What's new

What needs to be done

Ok so everyone agrees that the 3D MK games are bad.
So what needs to be done, in your opinion to make "next-gen" MK better?

For me its a REAL fighting system, Midway need to take their time and make a 3D fighting game that plays like a 3D game and doesn't have a ridiculous amount of infs.

I think the only good thing about the 3D MK games is that they've tried to still incorporate the special moves like the freeze, spear etc. Something most 3D fighting games have'nt bothered with. If they can make the game 3D but still have the special moves/juggle combos they could have a hit on their hands.

I think they should stop making 3d fighters period, and go back to their 3d roots. Have YOU seen a 3D street fighter? Nope.

Get rid of the infinites as well.

yer they should still make 3d ones but add a 2d one as another disk or something because i prefer the 2d but the problem is the amount of time it took to create a 2d

and do they still make street fighters

i had street fighter ex plus alpha that was 3d

stick man said:
yer they should still make 3d ones but add a 2d one as another disk or something because i prefer the 2d but the problem is the amount of time it took to create a 2d

It took a long time to make the 2Ds because they had 8 people Making them compared to 50+ now.

I said, 3D street Fighters.

dreemernj

Ambassador
abc ur dead0 said:
stick man said:

It took a long time to make the 2Ds because they had 8 people Making them compared to 50+ now.

I said, 3D street Fighters.
The Street Fighter EX series are 3D Street Fighters. I've played EX+A a bunch on PSX and I believe there is one or two for PS2 as well. Maybe more. I was never a big fan though.

And as far as what they need to do?

I think they could make good 3D MK games. The trick is to make it fun for casuals, indepth and balanced for high level play, and still have it feel and look like MK.

MK characters typically look awesome IMO. I like how they look in MKDA-MKA, I think it was a great look for them. And there was so much potential there in MKDA. I think they need to focus on the things that make MK good and unique.

They have to keep the classic style specials and projectiles, but they need to work on the basics a lot. I think they need to choose between properties for ground hits/autocombos similar to UMK3 or something more like other 3D fighters. They are like middle of the road now and it doesn't work.

Tweak recovery times for each move to make more basic moves feel worth it.

Add move properties to reward the use of more dangerous moves in certain situations. Don't make another game where you need to figure out the safe moves and just stick to them. Give the player a reason to use a variety of moves and to take a risk.

Also they have to find a way to improve natural flow. There is a flow in games like MKA, but it doesn't feel natural to me. It feels limited, like you have very few choices at any given time. Games like Soul Blade that are very old and don't have the most extensive move lists still feel like they have much better flow and better timing to the moves than any of the 3D MK games.

XL

Noob
I think he meant how could the 3D games have worse graphics than the 2D games.

Computer generated wise, yes, it is much better. However, the 2D Mortal Kombat used human sprites, which even to this day holds up well in the graphics department.