What's new

Why are there so many MK sites?

blargh

derp
Since getting into MK9 and trying to learn the game, I looked for the what sites have information and wondered why are there so many? Thinking about other communities, they just have 1 site per developer/game (SRK, TZ, DL, ect) while MK has sites like TYM, TRMK, UMK, CMK, and MKU (and are there maybe more?). I would think that all these sites would just spread out and separate the MK community.

And BTW: I don't mean this to be disrespectful to any of the sites, just curious if some MK vets can explain.

Lee-K

Noob
People will deny it, but this is why the MK community is a mess. MK9 has an even bigger hill to climb because of this as well.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Lee-K said:
People will deny it, but this is why the MK community is a mess. MK9 has an even bigger hill to climb because of this as well.
Nobody should be denying your statement. You are definitely correct.

Most TYM and MKU veterans (STORMS, Krayzie Bone, DanCock, MKF30, Redsaleen, etc. etc.) are originally from MKO. The X-Box community would move away from MKO because of harsh moderation. The PS3 community would follow. That is essentially how MKU came to be. Eventually, some players felt that MKU was ineffective in creating an off-line MK scene. Led by STORMS and Bone, that is how TYM came to be.

The MK community is rather small yet very fragile and divisive. I would like to think that TYM and MKU have done good things for the community. MKO has always been a casual MK web site, more or less.

tehm

Noob
You know how to fix it right? Stop using the other sites. Simple as that.

If over night all pros vanished from any site but TYM with final postings saying "for future posts please see the main threads at TYM". The S1lent1 and Tom Brady posts were shut down saying "please direct all questions to the main post on TYM", etc... How long do you think it would take before the bulk of even the most casual of casual players ended up on TYM?

You don't like it? Refuse to even aknowledge their existance. On the internet there is no such thing as "bad press". Believe it or not, every time you even mention terms like "MKU", "MKO", etc on this site you give credibility to those sites. Not even to people (which would be bad enough) but to search engines! It's not as bad as linking to them (and straight up giving them PR) but when they crawl this site and see how much MK related information is on it, and they see a site like "one of the others" with lots of MK related information on them and they see both of the sites mentioning each other it tells the algorithm that those keywords are strongly related to MK and MK only and have relative weight within that domain. Then you go searching MK and all of a sudden those sites are the only ones that come up right? That's one of the basic cornerstones of SEO (search engine optimization).

TL;DR
If you don't like other sites splitting the community then you gotta pretend those sites are mother f***ing Voldemort. Don't say their name. Don't talk about them. Don't even aknowledge they exist. Because if the sites stop ranking in the engines, then effectively... they don't.

Death By Nines

Catharsis
In my experience, TYM and MKU are the competitive oriented sites... where strategies and matchups and debated. TRMK and MKO are more casual, where most threads are talking about the storyline, and character threads are little more than dudes complaining about 'spamming'.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Each site has a reason why it exists. Each site owner has their reasons why they want it to remain open, and not to be merged with another. TYM/CMK/UMK is more for the competitive scene and strongly advocates offline play and tournaments. UMK is geared more towards UMK3, CMK is geared more towards the 2D MK's, and TYM is geared more towards all of the MK's, especially UMK3 and MK9. MKU is for competitive MK as well, but mostly online competition. They recently are trying to get more involved in offline and tournaments, but they have a huge mountain to climb in that aspect. TRMK is more for just MK fans, not so much high level competition.

The "Kombat Network", which consisits of TYM, CMK, and UMK, is kinda like a merge of all 3 sites. We all want and advocate the same thing. It's just as I said earlier, each site owner has reasons why they want their site to exists, it's as simple as that. But the Kombat Network is really pushing for offline events and trying to stream said events as much as possible.

In an ideal and perfect world, there would be only one MK site/forum. But we don't live in a perfect world.

NoDoubt

nasty
Hey dont forget DavesMK, now known as MK Nexus ! lol. But ya, each site is kinda geared to a specific aspect of the game for certain groups of people. I think its worked out to be both good and bad in its own way. I mean, annoying with site rivalries and diversions, but good for those interesting in specific areas like juggs mentioned...CMK geared to 2D MK, UMK geared to ultimate MK3, MKU geared IMO to 3D competitive MK. Hey...theres even "rawMK2" for Mortal Kombat II dudes lol.

