What's new

When Is The Game Taken Too Far?

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
My question is why did it take until today, after LTG vs Viscant, for this thread to be made...?

Not to down on the OP at all, it's a damn good question. But that is definitely a huge reason for this thread, despite the other occurrences in the NRS community.
I totally agree man.

TKB

Noob
That super long Perfect Legend thread where he and KDZ were arguing about who lives a more glamorous video game life... That's when it's gone too far.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
The game only goes too far when accusations of race and talking of families gets involved. But that's about it.

Threats and hype are a part of this business, but you gotta look at who's making the threats. We ARE ALL nerds. Let that sink in. We all obsess over a video game and talk about it in mathematical language. So anyone acting hard up about it is a goddamn fool. However, that doesn't mean pride and reputation can't be involved, it just means that swinging your fists like a neanderthal is probably not the way to get things done. Now as far as I know, there is only once incident of folks getting punched in the face that's happened in the NRS scene. Which is great, far better than most others. What's the problem?

A big part of it might be that people are sensitive. Like, REALLY sensitive. You will see now that a common talking point is someone disagreed with a matchup I gave, now I'm invalidated as a person. For real, what the actual hell? People get told they are wrong or ignorant and all of a sudden, seppuku might as well be the only appropriate step. At the same time, we had an incident where the term "Superjew" in a recent GGA post was CENSORED by the staff. Never mind that the person who was being referred to has referred to himself as that and it was only a reference to him and him alone. But the PC police came in and changed it. You have members that are not willing to defend their opinions under somewhat harsh language and mods who will neuter people's words because Johnny Twinkletoes might think about it at some point in his day.

This is a group of people whose goal is to be better than EVERYONE ELSE. If you DON'T talk a little trash and pump yourself up, then I'd think you were crazy. But at the same time, when those who do wanna talk themselves up go out and mess up on the big stage, then yeah, expect a pretty decent ribbing back. It's not personal, it shouldn't make you wanna "quit the scene" or any other such nonsense; just deal with it, up your game and do better next time. Hell, use it as inspiration if you must.

The "everyone gets a trophy" mentality is starting to creep into the community and I don't know if I like it. I've only seen two or three times in this whole year where "the game" went too far, and I've seen almost a hundred other times where it was just the PC cops run amok. LTG and Viscant was real stuff, real guys with a real beef, and they settled it in game and didn't go out and brawl in the streets of Walnut. That should be applauded, not condemned.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
ego disillusion ..... using fighting games as scapegoat to hide some personal frustration in life .... games are supposed to be entertainment stuff for having fun time in first place .... human beings of course are competitive by nature, by, sometimes, this trait can be fucking serious ridiculous when overdone :eek:

Easy 100% accurate, simple measurement to whether you've gone over the line and sacrificed good sportsmanship on the altar of your ego:

When you can't shake hands with the other person after the match.