What's new

Where is the competitive hype for MKX?

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
I didn't even know there were any tournaments going on. Then again, I've been out of the loop since like a year after MK9, I don't eve know where to look for competitive tournament announcements. My main way of getting esports info is thru twitter, and I hardly follow anyone that does that MKX. I think if things were better publicized, maybe if the MK/Nether realm account retweeted some tournaments here and there, people like me would see it more.

Related side-story: Was super pumped when I saw the Fatal 8 trailer, was super sad when I realized i missed it because I had no idea when it was going to be, now I can't find vods anywhere :(

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I didn't even know there were any tournaments going on. Then again, I've been out of the loop since like a year after MK9, I don't eve know where to look for competitive tournament announcements. My main way of getting esports info is thru twitter, and I hardly follow anyone that does that MKX. I think if things were better publicized, maybe if the MK/Nether realm account retweeted some tournaments here and there, people like me would see it more.

Related side-story: Was super pumped when I saw the Fatal 8 trailer, was super sad when I realized i missed it because I had no idea when it was going to be, now I can't find vods anywhere :(

Or http://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm/b/648823599?t=5m53s for the entire broadcast

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
I think it's just ignorance, poor CEO and poor promotion. TYM layout is really bad, it barely appears in google and it's not promoted on the streams. The garbo people with popular streams like trutalent dont give a shit about the competitive community or leveling up, so thats a lot of new audience thrown in the trash. It's just matter of educating people, plugging the community abroad in this big opportunities we have in front of the mainstream, and fixing TYM.

Please fix TYM or get someone to do it instead of saying "I dont have time".
?
I like the new layout, after having been gone for several years. I think it's pretty sleek and modern. The only think I don't like is the navbar at the top is a little intrusive on my small ass laptop.

Thanks man, I'll check those out after finals

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I tried to watch a few things, but down time in streams has been bad, if there is more the 5 mins inbeween matches I get pissed and feel I could be doing something more productive.

If the matches come fast and furious its easier to get invested in the stream.

Tournament stream production needs to step it up.

Also, promotion and awarness of said streams would help lol.

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
I tried to watch a few things, but down time in streams has been bad, if there is more the 5 mins inbeween matches I get pissed and feel I could be doing something more productive.

If the matches come fast and furious its easier to get invested in the stream.

Tournament stream production needs to step it up.

Also, promotion and awarness of said streams would help lol.
How much downtime were you looking at?

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
i'll tell you right now

ps4 tournies will take ages.... if they allow ps3 sticks to be used.
On sunday I was at a local get together, and all the stations were PS4 as well. Some kept getting an error if they werent hooked up to the internet as well?? I'm not sure the exact reason, but it was pretty damn silly. And yah, the stick players just ended up sharing sticks to avoid all the hassle of switching things around.

It makes streams painful to watch, can't imagine actually being at the tourny,

Screamo Luvr

Ice Warrior
5-15 mins depending on the stream,

I forgot to add to my post, that it's easier to watch that one guy playing online, because there are always matches happening, so people tune in and stay tuned in,

Just a thought,
5-15 minutes isn't really that bad...Just have something to do during the ad breaks....Starcraft and LoL tournaments sometimes have breaks as long as 30-an hour. They do have to shuffle people around and make sure the players are comfortable and stuff.

i'll tell you right now

ps4 tournies will take ages.... if they allow ps3 sticks to be used.
I wish the PC port was good enough to be used as the streaming version. I feel like it would make it much easier for tournament organizers, probably cheaper too, although that may be pretty arguable.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
?
I like the new layout, after having been gone for several years. I think it's pretty sleek and modern. The only think I don't like is the navbar at the top is a little intrusive on my small ass laptop.

Thanks man, I'll check those out after finals
UX design is really bad. I do this for a living, it's really bad and the SEO is also terrible.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
5-15 mins depending on the stream,

I forgot to add to my post, that it's easier to watch that one guy playing online, because there are always matches happening, so people tune in and stay tuned in,

Just a thought,
Texas stream had almost no time in between matches, just saying ;)

5-15 minutes isn't really that bad...Just have something to do during the ad breaks....Starcraft and LoL tournaments sometimes have breaks as long as 30-an hour.
Starcraft and LoL have single *rounds* that can last 30-60 minutes. No idea what that's got to do with fighting games. MLG was appropriately mocked for having substantial delays between fighting game matches. If you're expecting the viewers of the scheduled tournament to "have something to do," I'd expect the TOs to have something to do: Put on the content you're asking people to tune in for. Streaming simply isn't hard at this point. Telling players to be present and report to their match in a timely fashion or be DQ'd isn't hard. Sizable downtime when switching between titles? Throw on casuals. The gamers and equipment are right there.

There used to be more FGC tournament streamers that defined their job as only pointing a capture card and maybe a webcam in the general direction where someone might be playing something at sometime. Thankfully, those are being devoured by TOs and producers who actually care about the audience and the product. And really, how can we ask viewers to care more about a stream than the actual event host does?

Last edited: