What's new

What should I do Sonya community?

Should I main sonya once again?

• Total voters

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Ok TYM users I have come to the conclusion that ALL sonya players are downplayers and don't have the experience with sonya that they should have. Now I am not saying you sonya players are bad because that would be completely wrong. But there are many variables that I see which can conclude why you guys are downplaying your character so much. Top sonya players like Death Riu Gamerblake and showtime are all great players but are held back by many things which hold them back from what I believe would be a COMPLETE sonya player. Now for anybody who hasn't played F0xy's sonya back when he mained her, hasn't played/seen a complete sonya player.

Death- Took a huge break from playing this game. Not sure if he has the offline scene to play with others but taking a big of a break as he did can really mess your game up.

Showtime- Just picked up sonya prolly didn't learn all the MUs he would like yet but IMO prolly tied from 1st best sonya along with death and riu

Riu- hardly plays the game but still a top sonya from the little experience he has in tournament. IMO Riu would by far be the best if he just had more time to play the game because he has exploited sonya the most and has been doing it since the game came out. Prolly the only sonya main who has been playing her since release date

Gamerblake- Dude you play too much online sonya what else can I say. I've seen it, I've played it. Definitely a great sonya player but online helps you get away with too much d1(blocked)-MS mixups and standing 4(blocked) MS mixups or cartwheel.

One thing sonya players don't have, the patience to sit back and lame the shit out of most of the cast. There are only a few characters that sonya has to rushdown obviously but sonya is most dangerous when shes making you play her game. Many sonyas come in with a rushdown d4 style of sonya. You guys ever notice why sonya players lose? Because they commit to something unsafe because of CARELESS rushdown. The most overwhelming sonya is a sonya who plays a patient footsie game and keeps you constantly guessing, NOT a sonya who comes in with d4 d4 d4 which can easily be stuffed with d3 with most characters or even advancing normals like f3 with JC. People are usually shitting themselves because they don't want sonya near them so they go to desperate measures and do things like unsafe armor, jump in, dash d3-jump over.

Sonya has the best footsie tools in terms of normals in the game tied with kitana but all have some sort of safe pushback/fast recovery or cancel into MS pressure options which are all safe and can go into further mixups like ex cartwheel. There are too many things that many people leave out that is very critical in sonya gameplay:

• Dive kicking-Deep jump in kicks
  • Ex cartwheeling cross overs
  • Using block string cancel to MS setups that you can bait for armor usage and answer back with an excarthweel..... example of this is 114 MS and lets say the player is a JC player and wants to do an ex nutpunch, you can cancel the MS into ex cartwheel kick or cancel and block and full combo punish. Excartwheel can be used to bait EX SC from Kenshi or maybe an EX dash punch or overhead from Jax
  • Using MS 2 to whiff punish anything out of D4 range. Can also be used to followup an energy ring on hit because they cant jump they must block and if blocked it spaces you out into d4 range which after that you can just back up and play footsies or go for d4 mixups. Whichever floats your boat
  • Ex divekick- people are eager to punish dive kick on block. Other properties people don't realize is that ex dive kick acts as an overhead, so if your duck blocking you can lose about 10% health along with about 1-2% chip from MS 2 followup
  • Use of MS B4's pushback do bait d3's/d1's to get another d4 MS mixup in

I used to main sonya and I played her since the game came out and prolly dropped her around Jan 2012 which was prolly a bad idea. She is WAY to good to not make CONSISTENT top 8 finishes. Its freaken ridiculous how bad sonya players are downplaying their character. I almost feel like using her again to prove how stupid she really is. Maybe I won't use her maybe I can just make tech videos to show you different ways to deal with different situational things.

I'm only asking for your opinions on this. I MAY NOT main sonya just because you guys all vote for her but I will provide videos if you guys like that option because I know ALOT about sonya.

DISCUSS

EDITED: Also another tactic that more sonyas should be using that I forgot to post in the bullet statements is D1 EX cartwheel. Only player who uses this is death. Best way to bait out a counterpoke and get a combo for it when they are expecting you to d1 out of pressure.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I'm not sure if you're trying to put us on blast or not.

I know d1-Stance/Cartwheel and 4-Stance/Cartwheel are by no means guaranteed mix-ups. They can be interrupted. I learned that the hard way offline.

EX divekick isn't worth the use. Yes, the third hit is an overhead, but personally I'd rather save the meter for either EX Cartwheel or Breaker.

The use of her shoulder charge from the stance (MS-2), this I encourage, I don't know why people do not use it often. I've used it to surprise them from long range.

The majority of the time I've used Sonya, I've always seen her as the kind of character who can only do damage if she's up in your face. Only time zoning is fine is if she's holding the life lead.

But right, what do I know. :rolleyes: Don't mind me.

