What's new

Who can compete?

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
OK so to preface, this is not a tier list.(i despise tier lists, i believe it is the player that makes the tier not the character.)

That being said i have noticed something as of right now. There are a few characters that just cannot compete with the "High Tier" characters in the fact they lack tools or the tools have not been explored to find the advantages.

I have noticed that some characters are broken in a sense. However even with that they are all defeat-able. These are the characters that can compete in some way with all characters.
[Not in any order]

Kabal
Jax
Kitana
Liu-Kang
Freddy
Kung Lao
Raiden
Skarlet
Kenshi
Reptile
Johnny Cage
Sonya
Ermac
Cyrax/Cyblax
Sektor
Nightwolf
Smoke
Mileena
Jade
Quan Chi
Sindel
Jade
Sheeva
Sub-Zero
Shang Tsung
CSZ
Rain

Ok all of those characters can compete with any other character in that list, That does not mean it will be easy, but it can be done. Now The characters that are left are missing key tools to truly compete with all other characters, or those tools have yet to be truly discovered.
[This is based on offline play where things are punishable not online where you can get away with more. Online every character is viable]
{i will add more to this but i wanted to start and i will give one key matchup where there is no chance for the character}

Kano- Problem Match/s= Kenshi

Noob- Problem Match/s= Kenshi

Baraka- Problem Match/s= Kabal

Scorpion- Problem Match/s= Kung Lao

Stryker- Problem Match/s= Quan Chi

Again these are only one matchup i see there are more for each, but as i have seen both from tourney play and from working through each of these characters they cannot Win these matches if the other player play correctly.

(I know i will get hate but this is an opinion and i think it could help to light a fire under people who play these characters to explore more with them.)

NKZero

Noob
This is how I see it.

Characters with 4-6 match-ups can still compete. That means quite a bit of the cast but some people are bound to have 3-7's at least once.

Characters with 3-7 match-ups probably need to counter-pick. Or you need to know that match-up inside out to stand a chance.

Characters with 2-8 match-ups should just drop their character :p. They definitely need a secondary.

But nowadays you see people counter-picking 4-6's anyways. If it's a losing match-up they just think I'll get a character who does 5-5 or better (normally better). So I personally would narrow your list down to those who only lose as badly as 4-6 (and not too many 4-6's at that).

Death

Noob
I personally think any match thats 4-6 shouldnt be counter picked. Just take the time to level up in those 4-6 MUs. You'll get better MU experience and level your character up as well. 3-7/2-8 should be counter picked. Your not going to win a lot of high level MUs with those numbers. Keep in mind I count 4-6 as slight disadv and 3-7 as disadvantage.

NKZero

Noob
I personally think any match thats 4-6 shouldnt be counter picked. Just take the time to level up in those 4-6 MUs. You'll get better MU experience and level your character up as well. 3-7/2-8 should be counter picked. Your not going to win a lot of high level MUs with those numbers. Keep in mind I count 4-6 as slight disadv and 3-7 as disadvantage.
D'you agree with me that 2-8 is the absolute worst match-up in the game? I'm talking Mileena-Sheeva or Jade-Kenshi bad. Cage-Jax is 7-3. Like is that your barometer as well?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I dont really see what youre trying to get at here. All characters can compete in this game but it is very difficult for some to do so. The top 10 are just a level ahead of most other characters in the game. You cant say that nearly all the characters compete and then list matchups at the bottom that many of the characters you listed have to deal with as well. Its all theory fighting and in the end it comes down to how well a person knows their own character, their opponents character, and how well their opponent knows them/their character. Putting out stuff like this is just gonna continue to make people switch characters and move around when they are better off with the character they know best. Technically every character can be on this list but in all seriousness i think it is near impossible to take a character outside the top 15 by themself and compete regularly against the top 10. The only person ive ever seen do it is brady with his sub zero.

exyle

Noob
So, basically 5 characters can't compete. Pretty much everyone will agree with you on this.
More interesting question would be "who can compete without using a secondary"?
I think any character that doesn't have 3-7 matchups doesn't need a secondary. I could probably name only 4 or 6.