As long as everyone got along, I dont mind the seperate sites since they are so specific in specializing in something. Plus im on all of em anyway

MKU isn't very active and I don't see what makes it competitive compared to to other forums like trmk. Most members are just hanging around in the chat trolling. Character forums are deserted and people seem more interested complaining or joking about something than discussing gameplay. I still go on MKU from time to time because I like some people there, but I'm often disapointed to see so little discussions and activity.

So far from my personal experience TYM is the place to be if you're serious about MK9 and want to get better. srk and mku are nice and all, but I see little reason to discuss MK9 on those sites. Especially since almost every MK player from SRK is also here on TYM.

And honestly, it's true TRMK is a lot more casual oriented but I like their forums. It has a lot of people and active discussions going on. Hard to explain, but it's more lively than TYM. Of course there's a lot of crying and whining going on too but I enjoy owning noobs and telling them the truth they can't handle. :)

Dont forget to visit my sweet geocities MK site guys its got a super cool flaming banner, animated gifs and background music.

Don't forget to sign the guestbook and add me on myspaaaaccceeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

guys?

-Dammit_rab

well i think THEMORTALKOMBAT.com is the worst one. we really do need to merge mku and tym. and trmk should be the only "casual" site. thats it: tym/mku and trmk.

Dark_Rob

Noob
we really do need to merge mku and tym. and trmk should be the only "casual" site. thats it: tym/mku and trmk.
Thats not likely to happen. And its not that we have any ill will towards MKU, on the contrary we wish them all the best and continued prosperity. But all of us are very proud of what weve done with TYM in a relatively short time. In a brief year and a half TYM has gone from being a little obscure site that only a handful of people knew about, to becoming the premiere competitive Mortal Kombat site on the web. Thats a pretty amazing thing when you think about it.
The hard work and dedication of Storms, Krayzie Bone,Zaq,Tim Static,THTB,9.95 and others who have built this site up is what makes it special.
But as proud as I am of all those guys, Im sure every one of them would be the first to say what really makes the site special is you guys, our members. And Id have to agree.

TYM has more technical data on MK9 than any other website, and the majority of that belongs to the contributions of Tom Brady. If he decided to post his information on MKO, we would all be flocking to that website.

I'm not saying that there isn't other great players/contributors on here or MKU or any other site, but Tom has provided more useful information than all the other contributors combined!

In Vegas, I told him, if he wanted to start his own website, there's no doubt that all the serious gamers would register there. If him and S1lent made their own audio/video MK sight, there's no doubt they would attract a lot of MK players. I would have to get my sister to moon Brady again, haaaa.

MKO is where I started. I've made countless of friends and anti-friends from there, besides the online games of MKD, MKA, and MKvsDC. I try to stay in touch with all of them, and that means messaging them on here, MKO, MKU, and even PS3 (when it's up of course, haaa).

MKO is more social. TYM is more competitive, and MKU is a lil of both, in my honest opinion. For the record, my son frequents Kamidogu.com! Different strokes for different folks. I don't have the time or patience to be on every MK site. So I have made MKU my home, TYM my summer home, and MKO my vacation getaway, haaaaaaaaaaa!

I talk with my clan on ps3, but with my close friends, I talk to them on the phone! @Bossette, give me your number! haaaa, and @ AU_wanna die, quit calling me!

Malitor

Noob
I finally decided to peep over here. TRMK is around because it is one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) MK site on the web. A lot of us have been around since MK1 days when a lot of you were in diapers still.. lol - Yeah TRMK is more for the casual person/mk fan, but don't discount the skill of anyone there either. I welcome a tourney in the Dallas area, I can't really travel much further than that due to RL. Props to TRMK member JT Circus for a strong showing at CEO. I don't bash sites which unfortunately a lot of people in the community feel the need to do, but I appreciate each site's constructive contributions to the community. Keep up the great work here at TYM!

Tim Static

Adminerator
It wasnt all that long ago when NO ONE posted on TRMK. MK9 has given that site so much life. Pat is a good friend, and there are people on the staff there i <3 so much, like Jade, Sarah and K1LLKANO....but that place is just.......ugh. Still respect the TRMK name because ive been using TRMK since 1998 when MK4 was out in the arcades.

