. He practices a whole lot. "

He was absolutely cool about it and straightforward with his answer.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Guys, just stop. This won't end. The camps are way too entrenched in their points of view on the issue. It's Practice is all of it vs Practice and talent both play a role, but mostly practice. THIS WILL GO ON FOREVER. Look, I'll save you 400 pages of sound and fury that says and accomplishes nothing.

It's all practice

No, it's just mostly practice. Innate ability plays a role.

No, it's all practice.

I disagree, here are x, y, and z reasons why talent is a real thing that has an effect on deciding the best at anything.

Well that's wrong, because practice makes perfect. Anything can be overcome if you just practice the most and get better.

Talent and Practice

Just Practice

Nature

Nurture

Repeat ad infinitum

Are we done yet?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This thread got all philosophical. Why can't we just chop it up to the Elder Gods granting him strength? HE IS THE ONE WHO WILL SAVE US.

#MakeEarthrealmGreatAgain
Booooooo!!!!!

Outworld, FTW!

GAV

Guys, just stop. This won't end. The camps are way too entrenched in their points of view on the issue. It's Practice is all of it vs Practice and talent both play a role, but mostly practice. THIS WILL GO ON FOREVER. Look, I'll save you 400 pages of sound and fury that says and accomplishes nothing.

It's all practice

No, it's just mostly practice. Innate ability plays a role.

No, it's all practice.

I disagree, here are x, y, and z reasons why talent is a real thing that has an effect on deciding the best at anything.

Well that's wrong, because practice makes perfect. Anything can be overcome if you just practice the most and get better.

Talent and Practice

Just Practice

Nature

Nurture

Repeat ad infinitum

Are we done yet?
Team Edward!!!

:p

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm talking about the game's ceiling.

Physical sports are different than video games. I'm like 5'10 . This automatically means that I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to basketball. Of course I'm probably not going to be the best at basket ball simply because of my height, no matter how many hours I put in. Video games really shouldn't be compared to sports.
Not everyone who's athletic and tall is going to make the NBA. There's more to it than just raw physical height/speed.

Some people just have a good feel for the game, are more coordinated, more accurate, have better vision of the floor, etc. You have people with similar physical traits, similar time spent learning, and yet vastly different levels of ability on the court.

GAV

Not everyone who's athletic and tall is going to make the NBA. There's more to it than just raw physical height/speed.

Some people just have a good feel for the game, are more coordinated, more accurate, have better vision of the floor, etc. You have people with similar physical traits, similar time spent learning, and yet vastly different levels of ability on the court.
Agree...

Chris Paul isn't tall, but try staying in front of him...

GAV

Guys, don't forget that love is a big part of it.

Peyton Manning just loves football. He loves studying film. He loves coordinated practice and practicing on his own. He loves learning new concepts and schemes. Football is his absolute favorite thing to do. Lifting weights is something Peyton does, but its not fun for him. As far as physical gifts, he's tall and has a great arm - but he is a relatively slow runner.

Colin Kaepernick loves playing football, but he hates studying film. He enjoys coordinated practices, but doesn't practice much on his own. He loves lifting weights and going to the beach. As far as physical gifts, he's also tall and has a great arm. He's athletically dynamic.

Who is really more gifted for playing QB in the NFL?

When Sonic Fox is practicing, he's not really "working." He's just doing what he loves.

Last edited:

GAV

Lastly, Sonic Fox's X factor...

No matter what happens, he stays loose.

In striking, there is great power in tension. There is even greater power in relaxation.

When there is an accident involving a drunk driver, the drunk driver is often unharmed when sober drivers are not. Despite being the cause, the drunk driver often walks away physically unscathed.

I'm not advocating drunk driving, but there is a reason they often are often left physically unharmed. They remain loose throughout. Tensing up is the worst thing you can do when struck.

Now, in MKX - staying loose has a different impact. He never suffers from a pausing moment. He only makes mistakes that are forced. By not tensing up, he is only focused on the game itself. There are no distractive thoughts. There is only his plan developed through his training that he had a lot of fun developing - and its his moment to have even more fun showing it off. He manages all aspects while playing to his strengths and negating his weaknesses flawlessly.

The OP thought it was because the other pros are lacking. I don't believe that. Did Frazier lack against Ali? As e-sports are just beginning, we are seeing something very special in this kid. Its going to take something really special to beat him.

Last edited:

Hiyomoto

Noob
This is kinda off topic but does anyone know why Sonic stopped using Outlaw Erron Black? All he uses is Gunslinger now.
It's a pretty superior variation. Can do about the same damage but now have armor breaking shots and an anti air that launches for decent damage from the stance. On top of that you can play mind games with your cancels.

GAV

I always assumed Sonic Fox switched to Gunslinger because the game's paradigm had shifted a bit towards zoning since the game's opening. In addition, Outlaw underwent some changes that made it so he couldn't just get in for free like he could before. Also, Sonic Fox has improved a lot at doing the command grab - so he doesn't necessarily need the stab for an ender anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.