What's new

Question Who do you use to handle your bad match ups?

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Sub is my main and I love the character from his normals to the design and the hu hu hu dash sound except his bad match ups are just unbearable... so I'm lookin' for a secondary to be able to pull out of my ass when people hard counter pick me. Any ideas?

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Kung Lao, Liu Kang,
who are your bad match ups?

the ones i have most trouble with are amazing sindel zoners, cyrax turtles, and pro noob saibots. the occasional kenshi as well but i don't count him since he i rarely run into him.

edit: and of course low iaf kitanas but ive only fought 1 so far so i don't count her either.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
just my opinion....since you asked for it ;)

I believe if you main a character and truly know that character...Trust him. you should know the bad matchups well enough to not be a worry.

If your worried about a counterpick you need to go back to the lab...just my opinion :)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
just my opinion....since you asked for it ;)

I believe if you main a character and truly know that character...Trust him. you should know the bad matchups well enough to not be a worry.

If your worried about a counterpick you need to go back to the lab...just my opinion :)
This. I've got a reasonable hold on a few people, but I always have the most faith in my robot :D.

Death

Noob
I main mileena and use her against everone except for KL. I love KL mirrors so KL is my alt.

As for sub, a good secondary for him is probably Mileena. After thinking about it, all of subs bad matchups are in Mils favor or 5-5.

Creepy00

Noob
If you ve enough experience with sub, sub actually has some chances. I still play sub even on the bad match ups and keep winning.
But from time to time, i would change to Cyrax or Ermac. Those characters cover some of sub bad matches.
keep training, dont get into the matchup chart thing, it is the player that makes the character ex: Jax (CDjr)

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
If you ve enough experience with sub, sub actually has some chances. I still play sub even on the bad match ups and keep winning.
But from time to time, i would change to Cyrax or Ermac. Those characters cover some of sub bad matches.
keep training, dont get into the matchup chart thing, it is the player that makes the character ex: Jax (CDjr)
i totally agree

Yeah, I've been using sub for a long time so I can deal with his bad match-ups sometimes, but I may switch to Johnny Cage if I feel like not using Sub, as I like a game change.

Soul-Tattoo

a.k.a BigBerto
I agree with the previous posts that a good enough Sub-Zero can take on his bad match-ups and come out on top. However, I think it's always good to have a backup character just in case and it sometimes helps in throwing off your opponent. Since I mainly have troubles against zoners (i.e. Kitana, Noob, and Kenshi) I switch to Smoke. Wiffing instant air teleports are a great way to get in and Shake keeps them from spamming those pesky _____ (insert projectile of choice here). Also, Smoke has a good enough damage output to be scary and has a godlike d3 and sweep.

Gamma

Plays too much Civ
Currently, I am trying out four characters as an alternate for Sub (Reptile, Kenshi, Sektor, and Rain). Reality is reality Sub does have some bad match-ups and a solid alternate is a good way to keep people from counter-picking you in tournaments.

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
Sub is my main and I love the character from his normals to the design and the hu hu hu dash sound except his bad match ups are just unbearable... so I'm lookin' for a secondary to be able to pull out of my ass when people hard counter pick me. Any ideas?
Sub-Zero bad matchups = Get zoned hard.

Smoke = anti-zoner (parry AND teleport) + godly pokes + fastest overhead + sick resets + Kuai Liang and Tomas have a relationship.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Sub-Zero bad matchups = Get zoned hard.

Smoke = anti-zoner (parry AND teleport) + godly pokes + fastest overhead + sick resets + Kuai Liang and Tomas have a relationship.
really, only Freddy and Kabal zone him out. One of his bad match ups is Kung Lao!!! I like Smoke though, he's very mobile. Really, It depends on how you play. I have trouble with KL and getting him off of Sub. So I just switch to JC and duke it out. However, I will never go down swinging if I haven't used Sub Zero.

i'd agree look into mileena if you want to counter your bad sub mu's...

there isn't anyone i'm afraid to use mileena against & i never feel like i lost because of a bad match up
there are times when i feel like lag + the character they're using is making it harder than it should be (usually smoke, kl, cage, quan chi)
i'll counter pick kung lao's if i know the person is laggy... i'll pick someone with faster normals

but mileena might not be a character you want to play

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I use Ermac. For bad match ups I use Ermac. At one point or another you gotta not say "damn, hard match better counterpick" and just suck it up and work a little harder for your win. I'm not saying YOU specifically do this I'm saying in general people still need to learn their hard matches for their mains. I despise people who sit and wait to see who I'm going to pick on the character select screen for this reason.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I'm quite a bit better with Sub-Zero than with my alternates, so I'm better off sticking with Sub-Zero than switching out.

I try to stick with SZ for my bad match ups. I feel that if you main someone you should take on any match that comes your way.

I normally have alot of trouble getting in on Kitana with SZ. Dash blocking never seemed to get me in close enough to get any real pressure going so I started dash d4ing under her fans. You can safely move in without taking chip and adjust your game once you're close enough.

If there's a will, there's a way.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I handle bad match ups with Kabal or Kitana, sometimes with scorpion, since he is a very good zoner

BookBurning

Voidwards
The same character I use to handle all matchups. Rain.

I think too many people become focused on trying to find an easier route to beat a given character rather than find ways with their character to fight the matchups.

That's just my opinion.

Metalic

Noob
I usually stick with Sub regardless of matchup, but from time to time I use Reptile or Sektor to make my life easier (vs Noob or Kitana most commonly.)

Enenra

Go to hell.
I'm a pretty good Noob. I usually flock to him when I'm geting zoned. Never lost a mirror, granted I haven't played the greats like Hitoshura or D.R. That said, I really like to learn to deal with bad match ups for better or worse. The salt may get overwhelming, but stick with it and you'll find some sugar.