Tim Static

Adminerator
It's funny you say that.. always had respect for ya, but I never heard of this site till MK9. lol
TYM started as "Mortal Kombat Empires" in late 2009. Sometime last year, cant remember when, but we adopted the well know MK moniker, Test Your Might and changed the name of the site. So maybe you heard it as MKE before and didnt realize it. No matter, you and TYM are here now. :)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Thats not likely to happen. And its not that we have any ill will towards MKU, on the contrary we wish them all the best and continued prosperity. But all of us are very proud of what weve done with TYM in a relatively short time. In a brief year and a half TYM has gone from being a little obscure site that only a handful of people knew about, to becoming the premiere competitive Mortal Kombat site on the web. Thats a pretty amazing thing when you think about it.
The hard work and dedication of Storms, Krayzie Bone,Zaq,Tim Static,THTB,9.95 and others who have built this site up is what makes it special.
But as proud as I am of all those guys, Im sure every one of them would be the first to say what really makes the site special is you guys, our members. And Id have to agree.
The only website I touch is this one and sometimes MKU but rarely. I will say that if TYM implemented the chat room feature that MKU has it would be amazing. People could organize in chat rooms and get games together on psn/xbl. The twitter stream is nice but sometimes I have a hard time paying attention to it.

The only thing that has me going to shoryuken is the list of streams they have and the fact that you can see a viewer count in those streams, it would be nice to see something similar implemented. If more people stepped it up in the mk community and started streaming and we had similar notifications I think this site would blow up.

I'm planning on purchasing some streaming equipment just to show casuals at my house, online lobbys and perhaps our wednesday night tournaments. Were trying to grow a scene here in AZ so that we can be strong at Evo.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The only website I touch is this one and sometimes MKU but rarely. I will say that if TYM implemented the chat room feature that MKU has it would be amazing. People could organize in chat rooms and get games together on psn/xbl. The twitter stream is nice but sometimes I dont pay attention to it.

The only thing that has me going to shoryuken is the list of streams they have and the fact that you can see a viewer count in those streams so it would be nice to see something similar implemented. If more people stepped it up in the mk community and started streaming and we had similar notifications I think this site would blow up.

I'm planning on purchasing some streaming equipment just to show casuals at my house, online lobbys and perhaps our wednesday night tournaments. Were trying to grow a scene here in AZ so that we can be strong at Evo.
We used to have the Shoutbox but we get a lot of traffic so it overloads the Shoutbox and causes problems with the site. We've been working on some ideas for chatrooms instead of a Shoutbox though.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The only website I touch is this one and sometimes MKU but rarely. I will say that if TYM implemented the chat room feature that MKU has it would be amazing. People could organize in chat rooms and get games together on psn/xbl. The twitter stream is nice but sometimes I dont pay attention to it.

The only thing that has me going to shoryuken is the list of streams they have and the fact that you can see a viewer count in those streams so it would be nice to see something similar implemented. If more people stepped it up in the mk community and started streaming and we had similar notifications I think this site would blow up.

We did have a shoutbox as well, but due to the popularity and use of the forums, it because impossible to keep the shoutbox going without crashing the entire site. Now this is a problem that is a GOOD problem, but we realize that we could definitely benefit from something like that. BUT as far as matchmaking goes, there is the PM's, and just about everyone has some sort of instant messenger nowadays.

Hang in there for now. We'll figure out something.

Subby

Frost Warrior
Wouldn't it be better if most MK sites just merged into one? That way, there would be less of such a divide among fans.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
In the interest of convenience and having the community all together, I think it would be great to see some merging. I imagine that would be hard, though, as I imagine site owners would be hesitant to do that. Still, I think it'd be for the best.

We did have a shoutbox as well, but due to the popularity and use of the forums, it because impossible to keep the shoutbox going without crashing the entire site. Now this is a problem that is a GOOD problem, but we realize that we could definitely benefit from something like that. BUT as far as matchmaking goes, there is the PM's, and just about everyone has some sort of instant messenger nowadays.

Hang in there for now. We'll figure out something.
How about an IRC channel? SRK has #capcom, DL has #dustloop...why not make one for MK? Or perhaps there is already one, and I just don't know about it...?

Runefyst

Noob
Well I'm fairly new to getting my fighting game infor online, but this is the first MK site I tried out. (I was using SRK's MK subforum before...lame no? lol) I'll be sticking with TYM. I dunno what the other ones are like, but I've only been on this site for a few days, and feel comfortable/welcomed here. :) The info I've found has already improved my Mileena game as well.