P.S. I voted for you to body people with her.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
  • Dive kicking-Deep jump in kicks
  • Ex cartwheeling cross overs
  • Using block string cancel to MS setups that you can bait for armor usage and answer back with an excarthweel..... example of this is 114 MS and lets say the player is a JC player and wants to do an ex nutpunch, you can cancel the MS into ex cartwheel kick or cancel and block and full combo punish. Excartwheel can be used to bait EX SC from Kenshi or maybe an EX dash punch or overhead from Jax
  • Using MS 2 to whiff punish anything out of D4 range. Can also be used to followup an energy ring on hit because they cant jump they must block and if blocked it spaces you out into d4 range which after that you can just back up and play footsies or go for d4 mixups. Whichever floats your boat
  • Ex divekick- people are eager to punish dive kick on block. Other properties people don't realize is that ex dive kick acts as an overhead, so if your duck blocking you can lose about 10% health along with about 1-2% chip from MS 2 followup
  • Use of MS B4's pushback do bait d3's/d1's to get another d4 MS mixup in
fucking this! especially the ones I highlighted

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I'm not sure if you're trying to put us on blast or not.

I know d1-Stance/Cartwheel and 4-Stance/Cartwheel are by no means guaranteed mix-ups. They can be interrupted. I learned that the hard way offline.

EX divekick isn't worth the use. Yes, the third hit is an overhead, but personally I'd rather save the meter for either EX Cartwheel or Breaker.

The use of her shoulder charge from the stance (MS-2), this I encourage, I don't know why people do not use it often. I've used it to surprise them from long range.

The majority of the time I've used Sonya, I've always seen her as the kind of character who can only do damage if she's up in your face. Only time zoning is fine is if she's holding the life lead.

But right, what do I know. :rolleyes: Don't mind me.

P.S. I voted for you to body people with her.
Thanks for the comment. And I really want to get back into her again so I may start bodying people :). EX divekick is used for turtling situations towards the end of the 3rd round or something. It can be a free 10% and its super fast. Thats why I put it there and it works very well. Not trying to put you guys on blast skillwise as sonya players but I'm trying to open up your opinions and hopefully try to change the way you play with sonya. Nobody played sonya as well as A F0xy Grampa

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
lol fucker. u know what i mean!
I seriously don't lol. Who goes "FUCKING THIS! the ones i highlighted" and expects the other person to know what they mean? Do you mean that you like the things I stated or are you trying to say you do that? Im not understanding what you meant dude.

xKhaoTik

I seriously don't lol. Who goes "FUCKING THIS! the ones i highlighted" and expects the other person to know what they mean? Do you mean that you like the things I stated or are you trying to say you do that? Im not understanding what you meant dude.
lmao omg. yes curbo. i am agreeing with you man. haha

but seriously, i glad you mentioned all the stuff u had in bullets.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Thanks for the comment. And I really want to get back into her again so I may start bodying people :).
To be blunt, you body people no matter what character you use.

Not trying to put you guys on blast skillwise as sonya players but I'm trying to open up your opinions and hopefully try to change the way you play with sonya.[/USER]
I have a hard time believing that. You strike me as the kind of guy who lives to put people on blast. But I suppose I'll take your word for it.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
To be blunt, you body people no matter what character you use.

I have a hard time believing that. You strike me as the kind of guy who lives to put people on blast. But I suppose I'll take your word for it.
I just joke around with people, its my character people portrey me as in this community. I do it for fun . And its funny because people think Im the biggest goon ever.

Lol Idk if I body people with every character but sonya was one of my favorite characters to play as because of her style.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
lmao omg. yes curbo. i am agreeing with you man. haha

but seriously, i glad you mentioned all the stuff u had in bullets.
Just put in another thing on the bottom of the page. I added in D1 ex cartwheel which stuff counterpoke attempts except for d3. Death uses it alot and its real good.

xKhaoTik

Just put in another thing on the bottom of the page. I added in D1 ex cartwheel which stuff counterpoke attempts except for d3. Death uses it alot and its real good.
yea i've always used d1 ex cartwheel. I LOL when I see someone do d1 cartwheel, especially offline.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
I've been saying this since I picked her up awhile ago, she is to good. Safest character in the game when her ms cancels are done correctly

She's madcfun to play as too curbo pick her up you'll love it, she's cage with safe Armor launcher

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Remember when you were going to be the bringer of doom with kabal? Is this like that?

#IamMuffinMuggers
Didn't he pick up Kabal because he's broken, and Curb was confident he could bring out his true potential? See, that's arrogant.

But CURBOLICOUS has played Sonya for a long, long time (before Cage?), and, way before MLG Columbus, always proclaimed his Sonya to be unbeatable. It's why we grew to love/loathe him. lol.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Didn't he pick up Kabal because he's broken, and Curb was confident he could bring out his true potential? See, that's arrogant.

But CURBOLICOUS has played Sonya for a long, long time (before Cage?), and, way before MLG Columbus, always proclaimed his Sonya to be unbeatable. It's why we grew to love/loathe him. lol.
Not to mention that I remember CURBOLICOUS giving Pig Of The Hut's Kenshi trouble with his Sonya over XBL.

Man, how time flies...